Foreign Trucks to be levied a grand a year

Yep, a whole grand a year to run on our roads all day every week, week in week out, to level the playing field…you couldn’t make this stuff up could you.

uk.news.yahoo.com/foreign-lorrie … 56468.html

The new charges will also be levied on British lorries - but they will receive a corresponding cut in vehicle excise duty so they will pay no more than at present.

Missed that bit?

deancross4c:

The new charges will also be levied on British lorries - but they will receive a corresponding cut in vehicle excise duty so they will pay no more than at present.

Missed that bit?

Still the same as what he said really. Grand a year is ■■■■ all, they’ll make that back in a few days on good rates.

Saaamon:

deancross4c:

Missed that bit?

Still the same as what he said really. Grand a year is [zb] all, they’ll make that back in a few days on good rates.

im sure the lovely government we voted in will cut road tax for what british companies are left to create this level playing field

Sky news reported that it would be £10 per day .Reported Sunday 16/09/2012 and would come into effect in 2015

Watching it now, £10 per day upto £1000 per year, Finally a massive push to help the British Hauleir :confused: :confused:

Madguy :imp:

I just read that story on the BBC and I thought I’d come on here to see what people were saying. I actually really stupidly thought ‘it may stop the old trucknet women moaning about foriegn using our roads for free’. How wrong was I. You’ll just moan its too little instead. Just goes to prove my point that people on this poxy forum are never ■■■■■■■ happy with anything. £10 a day is a fair amount. For €8 you can drive in Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland, Denmark and Sweden.

Have a nice day blaming anything from abroad for all your ills like old women over the garden fence.

switchlogic:
I just read that story on the BBC and I thought I’d come on here to see what people were saying. I actually really stupidly thought ‘it may stop the old trucknet women moaning about foriegn using our roads for free’. How wrong was I. You’ll just moan its too little instead. Just goes to prove my point that people on this poxy forum are never [zb] happy with anything. £10 a day is a fair amount. For €8 you can drive in Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland, Denmark and Sweden.

Have a nice day blaming anything from abroad for all your ills like old women over the garden fence.

no point adding my two penneth. you’ve covered my same thoughts.

I’m not actually moaning about foriegn drivers and never will, I drive and have for some years in Europe so can’t really throw mud.

And I will have to be honest, IN MY OPINION and only my opinion I have met in ratio more pleasent foreign drivers that i have British drivers.

We have Polish drivers and they are great guys and very hard working, never moan or complain and always get to were the load needs to be mostly on time.

The people that moan and complain the most in our company seem to be the older British drivers who havn’t got a clue what the job market is like out there now.

I do think the government need to do something to help British Hauliers so my comment is aimed more there than at European drivers.

Madguy :imp:

You’re the foreign ■■■■■■■ when you go ‘over the water’ :grimacing:

madguy:
I’m not actually moaning about foriegn drivers and never will, I drive and have for some years in Europe so can’t really throw mud.

And I will have to be honest, IN MY OPINION and only my opinion I have met in ratio more pleasent foreign drivers that i have British drivers.

We have Polish drivers and they are great guys and very hard working, never moan or complain and always get to were the load needs to be mostly on time.

Me neither, “Blame the game, not the players” is the way I see it.

£10 a day will raise a fair bit of revenue, and may help to level the playing field a little. It may not drastically alter things but it’s a start.

Not quite sure how my road tax can be cut by that amount though, as it’s only £700 a year?

switchlogic:
I just read that story on the BBC and I thought I’d come on here to see what people were saying. I actually really stupidly thought ‘it may stop the old trucknet women moaning about foriegn using our roads for free’. How wrong was I. You’ll just moan its too little instead. Just goes to prove my point that people on this poxy forum are never [zb] happy with anything. £10 a day is a fair amount. For €8 you can drive in Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland, Denmark and Sweden.

My thoughts exactly. We only pay £1200/year (for a 44t artic) to use the roads every day (only £700 if you have something with an RPC) which works out at under a fiver a day if the wagon works 50 5day weeks each year. So charging foreigners a tenner a day up to £1000 sounds like a decent amount to me. As others have said, it is comparable to what we pay in Europe.

But as Luke correctly says, some people won’t be happy until we’re charging so much it forces them out of business (and even then some will think it isn’t enough).

Paul

The vignette was introduced in about 95/96
the Krauts are on their second money raising system
could we have a Maut system like them given that ours is
years away. We have enough cameras on the motorways

Too little too late

switchlogic:

Like these two? :smiley:

Yep they are pretty much what I had in mind! I just think everyone needs to lighten up and realise for you Brits that dont drive foreign lorries this is a good step forward. Just out of interest how much exactly do you think they should charge? £25 a day? £50? £100? And would you be happy if British trucks abroad were made to pay the same? Just stop being so insular and inward looking and look at the big picture for a change. Its a reasonable and fair amount similar to and in many cases more than your own trucks currently pay that will mean foreigners will now contribute to the countries infrastructure. Also think about why these trucks are here. Who’s employing them exactly? Oh yes that’s right, the British in many cases. Oh and finally your transport sector isn’t exactly struggling. You have some of the largest transport companies in Europe. You dont do much international work anymore because long ago British companies realised they could mke more money with less hassle at home. Its the same with us, I reckon a truck doing two or three Ireland - Uk trips a week makes a lot more money than one out in Europe for a week with one load out and one load back, and we have hardly any competition from foreigners on outbound loads. Its not nice for drivers like me to admit but often its the crap reptitive work that pays the wages, not running over the Alps to Italy.

I think for many of you you’re just peeved that’ll it’ll be one less thing to moan about with the other old women on here and in the RDCs.

It is hundreds of pounds to get through the Frejus and Mount Blanc,cheaper if you buy a return,i used to have to wait an hour for a fax to come through as a payment confirmation,sat there like a lemon,while everyone else is on the way to getting unloaded.

repton:

switchlogic:

My thoughts exactly. We only pay £1200/year (for a 44t artic) to use the roads every day (only £700 if you have something with an RPC) which works out at under a fiver a day if the wagon works 50 5day weeks each year. So charging foreigners a tenner a day up to £1000 sounds like a decent amount to me. As others have said, it is comparable to what we pay in Europe.

But as Luke correctly says, some people won’t be happy until we’re charging so much it forces them out of business (and even then some will think it isn’t enough).

Paul

Looking at the VED rates it will end up costing British hauliers more than now.
Of course to the little englander mentality it sounds great to charge johnny foreigner loads to come here, but what they can’t seem to understand the is consequences of a truck charging arms race across Europe.
Fewer trucks of any nationality crossing Europe, more costly exports for British companies and more costly imports for UK consumers and probably more use of rail freight as it becomes more cost effective as the cost of haulage goes up, therefore more investment in rail infrastructure leading to more use of rail freight and less job for truck drivers.

What might help would be some sort of essential users duty rebate, wouldn’t even have to be the full amount, other European trucks would also be able to claim, but UK operators already benefit from the same thing in France, but if they buy fuel here at least the tax man gets x% something instead of 100% of nothing.

It would be fine charging £10 a day of they were not running here all week on their 1000 litre tanks of cheaper Derv.

More like 1500 litre tanks,and fill up at Luxembourg.

As I thought, people just want to moan about something. The government does something so what do you do? Moan, they dont do anything what do you do? Moan. You gotta start wondering why they bother doing anything. ■■■■■■■■ and moaning on a forum never changed anything. If you feel that strongly take positive action. But I suspect that would be far too much effort for the moaners though.