Forum rule five

please advise how a haulage company, offering work on a haulage website, when the same site is full of hauliers asking for work is a breach of rule, seems very strange to me

Needham:
please advise how a haulage company, offering work on a haulage website, when the same site is full of hauliers asking for work is a breach of rule, seems very strange to me

Hi Needham, i think one of the site Admin may be in touch with you. But generally adverts are not allowed without permission.

It does seem a bit strange to me, I must admit. If I bought a second truck and was looking for a driver, the logical place to ask would be TruckNet, but I wouldn’t do that because it wouldn’t be allowable, I’d have to advertise in the local newspaper, and ■■■■■■■■ to the TruckNet member who was desperate to earn a crust.

By drivers, for drivers, my arse. :stuck_out_tongue:

Harry Monk:
It does seem a bit strange to me, I must admit. If I bought a second truck and was looking for a driver, the logical place to ask would be TruckNet, but I wouldn’t do that because it wouldn’t be allowable, I’d have to advertise in the local newspaper, and ■■■■■■■■ to the TruckNet member who was desperate to earn a crust.

Harry as you well know, its not a “Haulage Website” per se. The rules are pretty clear, you want to advertise then ask, you’ll be given an answer specific to yourself. There’s plenty of people advertised their vacancies here following that advice. Its not a free for all advertising portal. Of course i realise you already know this. Regarding what you have specifically said, then if you advertised a vacancy in the vacancy forum and meet the criteria for posting a vacancy it would be approved. You carry on rambling and seeing problems that arn’t there. And if you have any problems posting a vacancy you don’t have, feel free to get in touch and i’ll see if i can help out !!

but if you scroll down postings every other one is “I’m starting haulage company, where can I find work” so I thought I need someone so I will let people know, next thing Forum Rule broke and thread removed, can’t win so I guess advertise somebody, somewhere needs a subbie so contact who ever and get in touch,

I thought you could advertise driver vacancies in the DRIVER VACANCIES forum, presumably you can still do that ?

Mike-C:

Harry Monk:

Harry as you well know, its not a “Haulage Website” per se. The rules are pretty clear, you want to advertise then ask, you’ll be given an answer specific to yourself. There’s plenty of people advertised their vacancies here following that advice. Its not a free for all advertising portal. Of course i realise you already know this. Regarding what you have specifically said, then if you advertised a vacancy in the vacancy forum and meet the criteria for posting a vacancy it would be approved. You carry on rambling and seeing problems that arn’t there. And if you have any problems posting a vacancy you don’t have, feel free to get in touch and i’ll see if i can help out !!

Err not so Mike. I pm’d Rikki about a few jobs I know about, be it via an agency who I’ve worked for and trust.
That have been given temp to perm vacancies who will take on Newly qualified drivers cat C & C+E .
I know this because I past a newbie from here to them. He’s now been taken on full time. So by asking I still recived NO REPLY .

tachograph:
I thought you could advertise driver vacancies in the DRIVER VACANCIES forum, presumably you can still do that ?

You can! FTW. :slight_smile:

tachograph:

this forum is for members to alert others of jobs they are personally aware of - not for jobs trawled off the internet.

From the way I read the rules on that forum - if you are the owner or employee of a haulier which has a vacancy then it can be mentioned in that forum …

nick2008:

Mike-C:

Harry Monk:

Err not so Mike. I pm’d Rikki about a few jobs I know about, be it via an agency who I’ve worked for and trust.
That have been given temp to perm vacancies who will take on Newly qualified drivers cat C & C+E .
I know this because I past a newbie from here to them. He’s now been taken on full time. So by asking I still recived NO REPLY .

I take your point Nick. But as far as i know its no agencys in the jobs section. I’d imagine if that was relaxed then agencies would indeed fill it up very quickly.

Mike-C:
I take your point Nick. But as far as i know its no agencys in the jobs section. I’d imagine if that was relaxed then agencies would indeed fill it up very quickly.

I understand that Mike but I was askin Rikki if I could post it with the contact me via pm so I could pass the info on.
the agency is recruiting for the company.

So its not an agency job completely just the probie period / finders fee . and I don’t get anything just knowing I have put a newbie on the road to a full time job .

Mike-C:
Regarding what you have specifically said, then if you advertised a vacancy in the vacancy forum and meet the criteria for posting a vacancy it would be approved. You carry on rambling and seeing problems that arn’t there.

Surely then, the Owner Operators forum is the place for somebody to advise that there is subcontracting available? After all, an Owner Operator is unlikely to be looking in a driver vacancy forum if he is after work.

Mike-C:
And if you have any problems posting a vacancy you don’t have, feel free to get in touch and i’ll see if i can help out !!

I don’t have any problems posting a vacancy I don’t have, because I don’t have a vacancy. That’s why I said “If I bought a second truck…”. “If” isn’t generally considered to be a difficult word to understand. :wink:

OK, some fair questions have been asked…

Mike has answered the one about the posting of jobs, and the rules are clearly explained on the forum index page, and again on a ‘sticky’ topic at the top of the Vacancies Forum.
The idea behind the Vacancies forum is that it is for “real” jobs for DRIVERS.

The reason for the “no agencies” rule is that agencies are a commercial business run with a view to generating revenue and profit. There’s no harm in that in itself, but their adverts are not allowed on TN… unless they pay for them.

