French Language

Do any of you international drivers get the opportunity to use the French language in your work?

What are some of the regular lorry-related phrases that you rely on?

only phrase I found which isn’t French was ‘no problem’, normally followed by I no mange if I pay that if stopped by the gendarmes and fined.

caffe au lait merci was about the only other thing I used.

Bonjour monsieur je m’appelle
Iguana du chauffeur du camion , ici pour vous livrer votre voiture.

Generally my French is terrible, I can only really remember one phrase from school, its not that useful tho! :wink:

Mon aéroglisseur est plein d’anguilles

Haha, your hovercraft is full of eels? Poor you! I guess google at your fingertips has made communicating that bit easier, not that you want to be playing with your phone when you’re grappling to regain control of your hovercraft from the mass of attacking eels.

Heh-heh.

I decided to learn some French for when we first went there on our hols. Used Rosetta Stone and found it really easy to learn with that. I’ve tried Duolingo but all it seems to want to teach you is that someone has a red robe and they’re rich.

I had a time in France, in very rural Dordogne middle of nowhere, no English speakers at all at the place, they understood my butchered Fronglais fine, but I just couldn’t understand what they were saying to me I understood ( I thought) - yes the vehicle is here to collect but is an invoice to pay, but the why & the numbers & various other stuff was just too confusing, zero phone signal, hmmmm “vous avez un computer (yes I know they don’t like the word computer but I couldn’t think of ordinateur at the time) avec internet s’il vous plaît?” = “Oui” was the answer, so I sat beside this lady & we typed via google translate- (on those odd French keyboards) we sort the figure out & can I pay by card etc etc, without the net it would have been tricky.

iguana:
Mon aéroglisseur est plein d’anguilles

I have a Hungarian phrasebook. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Poids lourds interdit . :wink: :laughing:

This used to worry them or make them think you were crazy.
Je souffre de la rage.

3 wheeler:
This used to worry them or make them think you were crazy.
Je souffre de la rage.

They probably thought you were saying you are afraid of thunder storms or have rabies or both. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bouchons : Traffic jam.
Je suis vide : i am empty .
Ou est le fabrique : Where is the factory.
Depannage : Breakdown .
Je suis en panne : I am broken down.
Interdit : Forbiden.
Douche : Shower .
Bains : Bath, sale de bains : Bath room .
La route : The way.
A gauche, droite : left and right.
Il faut pour payez les facture : It is neccesary to pay the bill.
Boison : Drink.
Mangez : To eat.
Fatigue : Tired.
Dormez : Sleep.
Voiture : Car.
Camion : Lorry or Poids Lourds which means heavy weight.Parking PL Lorry parking.
Permis : Licence.

toby1234abc:
La route : The way.
A gauche, droite : left and right.
Camion : Lorry or Poids Lourds

More often Voie way/lane.Route more often road in general over a distance.

Toute droit go straight on.

Poids Lourds interdit sauf livraisons.Trucks prohibited except for deliveries.

Forget all the above in Alsace where they view speaking French as an insult.In which case ein und zehn isn’t eleven. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Listen very carefully, I shall say this only vonce…

la petite grenouille avec une grande bouche…

I still can’t find the town of Toutes Directions, followed the signs for hours but never get there. :confused:

Me too muckles…ha ha …i did learn the basics like toby has mentioned, but a baguette avec fromage et jambon and a cafe o lait seems to suffice, plus une bierre sil vous plait…ha ha oh, not forgetting the old swasson neuf…cant be messed with spelling it…

Not travelled for a while but due to the language similarities I can get by most places with a mixture of Spanish and English. My wife says im quite the cunnilinguist.
Ironic as last night she was on the tip of my tongue.

Its often said (or im making it up) that the first victim of marriage is ■■■■■■■■■■■, so im doing my best to keep this ancient art alive. I may be straying off topic a bit but its Friday and ive had a couple of shandys.

muckles:
I still can’t find the town of Toutes Directions, followed the signs for hours but never get there. :confused:

Same here, I got lost looking for route barree

Does anybody else like Camembert?

I [zb]ing love Camembert.

In the oven for half an hour, add a ■■■■ load of garlic bread. Dip, dip.

Oh ■■■■ me pink. What else is there?

Contraflow:
Does anybody else like Camembert?

I [zb]ing love Camembert.

In the oven for half an hour, add a [zb] load of garlic bread. Dip, dip.

Oh [zb] me pink. What else is there?

Try em on the BBQ…

Bonnet de douche.