Formula 1 hgv jobs at stobarts

There is also a story on here of a driver who worked for Lord Ecclestone of Short.

A total arrogant short arse whose company treat everyone like crap and pay minimum wage.

I did BSB for the free tickets and free food, that was worth about £150 for the weekend to me, others strongly disagreed at the time, but I am still welcome in the Winnebagos of the rider and the team principles at other race meetings

Speaking from previous experience in the industry / sport… DON’T ever take and F1 job working for a contractor like Stobbart. F1 transport drivers are a class of their own, they get special pay and privilages and are part of the team, there is a system of grades in the sport where ‘Truckies’ move up gradually through GP1 or Touring cars, really good pay and conditions and the perks of being part on an F1 team.
If Stobbarts are going to contract to an F1 team they are asking for any driver they hire to be treated like an outcast by all other team drivers, it will make them sem like leppers, every contracted driver wil be hated in the sport.
Don’t do it unless you want to have the **** taken out of you by the other crews.

Are Stobbarts going to pay the extremely high pay F1 transport drivers get ? … I mean about 50 - 80k a year plus bonuses ? … i very much doubt it.

Pat Hasler:
Are Stobbarts going to pay the extremely high pay F1 transport drivers get ? … I mean about 50 - 80k a year plus bonuses ? … i very much doubt it.

I don’t think the wages are that high anymore Pat, unfortunately the credit crunch has even hit the F1 teams. There is a bloke goes in the pub with his son who drives/drove for Williams, although it is an expensive lifestyle, the actual reward wasn’t that great. He used to operate the fueling rig when it was allowed.

Since leaving he is running a pub with his wife.

Here is the job description for Maclaren Racing from a drivers perspective.

Race car Transporter Drivers are part of the team responsible for getting Vodafone McLaren Mercedes’ race cars to each grand prix. In paddock parlance they are referred to as ‘truckies’, but there’s more to the job than just driving…

The job
“For every European race, a fleet of Mercedes-Benz transporters leaves the McLaren Technology Centre with the combined load of everything the team needs for a race weekend. There are two drivers per transporter and the one I drive with my transporter partner carries the race cars. As such, we’re always the last truck to leave Woking for the circuit. Delivering the team’s three Formula 1 cars is a huge responsibility, but it’s a big privilege, too. Once we arrive at the track, we park the transporters — we line them up to tolerances of a few millimetres — and then we wash and polish them so they look pristine. We also deliver the cars to the airport for flyaways and pick them up when they return.”

How did you get started at McLaren?
“I joined the company in November 1996 when I was 18, and started out working in the warehouse for McLaren Automotive, which was building the F1 road car at the time. In 2000, I moved to work for McLaren Marketing, which involved preparing the show cars for exhibits and getting together merchandise for hospitality. When we won both Formula 1 titles in ’98, it really inspired me to want to work with the race team. I thought it would be hard to get into, but after three years with Marketing, I was given the opportunity to join the Race Team Transport department.”

How has your role developed?
“I first worked as a van driver for the team, which involved transporting components around the UK and also supporting deliveries to and from European races. I did that for three years before the Transport Manager suggested I try for my HGV licence. The company put me through the training, and once I’d passed I joined the test team for six months.”

What are the main qualities you need?
“You certainly need to be flexible in your time. We’re regulated in terms of the hours we can spend driving, but you should be prepared to put in long days — it’s certainly not nine to five.
It’s also important to have pride in your work. For me, that’s reflected in how meticulously we maintain the transporters. Other truck drivers we meet are amazed at how clean they always are. The driving itself is actually less stressful than a van because we’re speed-restricted so it’s more of a cruise! As in most jobs, you need to be prepared to continue learning and I couldn’t have done this without my transporter partner. He’s very experienced and has taught me a lot in this first season. His advice on things like reversing, routes and logistics has been invaluable.”

Pat Hasler:
Speaking from previous experience in the industry / sport… DON’T ever take and F1 job working for a contractor like Stobbart. F1 transport drivers are a class of their own, they get special pay and privilages and are part of the team, there is a system of grades in the sport where ‘Truckies’ move up gradually through GP1 or Touring cars, really good pay and conditions and the perks of being part on an F1 team.
If Stobbarts are going to contract to an F1 team they are asking for any driver they hire to be treated like an outcast by all other team drivers, it will make them sem like leppers, every contracted driver wil be hated in the sport.
Don’t do it unless you want to have the **** taken out of you by the other crews.

Although it’s true that most fo the truckies and mechnics in F1 have worked thier way up through the formulas, F1 truckies that work as part of the team doing tyres, fuel etc no longer drive the trucks. This has been done by agency drivers and in the case of a couple of teams, by people like Stobarts.
I met a couple of the Stobart guys when I was on the F1 cicuit with GP2 they were pretty sound guys, who most defiently weren’t full of F1 or Stobart bull ■■■■.
If you want all that and to see the race, then get yourself a ticket to the paddock club, it’s not what makes the job so good, what makes the job good is a bit of camaradry between the people doing the graft regardless of which team or company they work for. To be honest I can’t really explain it any better than that and understand it’s not for everyone, but after losing my job last year and going back to general haulage I’m pleasedmto be back in motorsport this year.

I would love do this sort of stuff not for stobarts mind but i wouldn’t be too fussed about not seeing the races as such. Now if i can just find a company that will meet my current salary… :wink: :question:

Just applied, but got turned down cos i wouldnt work a 9 - 5…wouldnt entertain the page 3 girls, and refused to stand in for any F1 driver who was off sick, plus they wanted me to sleep in the truck… :laughing: :laughing:

Formula One Administration, truck fleet and mobile studios based at Biggin Hill Kent…

Formula One Administration Ltd
Sapphire House
Biggin Hill Airport TN16 3BN
01959 579000

Now the season is so long they may well get a few drop outs and therefore vacancies for next year so get in quick.

