Forgot something?

Drift:
I do the same as I do with my car, keep the key in the filler cap until I have finished, no key no wagon starting :laughing:

+1

Trev_H:

Truckulent:
Nope, never done it. Always double check the cap is secure TBH. Probably because I ride a motorcycle and am paranoid about spilling diesel - itā€™s a killer for bikers as Iā€™m sure you all knowā€¦

I guess Iā€™ve just cursed myself now and will forget the cap next time Iā€™m drivingā€¦ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

+1 Iā€™ve never forgot it and never will, some bikers say they can smell diesel and avoid it, in my experience if you smell it your in it !
Never dropped a bike in diesel but have been very close.

Donā€™t, it hurts - alot. Done it twice :frowning: :frowning:

ive never done it but recently i forgot to give a suzie lock back to a customer :blush: but luckily i remembered just along the road :smiley:

I must admit that Iā€™ve done it before and given my head a good shake afterwards. I did it in Belgium once while heading for Calais and only realised once I was parked in the port in line for the boatā€¦the mess down the side of the trailer was less than pretty. Iā€™ve also done it over here as well.

Why isnā€™t it standard practice to have the cap fixed on a length of chain to the tank? I know our Iveco caps come with chain on them - and my DAF soon got the sameā€¦

All our Mercs,the Axors and the Actros have chains on the fuel caps but itā€™s surprising how many are broken in a short time.
How do people do this?ā€™

Never done it, but not been driving long, however last week I was at Lidl Swindon, I had, had the same truck for the past 2 days and not used the add blue cap, it was there on every walk round check after every night out, came out after tipping and noticed it had gone, funnily enough there was a Mercedes Actros owned by De B*hers parked next to me when I went in (Iā€™m in an Actros). Heā€™d gone by the time I had come out and so had my add blue cap. Picked a new one up from the dealers apparently itā€™s a GV9 if you get caught, think it cost about Ā£30/40 but was put on account.

Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll lose one, one day.

DWYNE:
Hi Guys

Put fuel in the old gal as you do and did all checks and paperwork, headed off from around J26 m1. Got to J23 and had a horrible feeling. I forgot to put the fuel cap back on so pulled in to check and sure enough no cap :blush:

Called the boss and he told me to go to renault in leicester to get a new one. Now for the good bitā€¦ Ā£42 :open_mouth: for a filler cap :imp: i had to pay for it which is fair enough.

Yesterday an agency lad did the same ha ha ha

Moral of the storyā€¦ not really sure :slight_smile: how many of you have done it. Come on fess up

I dont fuel up.
Not trained :exclamation:
We have a Yard Marshall doing that :bulb:

Iā€™ve done it a couple of times. Top Tip. Ask the staff at the counter at filling stations/truck stops, they usually keep hold of ā€˜abandonedā€™ filler caps. You might be lucky and get one that fits your tank. :slight_smile:

Drift:
I do the same as I do with my car, keep the key in the filler cap until I have finished, no key no wagon starting :laughing:

+1 makes sense

dafpower:

Drift:

+1 makes sense

Yup.

1994 I think.
Iā€™d only passed my test in nov93, and was green as grass. Boss had me on a regular run out of tnt wapping in 1 of their m.a.n artics. On the way back to wapping I used to have to go in to childerditch depot and fuel the wagon up.
so you know what I forgot donā€™t you :open_mouth:

anyway, just going over canning town flyover, dropping down the otherside and noticed a law car on the pavement, giving out a rollicking to a couple of lads in a rusty old datsun. Just as I was level with them some numpty regally carves me up forcing me to anchor on the brakes. Anyway beep of the horn, and I carry on, but just as Iā€™m coming out of the 1st short lime house tunnel the traffic police are next to me, blue lights, sirens and 1 of the coppers virtually hanging out of the passenger window, making his intention clear that he wants a chat :confused:
So we pull over, I climb down and goto the nearside where he is already waiting for me on the pavement. ā€œSmell my trousers, go on, smell my bloody trousers you idiot.ā€ He says.

so, it turns out because Iā€™d stupidly left the cap behind at Brentwood, (yes I know how dangerous that was) and had to do that emergency brake, it turns out that a few gallons of diesel exited the tank quite quickly, covering p.c.plods nice shiny, (although now somewhat smelly) police trousers :blush:
suffice to say I got a royal bollocking from copper 1, whilst copper 2 stood back somewhat, and Iā€™m sure he was smirking a little. I also, rightly so, got reported and given a gv9, as it was back then.

lesson learned, not done it since :grimacing:

Never done it in a truck yet. But I once topped the oil in my car up and shut the bonnet forgetting to put the oil cap back on. Drove 300 miles before I noticed a funny smell and realised what Iā€™d doneā€¦ :blush: :blush: :blush: