FORS

What is the point to this scheme? Even Earthline have FORS stickers on their lorries now and to my knowledge they don’t go into London.

Agreed, what is the point?
The hoops you have to jump through to get on it! I can just see an office full of bods who have manufactured themselves a job - of talking ■■■■■■■■. Good business for the camera and sensor suppliers/fitters, but are they working? Cyclist and pedestrians are still falling under lorries. I think the long term plan is that you won’t be able to deliver to key locations without being a member of FORS

from what i’ve heard mate, if they join the FORS scheme all the DCPC training is included in the price for all drivers on the firm which works out a lot cheaper than booking courses seperately.

tippermaster:
from what i’ve heard mate, if they join the FORS scheme all the DCPC training is included in the price for all drivers on the firm which works out a lot cheaper than booking courses seperately.

Not sure about that, a Fors Audit was free until recently and still is to those wishing to remain at bronze level

Muckaway:
What is the point to this scheme? Even Earthline have FORS stickers on their lorries now and to my knowledge they don’t go into London.

Fors is not just london it’s now on major sites in city’s across the country .

I suppose it ok if you play golf and are close to a hole in one.

FOUR

taxi

Dan Punchard:

Muckaway:

Fors is not just london it’s now on major sites in city’s across the country .

The new FORS goal as listed on their website is;

“The Fleet Operator Recognition Scheme (FORS) is an accreditation scheme that aims to improve fleet activity throughout the UK and beyond.”

Yup FORS has announced it wants to become a national scheme, which means it will have to be funded by the hauliers joining, at present the London only scheme is funded by TFL

Muckaway:

One point is we have customers that would rather send us than a haulier who’s not Fors accredited just in case it’s a Fors site .

FORS has been rolled out Nationwide this year so it isn’t really just London now - it’s supposed to just show an operator is to a high standard because they bothered to get FORS Bronze.

Also a Transport for London no longer operate the FORS scheme so a lot of the free DCPC and other Trainung is now disappearing as funding dries up

Dan Punchard:

tippermaster:

Not sure about that, a Fors Audit was free until recently and still is to those wishing to remain at bronze level

this was told to me by a TM for a plant firm i worked for around london who was notorious for his twaddle. so fair play Dan i stand corrected lol

FORS used to be funded by TFL, but is now run by AECOM ltd. There is now a charge for all levels. I have just up graded to Silver accreditation, which cost me £50.00 for FORS annual subscription and £235.00 for the on line evidence check. I joined FORS at customer request, as there were various sites I could no longer deliver to, without FORS accreditation. Before upgrading, went to a MACE site, and was told would be turned away, as didn’t meet their requirements. Only tipped me as I explained load was an abnormal load, with a permit, which did not allow me to go elsewhere, Where did they want me to drop the trailer!!

Also, if upgrade from Bronze to Silver, you only have to have an audit of your Operating Centre every two years, so don’t lose a days work and it actually works out cheaper to upgrade!!.

I think FORS will become the ‘norm’ for decent operators to have - at least at Bronze level.

I was looking to get involved in the audit process but chose not to in the end as I think some of it is complete bull ■■■■- but overall a good idea. I know a couple of operators who are FORS approved and talk the talk but don’t walk the walk - I.e on paper they are safe but in reality maybe not and they don’t agree with it all either.

I’ve been bronze for a couple of yrs now and not paid owt (yet) other operators have borrowed my Fors report to get an idea of what they need to be doing before booing a audit ,a local competitor has failed 4 times now I belive .

danalex84:
The new FORS goal as listed on their website is;

“The Fleet Operator Recognition Scheme (FORS) is an accreditation scheme that aims to improve fleet activity throughout the UK and beyond.”

That just sounds like a right load of job creating, box ticking nonsense.
Hansons’ must love it.

As others have said a lot sites require it now Mace especially are very strict on it also Network rail are to my old unit wasn’t Fors/cross rail compliant so had to take one of our fleet 1’s which are crossrail/FORS compliant to a delivery at Birmingham New street station last year I now have a fleet 1 and also sat my crossrail course since as our lot have work on it and are as strict as others ! Also to be a subcontractor to haul loads for who I work for u have to be a member of FORS and have a FORS spec unit and required extra mirrors plus stickers etc ! Else they don’t let u though the gate ! It’s not just Construction industery that has gone into in a big way a lot of Aggregate and General haulage firms are stickered up and members maybe Earthline mite have work which requires it ?

Dan Punchard:
I’ve been bronze for a couple of yrs now and not paid owt (yet) other operators have borrowed my Fors report to get an idea of what they need to be doing before booing a audit ,a local competitor has failed 4 times now I belive .

Hi

If you look at the FORS web site, this now gives the cost from now on. I should have done my Silver a bit earlier to avoid the new charges. Bronze audit now is £420.00 per annum, or £360.00 if 3 or less vehicles. There is also an annual sub now, which ranges from £50.00 for 1 vehicle, £150.00 for 2/3 £350 up to 10, and it goes on. As I said in my previous post, I have done it due to Customer requirement. No FORS then a vastly reduced amount of work!!. It is basically a ‘closed shop’!!

Greggo, yes Earthline do work for some large firms, unlike us who only work for small local firms hence FORS would be a total waste of money for my boss. Farmer Giles,Joe Bloggs Landscaping or John Smith Builders wouldn’t give a toss for all the FORS stickers, underrun bars and stick on cycle warning systems so my truck has none of that rubbish. The FORS lot would have a stroke if they knew I drive diggers despite having no valid ticket and in our yard there’s not a hard hat or hi viz jacket in sight.
Best way too, totally no nonsense job. :sunglasses:

large shops and shopping centres are now getting involved and refusing deliveries I did see something about John Lewis having an issue somewhere. one annoying point to it is the stickers ruining liveries why not a disc in the screen

Another money maker the mafia say you will have to have or you don’t work, I think loads will just get them on the nod. If the haulier has a CPC , an operators licence ,the driver has cpc ,and the other rubbish I can not see a need for it other than to make money . It is time the gov stopped all this and just used EU law and construction and use ect ect