Fridge box won't start

I have picked up a fridge trailor that won’t start. 2 main codes are battery too low 7.3v and check circuit-- short circuit. I did notice that the voltage was creeping up on its own but timed out before it got much above 8 volts and when I restarted it it was back to 7.3.

Any ideas otherwise I’m stuck here till gone midnight waiting for the service people.

Flat battery I’m afraid. You’ve got a long wait, the good news is a jump start will fire it straight up. Make sure you set it to constant run however as you don’t want it cutting out without enough ooomph to restart itself.

I’ll get the guy to do that for me as I don’t have a bloody clue with these things

:smiley: :smiley: Take a clear pic of the fridge display mate and post it and I’ll talk you through it.

the maoster:
Flat battery I’m afraid. You’ve got a long wait, the good news is a jump start will fire it straight up. Make sure you set it to constant run however as you don’t want it cutting out without enough ooomph to restart itself.

And if jump starting from truck only connect to one battery, as fridges are 12v

Good point ^^^ I don’t reckon it’ll be a jump from the truck though as he said someone is coming out to him and I imagine it’ll be in a van with leads or jump pack.

Ok just seen a button marked start/stop and continuous I guess I press that

Yeah that’s it. If the battery is dead you’ll not be able to programme that until it’s running. Constant is what you want

Edit to add “continuous “

the maoster:
Good point ^^^ I don’t reckon it’ll be a jump from the truck though as he said someone is coming out to him and I imagine it’ll be in a van with leads or jump pack.

The only place I’ve ever seen that does this is Virginia but all their trucks and fridges are wired up with lead from one of truck batteries and lead from fridge and an Anderson connector on the ends so all you have to do is plug it in, jump starting a fridge takes seconds that way, and many times a running fridge got my lorry with flat batteries going. Why this isn’t standard fitment is baffling

I agree Luke. We carry nothing along them lines and with numerous drop trailers around the country we inevitably end up picking trailers up with a flat battery. We then have to wait for assistance to arrive. Time consuming and expensive but it’s their train set I suppose.

I would check if the fridge has diesel in it. I have very limited fridge experience, but once was a flat battery because it had run out of diesel but had carried on trying to start itself.

the maoster:
I agree Luke. We carry nothing along them lines and with numerous drop trailers around the country we inevitably end up picking trailers up with a flat battery. We then have to wait for assistance to arrive. Time consuming and expensive but it’s their train set I suppose.

I guess that in this day and age, the steering wheel attendant would not be allowed to use such initiative anyway, lest he hooks the fridge up to the 24 volts directly… :wink:

BTW, if the voltage is 7.3 , the battery is expired. Its gone to join the choir invisible. It is bereft of live. It’s shuffled of this mortal coil. It’s dead.

7.3v from a normal 12v lead acid battery, means replacement. It won`t hold a charge.

stu675:
I would check if the fridge has diesel in it. I have very limited fridge experience, but once was a flat battery because it had run out of diesel but had carried on trying to start itself.

Good point.
Always (or hope the fitter does) look for a root cause to any problem.

Franglais:
7.3v from a normal 12v lead acid battery, means replacement. It won`t hold a charge.

stu675:

Good point.
Always (or hope the fitter does) look for a root cause to any problem.

one would of thought the battery would of been replaced but no/ looked like one of those spira technology batteries dont know alot about them

update for anyoone thats intrested. fitter arrived and spent 20 mins charging the battery then another 10 downloading the data. I did ask what was the cause of the issue but didnt get an answer he just said he had reset it all.

I susspect that what ever this short circuit - check circuit was about had caused the thing to stop working and then like someone said it kept trying to restart untill eventualy the battery was flat.

stu675:

good call however i always check the fule tank as 99 times out of 100 they are low. I got caught out a couple of times.

maybe a silly question and one not for a public forum but if the temp of the fridge was supposed to be +10 and the ambient temp of the trailor was +14 who would of / should i of jusy cracked on.

cooper1203:
maybe a silly question and one not for a public forum but if the temp of the fridge was supposed to be +10 and the ambient temp of the trailor was +14 who would of / should i of jusy cracked on.

That’s the…

Kind of problem to be dumped on a planners lap. If I pick up a trailer and it’s outside the temperature range, I ring in. It’s a box ticking exercise that covers your own backside. Nine times out of ten they’ll say run with it. Get to the drop and it’s rejected for temperature problems and you didn’t ring in, guess who’s ■■■ is in the sling?

yourhavingalarf:

cooper1203:

That’s the…

Kind of problem to be dumped on a planners lap. If I pick up a trailer and it’s outside the temperature range, I ring in. It’s a box ticking exercise that covers your own backside. Nine times out of ten they’ll say run with it. Get to the drop and it’s rejected for temperature problems and you didn’t ring in, guess who’s ■■■ is in the sling?

guess i did the right thing then as it was them that organised the fitter to come out