A haulage/logistics company looking for subbies is no different, because they are also a commercial business run with a view to generating revenue and profit. There’s no harm in that in itself either, but their adverts are not allowed on TN.

A point worth mentioning about haulage company ‘subby’ adverts (and indeed offers of backloads etc) is that TN might be deemed to be some sort of guarantor for payments and general mediator in any eventual disputes, which the owners of TN do not presently wish to do for a number of reasons. The main reason is that TN is not set up for that type of activity.

Harry Monk:

Mike-C:
Regarding what you have specifically said, then if you advertised a vacancy in the vacancy forum and meet the criteria for posting a vacancy it would be approved. You carry on rambling and seeing problems that arn’t there.

Surely then, the Owner Operators forum is the place for somebody to advise that there is subcontracting available? After all, an Owner Operator is unlikely to be looking in a driver vacancy forum if he is after work.

This subject has been discussed many times before. Operating essentially what is a freight exchange on the forums. Its a no no. For various reasons. You don’t usually miss a trick, i’m suprised that you never read these discussions and where not aware of the outcomes of them. If you where, i’d doubt you’d of asked about them again.

Harry Monk:

Mike-C:
And if you have any problems posting a vacancy you don’t have, feel free to get in touch and i’ll see if i can help out !!

I don’t have any problems posting a vacancy I don’t have, because I don’t have a vacancy. That’s why I said “If I bought a second truck…”. “If” isn’t generally considered to be a difficult word to understand. :wink:

Its an easy word. I’ve used it in the quote above. If you get another truck, If you have a difficulty posting a vacancy? Simple. You wanna waste your time having some sort of intellectual debate with me though on the concept of the word “if” ?

I think i’ve a great grasp on it. “If” Harry Monk would of posted within the rules, he wouldn’t be on pre mod. Catch ya Sunday or Monday, i’m having a few days off, you’ll have to sweat !!!

Sorry for the delay in replying to your PM Nick, I have been off work for over a week… let me try to explain our position with two scenerio’s

Company needs driver -Scenerio 1:
A transport company transports goods around the country for which they get paid, this allows the transport company to pay their bills and their employees to get paid - this is called a business model
Now this company needs more drivers but cant find enough so they contact an agency

An Agency supplies drivers to haulage companies who need them- for this they get paid, this allows the agency to pay their bills and their employees to also get paid- this is also called a business model
Now the agency also cant find enough drivers so they look around the internet and find a website that provides a free forum for drivers and consequently has many using it-

The website allows access to those drivers via advertising opportunities for which they get paid- this allows the website to pay its bills and the employees to get paid - that’s part of our Business model -

perhaps when the transport company starts transporting goods for free and the agency provide the transport company with the required drivers for free we might allow them to advertise here for free- well actually we would not because giving away your biggest asset for free is commercial suicide

I know of a decent job going at my place-Scenerio 2:
Old Fred at a transport company is retiring in a couple of weeks - one of his colleagues is a member of the drivers forum- he knows the job is decent and the gaffer an ok bloke, so as a perk of his free membership of the forum he can let the other users of the website know about the upcoming vacancy- no money changes hands anywhere and it is simply a way of helping out other members…

Scenerio 2 is what the vacancy forum is intended for- and while we are not over exuberant with the rules in there we do have limits on what we will allow - if that forum started impinging on revenue streams that we need to pay the bills and wages it would have to go - I hope that makes our position clearer

Harry Monk:
Surely then, the Owner Operators forum is the place for somebody to advertise that there is subcontracting available? After all, an Owner Operator is unlikely to be looking in a driver vacancy forum if he is after work.

FTFY
See Scenario 1 above but change driver for O/D :wink:

Thanks Rikki

I know its a business your running and as such that’s why I didn’t post without asking and have waited for your response …

I know the jobs were there due to a newly qualified driver looking for advice and I openly told him on a forum where and what agency I found trusting also company’s in the area that may miss the normal radar…

He walked in to the said agency was interviewed, the next day he was taken on Temp 2 perm and has since been take on as a full time employee by the transport company…

yet another success story on the help in securing a new and keen driver to continue in his vocation all because of this Great Forum…

nick2008:
Thanks Rikki

I know its a business your running and as such that’s why I didn’t post without asking and have waited for your response …

I know the jobs were there due to a newly qualified driver looking for advice and I openly told him on a forum where and what agency I found trusting also company’s in the area that may miss the normal radar…

He walked in to the said agency was interviewed, the next day he was taken on Temp 2 perm and has since been take on as a full time employee by the transport company…

yet another success story on the help in securing a new and keen driver to continue in his vocation all because of this Great Forum…

It is no problem- thanks for understanding :slight_smile: I would remind all members that if they wanted to inform another member here, in the situation you described, above we have no issue with members private messaging other members such information, that would not be deemed advertising( as long as they don’t spam other members)- of course those who have lost the pm system privilage would not be able to have that perk.

Needham:

Please see scenerio 1 above but substitute O/D for driver

Hi rikki,
reading you first model, we are not an agency and have not been approached by a haulage company who cannot get O/D or drivers, we are just a small haulage company who needs a subbie using what we have always thought was a site read and used by a large number od O/D looking at all aspects of their work i.e. other work thats out there, we are not a company looking to make money by putting person 1 in touch with person 2 for a fee