Forign tractor units

As said on another post i am doing my c+e so been looking around on my breaks at all the different lorries. However i have never seen a forign artic that had a tractor unit with more than 2 axels. Is it just a function of what they are carrying ie weight or is it something else.

40t (in theory) so only need 5 axles

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Depends on what country they hail from. 40t weight limit on 5 axles is the norm in most European countries.
Plenty of 3 axle units in Scandinavian countries, where the weight limits are higher

40 t on international trips but 44 t on National work with 5 axles. i load in Belgium and Spain for France but only at 40 t which leaves too much ullage in a tanker. Time we had 44t on international too. Firms doing plant and machinery use 3 axle units here.

OwenMoney:
40 t on international trips but 44 t on National work with 5 axles. i load in Belgium and Spain for France but only at 40 t which leaves too much ullage in a tanker. Time we had 44t on international too. Firms doing plant and machinery use 3 axle units here.

44t on 5 axles is a recipe for smashing roads with high drive axle weights when 18t on two axles is bad enough in that regard.
Also 6 braked axles provides better braking capacity at 44t than 5 at 40t let alone 44t.

Carryfast:

OwenMoney:

44t on 5 axles is a recipe for smashing roads with high drive axle weights when 18t on two axles is bad enough in that regard.
Also 6 braked axles provides better braking capacity at 44t than 5 at 40t let alone 44t.

Braking capacity doesn’t matter so much when a retarder is standard . Having 6 axles is more deadweight and less payload. The roads in the UK are much worse than in Europe, so how does that equate to your smashing roads ?

It doesn’t. He read that once as a theory and adopted it as his go to argument.

OwenMoney:

Carryfast:

OwenMoney:

Braking capacity doesn’t matter so much when a retarder is standard . Having 6 axles is more deadweight and less payload. The roads in the UK are much worse than in Europe, so how does that equate to your smashing roads ?

Since retiring I only drive cars now from UK to Spain and have commented before on the difference in road surface standards between the UK and France,Spain.Even on non tolled roads.Early this year the dual carriageway from Torrevieja to the AP7 was resurfaced.It’s so smooth you could play snooker on it.In the UK we need a seat belt to prevent us being shook out of our seats.

OwenMoney:

Carryfast:

OwenMoney:

The roads in Europe are better maintained than UK.The link between axle weights and road damage is accepted and known its actually why the UK chose 44t on 6 axles.
While engine/retarder braking is only auxiliary braking ultimately in an emergency the more braked axles you’ve got the better.Possibly with the exception of less braking on the steer axle of an artic.

Carryfast:

OwenMoney:

Carryfast:

OwenMoney:

The roads in Europe are better maintained than UK.The link between axle weights and road damage is accepted and known its actually why the UK chose 44t on 6 axles.
While engine/retarder braking is only auxiliary braking ultimately in an emergency the more braked axles you’ve got the better.Possibly with the exception of less braking on the steer axle of an artic.

Well. Thats cleared that up then :confused:

Carryfast:

OwenMoney:

What a load of baaallocks, you stupid man Carryfast
you’ve not seen the state of roads in the UK then ? :unamused: :unamused:

Here in France we run at 44t on 5 axles and our nationals (A roads)
are in a better condition than the UK motorways !!

pierrot 14:

Carryfast:

OwenMoney:

What a load of baaallocks, you stupid man Carryfast
you’ve not seen the state of roads in the UK then ? :unamused: :unamused:

Here in France we run at 44t on 5 axles and our nationals (A roads)
are in a better condition than the UK motorways !!

I’m old enough to remember when most French roads were cratered bombsites.
Usually accompanied by the sign chausee deformee which only the French language could use to describe knackered smashed road.
Whereas our roads were like those of Europe’s today.
That was before we got entangled in the EU wealth redistribution scam.
Anyone can make roads capable of handling silly French axle weights by throwing enough other people’s cash or extortionate road tolls at the job.
Obviously a luxury which we don’t have.

Good to see Carryfast is back in full on bulls*** mode after his covid scare. You heard it here first- our crap roads are the fault of the EU. Glad that’s sorted then.

switchlogic:
Good to see Carryfast is back in full on bulls*** mode after his covid scare. You heard it here first- our crap roads are the fault of the EU. Glad that’s sorted then.

The later generation have spoken.
Trying to dress up the EU as being a net benefit to us rather than a wealth redistribution scam partly to save putting enough axles on Euro trucks.
When they aren’t being put in control of defence policy like Ben Wallace.That ended well for Ukraine if not the Northern Hemisphere.
You need to get some respect for your wiser elders.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

The later generation have spoken.
Trying to dress up the EU as being a net benefit to us rather than a wealth redistribution scam partly to save putting enough axles on Euro trucks.
When they aren’t being put in control of defence policy like Ben Wallace.That ended well for Ukraine if not the Northern Hemisphere.
You need to get some respect for your wiser elders.

From wealth redistribution to axles on tractor units to defence policy, prime crackpot Carryfast.

I will respect wiser elders when I’m talking to them.

switchlogic:
I will respect wiser elders when I’m talking to them.

Obviously wise enough to realise that most of Europe imposes road tolls on trucks.In large part based on the pretext of road damage and 40t on 5 axles is a recipe for road damage.Unless you like throwing away cash on making them strong enough and repairing them.

How on earth does your brain contain so much pointless nonsense

switchlogic:

Half a lifetime of dodging work and real life experience would addle any brain, from lack of normal function.

You ever been to Belgium [emoji54][emoji54][emoji54]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

switchlogic:

Bearing in mind the topic,
the discussion as to why 44t on 6 axles is better than 40t on 5 axles, unless you want to chuck money away on strengthening and repairing roads, isn’t ‘pointless’ at all.
You obviously don’t understand the relationship between axle weights and road damage.The OP asked the question.