Forgot something?

Hi Guys

Put fuel in the old gal as you do and did all checks and paperwork, headed off from around J26 m1. Got to J23 and had a horrible feeling. I forgot to put the fuel cap back on so pulled in to check and sure enough no cap :blush:

Called the boss and he told me to go to renault in leicester to get a new one. Now for the good bit… £42 :open_mouth: for a filler cap :imp: i had to pay for it which is fair enough.

Yesterday an agency lad did the same ha ha ha

Moral of the story… not really sure :slight_smile: how many of you have done it. Come on fess up

I’ll be honest, I’ve done it. I filled up after arriving at the yard in the evening, got chatting to somebody in the yard, finished and parked up. I then made it 50mi the following morning to Cobham Services before I realized. Thankfully on a chain but screwed it back on attracting as little attention as possible. :blush:

theres those who have done it,theres those who will admit to having done it,and then theres those…that tell porkies. same logic as admitting if youve strangled your ferrett :confused: …?

DWYNE:
Hi Guys

Put fuel in the old gal as you do and did all checks and paperwork, headed off from around J26 m1. Got to J23 and had a horrible feeling. I forgot to put the fuel cap back on so pulled in to check and sure enough no cap :blush:

Called the boss and he told me to go to renault in leicester to get a new one. Now for the good bit… £42 :open_mouth: for a filler cap :imp: i had to pay for it which is fair enough.

Moral of the story… not really sure :slight_smile: how many of you have done it. Come on fess up

No its not!

Did it for the first time a couple of months ago. Got a hundred or so miles from base when I realised so too late! Borrowed one from the on site fitter at the hub . On the way back to the yard I kept my eyes peeled and lo and behold there it was in the gutter UNHARMED! Result! Won’t do it again (I hope!)

i did it about a year ago, but was on way back to yard and only 3km away, straight roads so didnt spill much.
On another note, i did leave my passport at home one Sunday night when going out at Eurotunnel, i sorted it out with the workers, gave reg, make of wifes car etc, told wife where to go when she got there, when she pulled up beside me at about 01.00am Monday morning, she chucked passport out of window without saying a word, turned round and went home. (we were divorced a yr or 2 later!)

If my wife had done that to me I wouldn’t have waited a year or two, oooh, the cheek of the woman :wink:

Montmerency:

DWYNE:
Hi Guys

No its not!

I agree. Why tf is it only in this industry that some employers think it is acceptable to charge for loss, damage etc (ANSWER. same reason dogs lick their ■■■■■■■■… because they can ), but worse still why do a lot of drivers bend over and accept it willingly :open_mouth: :unamused: . How many factory workers, office workers, butchers bakers or bloody candlestick makers pay for accidental loss or minor damage at work.
When I ran my own motors in the 80s it went as far as a bollocking and that was it, insurance is there for damage and your right foot is there for a kick up the arse. If the profit in the job won’t even cover a new filler cap, then it is in a worse state than even I thought it was, Jeez H :unamused:

The 1st time I swore a lot… The second time has been prevented by the bit of chain that now attaches the cap to the tank mouth!

I did it, got a new one from the firm, then did it again about a week or 2 later!! I called in at a fleet factors and picked one up for 12 bucks!!

I dropped the keys in the tank.By luck a French drivers pulls in and he gave me some wire to hook it out.Battery inside the fob was fine.No fuel got inside it.

I did it too, I knew where I’d left the cap but it was a 60 mile round trip back to the filling station, so my boss told me to get a new one from our local Daf service depot, which was only 4 miles away but when I was told it would cost £50 (boss was paying for it) I continued on to the garage I last filled up at and found the cap on the ground 50 yards from the pump I used… Phew!

done it 3 times in the last month with the ad blue cap. keeps the night man on his toes and it makes sure he does his walk round checks (my excuse and i’m sticking with it :unamused: )

I have snapped the key off when running on near empty. So I had to smash it off to fuel up and get a new one from Mercedes in Leeds. :blush:

I forgot the cap, turned in the yard and it all came pouring out, started raining so the yard became an oil slick, boss had to call up a road sweeper to come and clean the yard. Many many years ago that was, suppose i would of been disciplined these days and a proper clean up crew called.

Scouse67:
I forgot the cap, turned in the yard and it all came pouring out, started raining so the yard became an oil slick, boss had to call up a road sweeper to come and clean the yard. Many many years ago that was, suppose i would of been disciplined these days and a proper clean up crew called.

A delivery driver (not one of our drivers) did that in our yard a few months ago, he got off before we realised and we had to jet wash the yard. About a hour later the M62 Warrington was closed due to a fuel spill :laughing:

I left the cap at Keele services once, realised at my next stop and botched it with a sandwich bag and a laccy band :sunglasses: That did the job till I got back to the yard the next evening, don’t think I lost that much :blush:

Nope, never done it. Always double check the cap is secure TBH. Probably because I ride a motorcycle and am paranoid about spilling diesel - it’s a killer for bikers as I’m sure you all know…

I guess I’ve just cursed myself now and will forget the cap next time I’m driving… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I do the same as I do with my car, keep the key in the filler cap until I have finished, no key no wagon starting :laughing:

Truckulent:
Nope, never done it. Always double check the cap is secure TBH. Probably because I ride a motorcycle and am paranoid about spilling diesel - it’s a killer for bikers as I’m sure you all know…

I guess I’ve just cursed myself now and will forget the cap next time I’m driving… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

+1 I’ve never forgot it and never will, some bikers say they can smell diesel and avoid it, in my experience if you smell it your in it !
Never dropped a bike in diesel but have been very close.