When i was there,1995, they had a high turnover of staff. Take on board what has already been posted, you are there to work, not watch a race etc, and work you will!!

IT IS NOT GLAMOROUS!!!

You will be a rigger / hospitality bod / floor scrubber / chefs goffer etc etc first, a driver second. In fact the driving part will not be your main role, that is secondary, you are any of the above but with a class one licence to drag all the stuff around race to race.

My experiences are somewhat tainted and it was quite a few years ago when I was there so, hopefully things may have changed since then.

I used to work on Formula 1, it was my job to put that Biro sideways into David Coulthard’s mouth every time he had to appear on telly. :wink:

I just usually go to events like BTCC as a guest of West Surrey Racing.

No flunky work for me.

Ken.

Harry Monk:
I used to work on Formula 1, it was my job to put that Biro sideways into David Coulthard’s mouth every time he had to appear on telly. :wink:

I was Murray Walkers script writer :stuck_out_tongue:

deffo not glam at all.

me being in motorsport since a young age, going from karting all the way to the top as a mechanic.
and its the best and worst job in the world, the truckies got paid more than the mechanics.

If you do want a job in motorsport, its a good way to get in being a truckie as its not all driving trucks you get involved in everything, our truckie LOVED his job!

Since then hes moved on to F1 at Force India, and is on 50k+ a year, it is the ■■■■■■■■ if your actually part of the team

DrewHughes:
deffo not glam at all.

me being in motorsport since a young age, going from karting all the way to the top as a mechanic.
and its the best and worst job in the world, the truckies got paid more than the mechanics.

If you do want a job in motorsport, its a good way to get in being a truckie as its not all driving trucks you get involved in everything, our truckie LOVED his job!

Since then hes moved on to F1 at Force India, and is on 50k+ a year, it is the ■■■■■■■■ if your actually part of the team

My brother in law works for force India, see him on telly most races, have you noticed how chubby most of them are even though they have to do workout sessions with a trainer, he reckons they get well looked after food wise.

Dont listen to the knockers go for it and give it a try. It will be a good experiance’s and look terrific on your cv.

jessicas dad:
Dont listen to the knockers go for it and give it a try. It will be a good experiance’s and look terrific on your cv.

I didn’t want to come across as knocking it, just pointing out that it wont be all glamour and gridgirls, you will work very hard for small reward and could you honestly cope with going back onto RDC work in the winter?

Imagine. “Listening to a Stobart driver in Tesco at Goole, he said he couldn’t drink coffee from the machine as he was only used to chilled Champagne”

My foray into BSB started at 5.30pm when we got the bikes out of the workshop. I then drove the FH12 down to Thruxton arriving around 10.30, myself and two mechanics then sleep in the trailer as our entryslot wasn’t until 08.10. They do this to make sure the top teams are closest to the pit garages and nearest the podium. Today was free practice and my job was to position the trailer, inch perfect, clean the truck including all the wheels and set up the awning.

The two mechanics sorted out the tools and spares kits, we then laid the workshop floor and put up the advertising and wired up the TV monitors. It was around 1400 before we got the first bike on the track while we sorted the garages. We had an hour or so practicing and a few tyre changes later it was over. We then had to meet and greet the sponsors people and make them welcome.

The next day was qualifying so apart from blue arsed flies chasing about with tyres, wheels, fuel and spare parts, we also had to rebuild a bike that was crashed in timed practice, the rider I was looking after was complaining of a lack of power and eventually the bike engine let go. Saturday night was the night all the tams go to the pub, the riders don’t drink but the managers and mechanics do, unless they were rebuilding engines and frames using midnight oil, and beyond. I think it was about 3.30 when we finally finished, it soon got light and by 7am we were up for breakfast and to get the bikes in race order. The riders were well rested and came to see why we looked like zombies while sat in their chairs contemplating the warm up.

Race time came and all the bikes were polished to perfection, the tyre warmers were on the racks and bikes, and the mechanics & I were all in team clothing, I was on the grid with the warmer generator ready for the start, the grid girls were perfumed, we had two great results which made the night shift worth doing. I had done the pit boards and recording lap times but as the riders went off to party and drink champagne, we had to strip the bikes, pack the lorry in an organised way, clear the awning, pack up the floor and secure everything. It was around 10.30 at night when I climbed in the cab of the Volvo and then had to drive 5/6 hours back to the race headquarters and empty the lorry.

It is a great life, if you don’t want sleep or recognition, but if you do ■■■■ up you will be recognised wherever you go! three days of hard work, little sleep and the most relaxing part of it was driving a lorry :laughing:

It’s weird this obviously you will get people applying thinking they will be having a beer with Lewis and whoever else is a f1 driver but will be there passing the vol u vonts round or the guys who just want to be doing something out of the ordinary,
Same as transam est and the rest I always thought it must be great getting breaks in city’s where you just don’t stop as an ordinary distance man but some of the stories I’ve read about drivers on this scene on here it seems they have bigger egos than the guys who’s gear they are moving but at the end of the day you are a lorry driver get a grip.

I would just like to say 99.9% of stuff on here is balls if you want to know anything apply online and upload a cv and go to the interview.

Pat Hasler:
[/quote]
[/[/i]b]
I like that…so its good training for when they go back on tesco…like the pirelli men do

Harry Monk:

That just cracked me up