Freeview

Can anyone reccomend an aerial that will receive freeview. My tv has it built in and my current aerial is good enough for the five normal channels but I want freeview. Any ideas

bugcos:
Can anyone reccomend an aerial that will receive freeview. My tv has it built in and my current aerial is good enough for the five normal channels but I want freeview. Any ideas

Had to change the ariel and the coax on mine to receive digital - if thats any help

Hi Bug, I’d have thought you’ll need an amplified aerial for freeview mate…I was in Currys today (looking for that TV you recommended) and saw quite a few mobile aerials with “freeview” on the box. I think they ranged from a tenner to about 30 quid.

BTW, I forgot what the TV you got is…any chance of a link to it? Ta mate.

Argos Aerials
and luk 4 Telecam TCE2000 Wideband Indoor Aerial. 534/2000 thts the one ive got does the job

(Adjusted that link for you. Simon)

comet.co.uk/shopcomet/produc … RK-LVD163D

This is the on ShreK although it seems to have gone up by a tenner since I bought it :open_mouth:
Also bought a freeview aerial for a tenner from currys but its no good so gonna take it back and try the one in the previous post.

■■■■ it and see first. Pre amps/ boosters, I wouldnt bother because most have no filtering at all on them and will boost out of band signals. If you have a CBer of Ham next door your telly will wave the white flag.

If you have problems receiving on your standard setup ONLY THEN go for a fresh aerial and coax ( Dont forget, if damp gets in the coax the coax will be as much use as a piece of wet string)

At home in the bedroom we use Freeview from Waltham. there is 2 areials, one pointing at Waltham the other at Belmont. I had to disconnect the Belmont aerial because Waltham’s Freeview is in similar channels to Belmont’s analogue.

Hope this helps
Tony

Shrek,try looking at maplin web site,they do one for about £63.

I had a chap who fitted a DAB radio to a truck of mine and connected a TV and frrrview to the same aeriel, It’s a Bosch one, think about 40 quid.

Most ariels you see in the truckstops do freeview, they are very tricky to tune in, you may get nothing after youve done a search, then if you move ariel half an inch it will pick loads up. I usually tune the analogue channels in first, then start on the digital channels, usually works well.

I am no expert but i have been told that amplified aeriels are not going to improve freeview pictures. Apparently you need a directional aerial!
I bought a small 8" inch tv from maplins with built in freeview, that came with small mag mounted aerial in box and works perfectly. It’s a nikkai.

Are we talking ‘in cab tv’ here? been thinking about getting one, but where do i find one in buckinghamshire/northamptonshire?

i use a cb aerial for my freeview box.

gary chip:
i use a cb aerial for my freeview box.

The aerial that came with the tv i bought is remarkably like a cb aerial so you might be on to something there.

I have portable freeview tv and it came with a little mag mount aerial, but i also had to buy a booster for it which did improve it a lot, but you will still have trouble getting a decent picture, the best place i found was thurrock, you will need to buy an outside aerial an indoors one will be crap.

Try this
maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod … doy=search

or this
twenga.co.uk/offer/0137070104.html

i had a omnimax ariel which was ok but a few lads at my firm have a big metal ariel the type you see on house roofs atatched to the back of the cab and then plug the coax into one opf those magic wand ampliphiers and they get a brilliant picture from freeview anywhere in the country the magic wand needs a 12volt supply

one of these

Carl:
one of these

i have one of those boosters and it makes a big difference to the amount of channels i get.(i use a small magmount ariel)

Asda were doing a cheap Hi Gain aerial, 17 quid off the top of me head. Came with coax, fixing bracket etc etc… I’m about 35 miles from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter and get nearly every channel bearing in mine its inside the house on my chest of draws!

Don’t spend a fortune on a aerial. Take a look here http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe? type in your post code and it should give you some idea how far your transmitter is output power etc etc, from there you can make an aerial choice…

I have been told on more than 1 occasion that you need an aerial outside of the vehicle to get the best freeview reception.

I’ve done threads about this and bassically gave up, reception was crap at best, :exclamation: unless you want to have a large freeview arial on a pole outside of your cab whilst watching and where do you store it during the day? the problem with all these DVBT arials is the you can’t have an overlapping signal, in other words you must have a strong signal from any single transmitter, and what’s the chance of that happening? i’m now looking for a portable satellite system that plugs into a USB port on my laptop.