Fresh Start

Hello All,

Looking at some advice from one and all.
Got my licences whilst serving in the Army, passed C+E many moons ago but not drove for a long time and that was mainly class 2.
Understand I need DCPC & digi taco card just to be looked at…
Looking at doing a couple of refresher days with a local school maybe at cat C just to get back into it.
Wanting to know - without the experience will the agencies touch me? And what will the best type of work to go for? And what should I be wary of? As neve had any experience with any sort of agencies.
Looking to build up the hours and experience on cat C for a few months then look at moving on th C+E work (when I know I’m competent)
In the Durham area if that helps for agency comments.

Comments/advice please :smiley:

Alright mate,

I was in the same postion as u last year done my tickets 5 year ago and never hardly touched a truck.
If u passed after sept 2009 you need to do mod 2 and 4, to gain you cpc card.
If you passed before that you need to do your 35 hours cpc.
You need get a digi card aswell.

Civy street is different from military it takes a lot of getting use to.

If you sent your cvs of to companies you will get a start with someone easy mate.

I got a start easy and Iv had a lot of f–k ups on the way.

If your honest and tell companies your like a new driver they will be patient with you and give you a chance. If you ■■■■■■■■■ and ■■ up you will get sacked.

The thing you got in your favour is you have had your licence for years so it won’t look like a new driver on the companies insurance.

Also it says on your digi print out how many days driving you have done.

It takes a lot of getting use to doing civi driving. I thought I could bluff jump in a truck and drive. Iv been at it 4 months and I’m still like a novice. You stick out like a sore thumb aswell lol

Thanks for the reply,

Been out 4 years now (done the 22 so not a spring chicken), was Artillery so never drove much whilst serving especially in the latter years. Only need the 35 hours been quoted just under £300 for the lot over one week.

Best pull the finger out and get sorted

Try Jason 07500423054 for cpc training can recommend him ( he has done the job )

There are a few companies in the area that will do a refresher for you

Also a few companies will take on a newish driver just be honest with them depends on what kind of job you are looking for

This could be of some use

gov.uk/government/publicati … cles-in-gb

If your definately going to go ahead with the CPC 35 hours, (sit in a classroom, no pass or fail ) you should also send off for your DIGI CARD sooner rather than later, you need a form d777b download and print, fill in form then pay fee (£38), it might take a couple of weeks to arrive, or longer if you hit the seasonal post, As for the CPC i read on here that your “supposed” to get a certificate at the end of each 7 hour day, but we never got any till a couple of weeks after the whole course, your DQC (driver qualification card) arrives soon after last cpc day.
i have C test next week :open_mouth: no spring chicken either.

Cheers guys

Best of luck for the test trotsky3

Just checked that link already found that one - thanks animal

CPC booked and Digi Card applied for.
Any suggestions for a good agency for temp work around the Durham /N East?

Thanks

DSR:
Cheers guys

Best of luck for the test trotsky3

Just checked that link already found that one - thanks animal

Thanks

1st class 2 lesson MONDAY test FRI
Got 7.5 to fall back on if it doesnt go well.
approach agencies with the " i can do it no problem " attitude.

CPC starting tomorrow for the full 5 days…

I used to work at ADR at Newton Aycliffe, on the co-op contract at Birtley, money ok, pulling the cages a bit hard but get used to it, early starts and early finishes if ta wanted some days done by 1400, who you doing DCPC with? I need to do mine, so I can get some HGV/PSV Work

Doing it with Uget training in sunderland, got a deal on at the moment :smiley:

ugetraining.co.uk

I did two of mine in Sleaford. Really good prices. A woman even comes in with sandwiches and cakes and tea at half time included in the price.

willimottcpc.co.uk

DSR:

ugetraining.co.uk

Done some of mine there the lad that does it Jason is good knows his stuff ex driver ( think he also done some recovery ) can recommend

Day 1 of 5 done - Digital Tachograph and Drivers Hours :slight_smile:

Day 2 of 5 done - Basic first aid for drivers

Any good got a quote from chartwise on team valley £55 per 7 hours

DSR:

ugetraining.co.uk

Thanks just checked him out he’s a £5 per day cheaper, so I would be about £15 better off at the end of the course, coatings for my petrol from the land of shearer

Yeah been good, coming from a non driving background topics been informative and James (the instructor) being a driver knows his stuff, also get free biscuits nibbles and brews :smiley:

Day 3 of 5 done - Manual Handling, Vehicle Loading and Customer Service.

Day 4 of 5 done - Fuel Efficient Driving and Route Planning :smiley: