Foreign Trucks.

I may have been mis-informed here, but I was told by a foreign driver that once they have delivered their load from abroad into this country they can only re-load to take back abroad to the continent and not to an on-load address within the UK. For example; they CANNOT tip the load at Oxford from continent then re-load Leicester for tip at Glasgow, re-load Newcastle back to continent, but they can tip at Oxford re-load Leicester for Europe. Anyone know if this is correct?

no its not, they can do domestic work but dont because they would have to buy fuel in the uk and that would eat there profits!!! so they like to get straight back… bless em

This is called “cabotage” and while it used to be illegal, it isn’t any more.

When cabotage was in force a mate of mine was delivering in France & the company he delivered to gave him some scrap pallets. He did this run often & he knew a French yard that bought pallets. As he dropped the pallets off the French cops arrived & did him for cabotage. They impounded the truck for two days until the trucks owner paid a massive fine…The pallets were worth about a fiver. The Good Old Days…!

darren23:
no its not, they can do domestic work but dont because they would have to buy fuel in the uk and that would eat there profits!!! so they like to get straight back… bless em

Some do, with large fuel tanks they could run around the UK for a week or two without the need to fill up. I can do about 8-10 days UK work on full tanks.

foreign trucks cant do cabotage
our brothers in European Union can

I have just had 3 weeks away in a foreign truck as a foreign driver.

I loaded from Newark on Easter Monday and got home today 5th May. I have tipped and loaded Germany 3 times, one trip to Switzerland and tipped 3 times in France.

Was that Cabotage?

The orange juice you drink on sunday for your breakfast was probably delivered by wheelnut :stuck_out_tongue:

penfold:
I may have been mis-informed here, but I was told by a foreign driver that once they have delivered their load from abroad into this country they can only re-load to take back abroad to the continent and not to an on-load address within the UK. For example; they CANNOT tip the load at Oxford from continent then re-load Leicester for tip at Glasgow, re-load Newcastle back to continent, but they can tip at Oxford re-load Leicester for Europe. Anyone know if this is correct?

they can,but have to leave at least once a month the country

I used to be based in Swiss. The company had a tripartied carnet. Which meant you loaded Swiss but had to re-load to a third country before you could load for home. If you didn`t use it you lost it & drivers had to take turns in using it. Swiss > Lisbon . Lisbon > Copenhagen. Cope> Basel. We all hated it. Another was Swiss >Madrid> Milan>Going thru France > Berlin ( That was when the Wall was up) > Hamburg > Basel…

swiss isn’t EU :confused:

Yeah and the thing is that UK is and the UK roads are free to anyone who comes in from where ever.