Forum rule five

Needham:
Hi rikki,
reading you first model, we are not an agency and have not been approached by a haulage company who cannot get O/D or drivers, we are just a small haulage company who needs a subbie using what we have always thought was a site read and used by a large number od O/D looking at all aspects of their work i.e. other work thats out there, we are not a company looking to make money by putting person 1 in touch with person 2 for a fee

OK if you cant read the process behind scenario 1 I will put it more relevant terms-

You run a small transport business which makes you money to pay your bills- to do so you use your trucks and owner drivers to transport your customers goods - for which you get paid- your assets are your vehicles and owner drivers . - that is your business model

We are a website - that makes us money to pay our bills- to do so we provide a free discussion resource that owner drivers use -we sell advertising access to them for which we get paid- our assets are the people that use the site - that is our business model

It makes no more sense to allow a commercial enterprise to use the site to enter into business arrangements for free than its does for you as a transport company to move goods around the country for free. Surely as a business man you can see giving away our major selling point for nothing is ridiculous.

Just because ones a transport company and the other a website it doesn’t mean the business principle is different- However if you do decide to run your business as a benevolent charity, as you seem to think we should, and you move your customers goods around the country at your own expense then let me know and I may be able to make a special arrangement for you- but as a business its not something we would do in any other situation

EDIT: just read my own post again and realise it sounds unduly harsh- which wasn’t my intention- I mean merely to get over the point that this is a discussion forum, not a place for business arrangements, it also is not a charity- it is provided for free for the users- but like everyone else the people who work for it and the company that runs it have mortgages etc to pay and to do so have a business model that the sort of thing you wanted comes under

Mike-C:
I think i’ve a great grasp on it. “If” Harry Monk would of posted within the rules, he wouldn’t be on pre mod. Catch ya Sunday or Monday, i’m having a few days off, you’ll have to sweat !!!

I’ll just correct you there Mike, I don’t have to work tomorrow or Monday, I’ve specifically asked to. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I’ve learned a lot from this thread. Next time I come across a fellow driver with flat batteries I’ll bear in mind that I’m supposed to be a businessman and that my fully charged batteries and set of jump leads are a valuable asset. My days of helping people out for nothing are well and truly over!

Harry Monk:
Well, I’ve learned a lot from this thread. Next time I come across a fellow driver with flat batteries I’ll bear in mind that I’m supposed to be a businessman and that my fully charged batteries and set of jump leads are a valuable asset. My days of helping people out for nothing are well and truly over!

Harry your analogy only is relevant to this if you make your living from jump starting vehicles with flat batteries… If you did would you then go around doing it for free?