Fridge jockeys I salute you

Done fridge work in the past but always day work. Doing a bit at the moment as our main job is a bit slow. Anyway due to Manchester being in virtual road meltdown yesterday I didn’t make it back.
Parked at a truck stop furthest from anyone as I know how much I hate them. Had the worst nights sleep ever. With it cutting in and out. Got a head like a bear today.

I can sleep any where generally.

If anyone does that a lot I salute you.

Leave it on constant?

never had an issue, although tended to run them constant rather than on/off.

mind you during the summer i have a big fan thing that garages use and that’s on all night blearing away, think i am opposite as its normally when its too quiet i struggle.

On the odd occasion I have pulled a fridge and had to night out, less than a handful of times, I learnt a valuable lesson the first night… switch the thing off! I know you shouldn’t but I’ve never had any feed back so all was good. I avoid fridge work like the plague, so yes, hats off to the guys that do fridge work.

This after noon I have been waiting for three hours to be tipped and I have running fridges all around me. Had a decent kip with the constant noise so if I ever do it again that’s what I will do.

I have been educated

Having done fridge work,I found that some fridges are quieter than others, there are some that will frequently race away when defrosting whilst others don’t or they are set up differently , But you get used to it and it stops being as much of a problem , unless you get one that is ■■■■■■ as for switching the fridge off whilst you sleep, that all depends on what you are loaded with, As you don’t want the load being rejected because the temp wasn’t kept at a constant level or within a certain range

Buy a set of earplugs from any chemist for a couple of quid. They let me sleep through (just about) anything!

Been doing agency shifts on my holiday this week, most of it has been fridge work. In the back of the trailer tipping the load and the fridge roars into action… jumped out my skin a few times :open_mouth:

God only knows how someone could sleep with that racket in their ear drum!!! I guess it would take some getting used to.

:grimacing: :grimacing:

I could sleep like a baby with them on constant. Drowned out the road traffic noise and sudden stuff that woke me up. Not cycle sentry though, that woke me up. Some rattled like a jack russell playing inside the dishwasher. The vibration was quite soothing. Also made me wake up with a stalk on… …kidding :smiley:

Roymondo:
Buy a set of earplugs from any chemist for a couple of quid. They let me sleep through (just about) anything!

+1…they really do work…buy the soft ones. Red/yellow…excellent

Sometimes carry stuff that has to be kept warm…on curtainsiders.
We’re hiring trailers atm(new ones on order)…and they’re well past their sell by date.
I’d get lynched if i parked next to anyone with the motor running,so i run it at full blast for a couple of hours…then switch it off.

I’ve heard off some lads that pull fridges that they have been known to wake up in the middle of the night when at home or on holiday and wake the missus/cow bag up thinking the fridge ain’t working as they’re so used to hearing it when they’re asleep is this true? :smiley:
I’m one of those folk that can sleep next to a fridge no probs as when I was younger I loved listening to " White Noise" to send me to sleep such as the washing machine being on or my mum using the vac.

Gangan:
On the odd occasion I have pulled a fridge and had to night out, less than a handful of times, I learnt a valuable lesson the first night… switch the thing off! I know you shouldn’t but I’ve never had any feed back so all was good.

Oh jesus, not another one who thinks this is alright :open_mouth:

Roymondo:

This is what I do ^^^. We’ve not had a thread on fridges and their noise for several weeks now have we !!

I had a bad one once so I dropped it out side the truck stopped locked the doors and parked in the truck stop for a good nights what happened 2 hours later a bloody fridge trailer parked next to me so still didn’t get a good sleep this could only happen to me

Bud,

Just doing fridge work brings out the shivers in me literally, truly hate it with a passion, my hats are truly off to you polar bears. However don’t mind if you boys pull up in the night with one running never disturbed me yet.

I’ve only ever pulled 4 in my time so far and hated the work.

I truly salute all you boys and midlifetrucker having to adapt to it!

Best of luck :sunglasses:

C

taz1972:
I had a bad one once so I dropped it out side the truck stopped locked the doors and parked in the truck stop for a good nights what happened 2 hours later a bloody fridge trailer parked next to me so still didn’t get a good sleep this could only happen to me

fist of all fair play to the drivers who put up with the fridges im a new driver and 3 weeks ago on my first day/night out in a artic i parked up in strensham services on the m5 purposely parked by all the other trucks who did not have fridges mainly car transporters in the middle of the night i had a gist lorry park up next to me with the fridge running and he couldnt of put it any closer to my cab if he tried i woke up several times through the night and could not sleep in the morning when i got up and opened up the curtains i found that he had dumped it next to me and uncoupled and parked his unit a couple bays away from the trailer so at this point i was less than impressed as he could of parked elsewere in the services as it wasnt anywhere near full that night so that just about summed up my first night out with very little sleep and i have not stayed in a services since

the only request is people with fridges please try youre best to park away from other trucks who have parked up for the night feel free to shoot me here as im new

Peterborough can be pretty bad at times. Today I woke up at 2am, 2 hours before my alarm by a Mculla fridge going great guns. He wasn’t there when I parked up so must of arrived later on. That thing was on constant but every now again it would kick into a higher RPM range. At first I thought it was someone reving the nuts off their motor…

Radar19:
Peterborough can be pretty bad at times. Today I woke up at 2am, 2 hours before my alarm by a Mculla fridge going great guns. He wasn’t there when I parked up so must of arrived later on. That thing was on constant but every now again it would kick into a higher RPM range. At first I thought it was someone reving the nuts off their motor…

It was probably doing a defrost cycle when it was running at a higher RPM range,