Foreign Vans

What’s with all these foreign vans with sleeper cab pods and tilt bodies that are about? How can it be possible to run such small amounts across Europe? I guess they carry something light like boxes of flip flops?

Well it is possible because there are ferries and a tunnel… :slight_smile: I spoke to one Dutch Sprinter driver at Toddington last year and he had brought wine over and was taking beer back.

Pete.

Various stuff thats been missed off a load that has to be there.
If a machine breaks down in a factory it could cause 100s of people to be stood round with nothing to do

Urgent goods for automotive/oil/wind industry, no drivers hours rules so always there at 07h, well in most cases. Big bucks for those involved.

kr79:
Various stuff thats been missed off a load that has to be there.
If a machine breaks down in a factory it could cause 100s of people to be stood round with nothing to do

This is correct ,I went to kavala in Greece to fetch a tonne of carbon silver mixture we got the job as the goods were high value and also a waste licence was needed ,the tonne was missed of a 25 tonne load and the lot had to be processed in one go due to the cost of cleaning the plant out.

Yep Rolls Royce use them all the time

They can’t carry much weight, they look heavy with the pod and tilt.
A big wedge is involved,is it what we call a big wedge or what they call a big wedge?

There was one came from Switzerland regularly to the Ayrshire opencasts with urgent spares for machines he was on first name terms as he was here that often.
Eddie.

short walk:
Big bucks for those involved.

really? :laughing: you’d think otherwise after spending a night or two at the BP on the A7 passing barcelona. always 5-10 of them waiting for a load, never have I seen one of them even buy a coffee from the service station, nevermind a burger from burger king :unamused:

I got my euro experience delivering" flyers " all over Europe in 3.5t vans & 7.5tonners ,thoroughly enjoyed it even though it was manic to get the stuff delivered on time . sadly the gaffer has realised he can make more money subbing it out as a backload to a couple of polish lads who are over here regular .

milodon:

short walk:
Big bucks for those involved.

really? :laughing: you’d think otherwise after spending a night or two at the BP on the A7 passing barcelona. always 5-10 of them waiting for a load, never have I seen one of them even buy a coffee from the service station, nevermind a burger from burger king :unamused:

Same as most euro work our friends from the east have slashed the rates ant the wages dont cover western europe services prices

Used to do roof liners( only 4 of them) for ford transits in Genk. Used be called line stoppers. Rotten job ,they’d come down from brum and transship on the side of the road in Essex and have to go right thru the night to Genk .

my first ever driving job at 18 was driving these vans around the UK and Europe.

used to load wine and beer to wherever in Europe then eventually end up in Germany where i’d load solar panels and corresponding rails and fixings. to UK.

great job, usually spent 2 weeks away.

I use to do this type of work, car factories pay a fortune, £1,000 -£2,000 for a van is nothing compared to £20,000 an hour if the track stops, Peugeot use to have planes flying in from all over France to Coventry Airport with track stoppers.

I thought I would have a change from the big stuff and went on prototype car transport with a sprinter . Nightmare ,delivered a ford in Rome at four o’clock on a Friday afternoon and was told my reload was Frankfurt Saturday morning! :unamused:

Nearly 800 miles.

Also urgent for UK - needless to say I missed the load .

Plenty of emergency small loads going round Europe, the company I work for also has an aviation side, as well as flying executives round they also do emergency bits where the cost of the production line stopping would far outway the cost of chartering a plane, sometimes it might only be one box you could carry by hand.

Then there are high value or fragile stuff that you just don’t wont to put on groupage.

year before last i had to take 5 boxes in a van to stanstead airport then fly to gothenburg and deliver in a taxi. then fly back in the evening to stanstead, stay in a hotel then at 4am another courier would come down and hand over another 4-5 boxes and i done the same thing again.

these were all linestopper car parts. i paid £1000 in excess and outsized baggage every trip and 84 krone taxi fare each way to the factory in sweden.
the company concerned were happy as a pig in ■■■ to pay this as they were on a £100,000 penalty clause for failed delivery.

i think i went 9 times to sweden in three weeks !!!

used to do it in a citroen relay and a movano all over europe mainly for kodak taking big printing plates to germany but did a lot for a company called ■■■■■■■■ in huddersfieds they do turbos for the trucks went up to the bi scania plant at sweden alot and down to italy alot because ceva logistics where so far behind was using us to catch uo with there loads

bigtanker198:
did a lot for a company called ■■■■■■■■ in huddersfieds they do turbos for the trucks

You mean ■■■■■■■ turbo technologies?

Used to be Holset and they’re on St Andrews road.

Ken.

Indeed I do mate yeh