French breathalysers now compulsory

Another surrender monkey money making scheme:

dailymail.co.uk/travel/artic … rists.html

(Can’t believe nobody has posted this yet.)

Ken.

But you will have a massive problem complying with the new requirements. In fact, it is currently impossible for a HGV or PSV driver to comply with the French law.

The reason?

Well…the french limit for “professional” drivers is 0.02% abv…and the Gendarmerie will expect you to be carrying breathalysers that have that limit marked on them.
The device has to be “NF” approved, which means they are only permitted to have one line marked on them. Currently there isn’t a UK supplier of “NF” approved devices which are marked to the 0.02% limit, they are all marked to the “normal” drivers limit of 0.05%.
You can get devices marked with the 0.02% limit, but they aren’t currently NF approved so don’t comply with the law.

I have ordered for our drivers a batch of NF approved devices, and have written confirmation from our trade body, that it is currently not possible to source a supply of the correct devices.

So, you have a choice, get a 0.02% non approved device or get an approved 0.05% device which doesn’t apply to “professional” drivers. Either way you aren’t complying with the law…but those are the only 2 options.

But are these available in France :question:

Quinny:
Another surrender monkey money making scheme:

dailymail.co.uk/travel/artic … rists.html

(Can’t believe nobody has posted this yet.)

Ken.

There were several threads about it at the end of last year and early January

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79082&hilit=alcohol+france

Lady P:

I believe that only two companies manufacture these NF stamped devices.Both are of course French :unamused: .I have also read (somewhere-sorry) that they are sold at channel ports and of course at every French super/hiper market.Not tested this out myself yet,so feel free to regard this as a mmtm.

Sir +:

Lady P:

I believe that only two companies manufacture these NF stamped devices.Both are of course French :unamused: .I have also read (somewhere-sorry) that they are sold at channel ports and of course at every French super/hiper market.Not tested this out myself yet,so feel free to regard this as a mmtm.

I think I have read the same info as well but will wait & see

They are not going to start fining people for 6 months, even then its only 11 Euros, £7/8.

bought a pack of 2 today at halfords only £5-99, will keep in motor just in case.

We have just been given these, they are saying that the legislation has been put off until November …
Along with this memo

Sorry it’s small …

miketdt:
bought a pack of 2 today at halfords only £5-99, will keep in motor just in case.

Would rather take my chance with getting caught and paying a £7 fine rather than pay that price! :angry:

Check the ones that you have bought…i’ll bet they are the 0.05% ones!

DonutUK:

just checked mine and can’t see % anywhere.

russell2587:

DonutUK:

just checked mine and can’t see % anywhere.

The £5.99 ones from Halfords are being offered by different suppliers as 0.05%.

Got mine in france

I don’t mean to sound daft here but are they the use once and then throw type or can they be used more than once ?

bald bloke:
I don’t mean to sound daft here but are they the use once and then throw type or can they be used more than once ?

Single use only.

OK this may sound daft but please excuse my ignorance I’ve been away from international driving for a while but coming back to it in a couple of weeks. With these breathalysers are you supposed to use one each day before you start driving and keep it in case you get a pull or are they to be used if plod pulls you so that they save money using their own ?
Do they really think that someone over the limit will actually use one then stay put until they are OK to drive?

Here’s a daft question,
French plod pulls you on Monday ,you have your regulation 2 breath kits , he gets you to use one , will he give you any paperwork to say used so if pulled by plod on Tuesday you wont be charged as you only have one (unused) ?

Fallmonk:
Here’s a daft question,
French plod pulls you on Monday ,you have your regulation 2 breath kits , he gets you to use one , will he give you any paperwork to say used so if pulled by plod on Tuesday you wont be charged as you only have one (unused) ?

AIUI you only need one unused one.

It would be better from a safety poit of view if every motor was fitted with the ones where if you are not under the limit the vehicle wont start. Eddie.