Fowler Welch - Some advice

Not been around trucks for some time and am now back looking for driving work and to get my first full time driving job hopefully!

Spoke to an agency this morning who said they should be able to get me into Fowler Welch in Washington doing some trunk runs. Now a few questions with me A: not having that much experience and B:Needing to get it right!

Anyone work for them? What are they like?

Anything I should know that could help me?

I know to check the temperature/s but haven’t used a fridge trailer and also do they split couple? (not done this before either) or do they have the pull out things on the trailer?

I’ve only driven box fridges to shops and not put anything on a bay so i’d be a bit lost! :open_mouth: Needless to say i’ve got a lot spinning round in my head as I obviously want to do the best I can.

Don’t work for them but noticed you’ve had no reply so far, if you’re trunking with them then it should be easy steady work and for parking on bays most places nowadays are all purpose built for artics giving you a fair bit of maneuvering space and you’ll have lines and wheel guides to keep you straight.
Just relax and enjoy yourself because it doesn’t sound too difficult to me. :sunglasses:

Did a bit for them a while ago, most work then was tesco rdc and reload cakes back to yard or veg back to coop birtley pretty easy work.
Bays are easy enough to get on the ones i did anyway and they were an alright bunch to work for, went in did me job came home but i am old school so ducks back me thinks.
You could do worse than them give it a go nothing to loose they set your temperatures for you just check when you leave its set right if your not sure ask they wont bite.

Have worked for other depots and can recommend them. Been to Washington once where they appear to do supermarket RDC deliveries and some shop deliveries for Tesco using Tesco trailers. Three points to watch out for: DO NOT couple up to a trailer that is on a loading dock with a red light on - assume that no lights showing means red and return to traffic and tell them; check the delivery notes against the load floor plan to make sure that everything is loaded and where it is on the trailer, just in case one pallet is behind a bulkhead at a different temperature; make sure that when you eventually have a loaded trailer that the delivery time is achievable and let the traffic office know if it is doubtful. Washington seem to have some very strange ideas about travelling times.Remember though that they do the same deliveries almost every day and are used to problems, so do know what is normally possible therefore you need to be prepared to give it a try, while letting them know that you have your doubts and may be asking for help later.

Other points: ensure that you know how to work the cab phone and that the direct dial to washington works- company drivers have a habit of messing about with the direct dial and you will find that when you want to use the phone all dialled calls are blocked. Open the fridge doors on non Tesco trailers and identify that you have the right load and that it is secured properly - it must have rear straps or bars. Do not take out a defective vehicle, they are very hot on this and will tranship a trailer for you very quickly, but do check out the intended replacement trailer first. Do the pre- shift vehicle checks properly and complete the form before leaving. They get annoyed if you run the fridge out of fuel and you will find many, many times that it need it when you pick it up ; likewise vehicle tank.

Best policy is if in doubt about anything, find a shunter and ASK you will look more of a fool if you get it wrong when you could have asked. Not everybody has worked every type of fridge so get the two minute lecture, when you can ask about that depot’s policy on spit coupling. Try " Hello, can I be a pain, I’ve done this job for others before, but can you spare me a minute and give me a quick run through of the way FW like it to be done and how to set the temperature in case I have a back load".

cav551:
check the delivery notes against the load floor plan to make sure that everything is loaded and where it is on the trailer, just in case one pallet is behind a bulkhead at a different temperature;

The load floor plan? Is that a printout of where each item should be within the trailer? How would I know if it’s all loaded though?

Sorry for all the questions, like I say I want to get things right and learn how to do everything the best I can.

Did a couple of years with them when they were at Gateshead Depot, not a bad set of lads really, but dont know if John Bentleys still in charge there or not

Agency lads did a lot of the trunking work, i.e Gateshead to Spalding depot or Tesco’s Livingston, As long as you dont go there with the Gung Ho attitude you should have no problems.

“IF” they have you on trunking work to Spalding they might throw in the odd delivery to Morrisons at Stockton very rare but it did happen, if they do and you feel you wont get it delivered within your time (Stockton were never the fastest to tip) simply phone Fowlers and let them know you’ll probably be out of time and they will send another driver out.

