Fresh Start

Day 5 of 5 done -Health and Safety in Transport :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Time to start pestering the agency’s, and sort out the CV.

DQC arrived today not bad seeing as I only finished the last 7 hours on Friday :smiley:

Just need to get some work now

Just bagged myself a full day C+E refresher training for free :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hello mate,

I am currently still serving but wanted to get my foot on the ladder, I went down the route of trying agencies, told them my situation and they wanted me to do a 4 hour refresher course for £265 etc etc, spoke to a very trusty contact in the industry who said don’t touch it, it aint even worth the money. Agencies are a mixed bag, a lot of them are only bothered about fulfilling the contracts so will chuck you in the deep end which is NOT what you want in this day and age!!!

I also went down the route of getting on google and searching for all haulage companies in the area and knocking on doors giving them my situation and basically asking for a chance, the little “one man bands” they can’t drive their truck 7 days a week so you could throw that one in there, or something like when was the last time you took the missus on holiday, oh not for years!! That is a blinder because you can say, well if you teach me right and take me under your wing, show me the ropes, I can run your truck so you can take the missus away! Keep it earning.

If they chin you off then just say thank you, smile, and say your loss!!! That will get them thinking…why is it my loss?? Then couple of weeks down the road they could be in a situation of ■■■■ I need a driver, wish I took that guys number now!!

Anyway, I have landed on my feet big time, managed to get my CPC done for nothing, due to a spare slot on a course a civvy guy came into camp to run, then applied for my digicard, posted application on the Wednesday and had it arrive on the Monday!!! My contact I mentioned earlier spoke to his gaffer, explained my situation to which they said yeah get him to ring up.

I duly phoned up, went down to the yard to do some paperwork etc little assessment, done a bit of reversing practice in the yard afterwards on my own. Few rough edges but they are happy to crack on so I am going back for a day with there trainer/assessor next week and all being well, weekend work and holiday work after that!!!

If you go down the route of knocking on doors, have everything with you and if they give you an application form, take it out to the car, fill it out there and then and then go back in and give it to them say thank you and away you go, they would probably chuck it on the desk, but again, a situation may arise where they suddenly need a driver, and they could be like bugger where’s that guys application that came in the other day!!!

Sorry if I have babbled rambled quite a lot and hope I aint sounding like I am talking down to you, but just passing on advice I was given!!! Which is working out very well at the minute, as it is all down to me putting in a good day next week!!! :smiley:

All advice is good,
The day is free, will use it to identify all the week points ( will be a few). Not able to go full time employed due to being self employed at the moment so will just be looking to gain some experience doing weekend work starting cat c until happy to move up to C+E. Already spoke to a local training company to do further training hours which seem reasonable rates. CV’s gone out to a few companies but not had the chance to get out and about in person due to playing catch up from doing CPC last week, planning on that next week so if anyone know any companies that takes on inexperienced please let me know…