Apart from that they aint bad, but they aint the best of payers rate wise, expect a bit sitting around waiting for a motor as they believe in using them to their full potential, i.e not parked up doing nowt so you’ll get one thats just been out on a job.

Do your checks, and also check for accident damage just to cover yourself even if its old damage mention it so they know before you go out, their not slave drivers so you’ll probably find them ok, but like I say just expect a bit sitting around with them.

Thanks.

A very newbie question: what do I put the tacho on once it’s on a bay and I’m waiting about?

MrMartyn1984:
Thanks.

A very newbie question: what do I put the tacho on once it’s on a bay and I’m waiting about?

Unless things have changed the trailers are normally loaded, or if your told to just hook up to the trailer it’s other work whilst hooking up then break or POA, you dont help load as your not allowed on the loading bay with the forkies running in and out.

Same at spalding, simply back on the designated bay by security guy, drop trailer, then go and hand paperwork into office, they’ll then tell you what your taking back after your break and whether its currently on a bay or loaded and in trailer park.

Washington, when you get in at start of your shift,they’ll tell you whats what, but I doubt you’d have a truck before the trailer Lol

Sorry I should of worded my question better. Once I’ve taken trailer to wherever and I’m waiting on a bay what do you then put the tacho on?

Or is it more likely a trailer drop and pick another one up and go.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Other work when handing paper work in

Break when sitting in canteen twiddling thumbs

If on trunking to spalding there never was such a thing as swap and go Lol they had me starting 4pm to get there for 8pm and sitting until 4am for a trailer to come back but normally its around 2am when the trailers are ready to come back or at least it was when I was there.

Tescos Livingstone normally break whilst they tip you

That is a LOT of waiting around!

Are you able to stay in cab for that or drivers waiting room?

I use to just take the unit up into the top end of the yard and go to bed, you only hitch up when they tell you at spalding so you can sit in truck or canteen whichever you want, spalding are good in the way that they’ll tell you what time to expect the trailer to be ready, as they are normally waiting for stuff coming in on other trunkers, and they’ll ring the cab phone if you say your going to put your head down.

I did a couple of shifts for these, probably through the same agency, before Christmas. No pressure but they will be watching you on the cameras on your first shift, just making sure you are not messing around, a danger in the yard etc ,so heed the advice given in earlier posts and ask if you are not sure. One thing to note though is you will get paid off you digi card. This means if you are sitting around waiting for a unit then make sure you make manual entries ,putting in the time you turned up at the depot, it’s not your fault if you had to wait. Same deal when finishing, manual entry giving finish time, remember you will have to go to the office to hand in paperwork and get them to download your card, I gave it 15mins. That is what you will be paid off so don’t short change yourself.
Enjoy.

Thanks for the advice about being paid for the hours on card.

How straight forward is it to put a manual entry on?

I certainly wouldnt be messing about so I should be fine there. Only worry for me is if they split couple or not.

What is it you’re worried about with split coupling chap?

As you back under the trailor to hook up, just before you actually do make sure you raise your unit suspension that way you know your not going to miss the pin, also saves damaged to the legs when shunting forward.

Most of the Trailers I’ve had for them had a sliding suzie bulkhead so i just pull it to one side and put the lines on whilst coupled. The only ones that haven’t have been older tautliners out of heywood but there’s loads of room with them. Make sure you fill the unit and trailer up when you get back to the depot or they’ll have a moan.(there should be a fob on the truck keys). Nice and easy work really ideal for getting some experience.

ShropsBri:
What is it you’re worried about with split coupling chap?

Probably just the fact I’ve never done it.

Is it basically the same process apart from stopping before you hit the pin and then hooking it up and then reverse fully under, do tugs etc? And I’ve read many times to definitely make sure the trailer brake is on.

Dont worry about reversing on to a bay, only people on this forum can blindside a bay in one hit with lorries in both bays either side.