Foreign hgvs

Slightly different circumstances perhaps but a few weeks back a van caught fire in the tunnel just after the A10, and with another accident on the A1, traffic was backed up all the way to the M1. I counted no less than 12 trucks parked up on the hard shoulder between 24 and 25 during my slow trudge round. The usual suspects were there of course, a couple of Turks, an Irish etc. What I found interesting was that 5 of them were British registered.

I’m relatively sure the thing to do in that situation is to go over time if you have to, then write a manual entry on the printout and if questioned explain you were caught up in that cluster ■■■■ of fun. If anything else had needed to get through, i.e an ambulance, the minutes lost having to weave through stop-start traffic and an artic every 100 yards on the hard shoulder could make all the difference. You sort of expect it from the foreign guys, as the video above shows it’s quite a common thing across the water but I was suprised at the British ones.

Maybe the risk of taking a cheeky 45 on the hard shoulder so you can continue unhindered after the traffic gets moving properly seemed the better option?

“Russia - No problem - boohoo!”

If one considers Russia to be “Out in the sticks with some roads running through it”, then I’m surprised he’s not had his head kicked in at least once so far…

It gets my goat to see foreigners get away with paying for so many things in this country the rest of the time - all because the old bill only want to enforce the law on local citizens. :imp:

Lorries parking for a daily rest on the hard shoulder should be impounded, and the driver charged with “undue care and attention” for allowing themselves to run out of hours whilst still driving on the motorway. 20 miles between junctions is no excuse - you should be looking for a park-up at least half an hour before passing the “last junction for miles” eh?
Did that, but the layby was full of nobs and stobs?

• Not my fault. Box one in, because they get on my ■■■■ being there all the time too.

It is quite clear from this thread that the majority of posters have never been out of the UK in a lorry. For those that havent you can rest assured that irregardless of how many printouts you do and irregardless of whatever you write on them, if you have exceeded your driving/duty hours and get controlled in continental europe you will receive a very, very large eye watering fine, usually equivalent to the GDP of a small African nation.

If the british police stopped causing so much mayhem on the roads by closing them all the time and causing endless traffic jams then you would see far less trucks parked on the hard shoulder. You can squeak and wail as much as you want that parking on the hard shoulder is illegal etc… but rest assured I and many others like me will stop there if we are forced to.

The police close roads after accidents unlike many other countries, because it’s considered bad form to show blood and guts to the populace.

Just look at the lack of Youtube vids that show nasty accidents (ie before clearup) in the UK and US in particular.
The attitude seems to be “It’s ok to show a decapitated Brazillian, or cut in half Indian, but show a Brit or Yank with more than cuts and bruises? - That’s an insult to western dignity!”

While we’re on the subject of foreign HGV’s, I was in france last week, why do a lot of foreign lorries have different number plates on unit & trailer? Do they not get fined for this?

Fileep:
While we’re on the subject of foreign HGV’s, I was in france last week, why do a lot of foreign lorries have different number plates on unit & trailer? Do they not get fined for this?

The reason is quite simple. As in Spain, many countries trailers are recognised as a seperate vehicle, they have their own log book, mot certificate and registration number etc…

Fileep:

They have different plates because the truck and the trailer have each their own registration, stops trailer from being nicked so easy.
they can charge tax on trailers, and stop these nice guys in Britain to nick your numberplate while you make your rest and run every red light in the country.
System is a little more sophisticated and stops you forgetting your plate, or carry that plate everywhere with you.
Also on the continent the registred holder is responsible for speeding en red lights fines, and he can in turn if he wants, charge the driver.

caledoniandream:

Fileep:

They have different plates because the truck and the trailer have each their own registration, stops trailer from being nicked so easy.
they can charge tax on trailers, and stop these nice guys in Britain to nick your numberplate while you make your rest and run every red light in the country.
System is a little more sophisticated and stops you forgetting your plate, or carry that plate everywhere with you.
Also on the continent the registred holder is responsible for speeding en red lights fines, and he can in turn if he wants, charge the driver.

I got stopped In the UK once for having a different number plate on the trailer (Belgian reg tractor & trailer).

I explained to the Bobby that In Belgium a Trailer Is registered as a seperate vehicle with It’s own Number plate (all Belgian trailers start with a ‘U’ , ‘Q’ or ‘1-Q’ ). I even had the full documentation & reg paperwork for the trailer,but he just didn’t understand It…

He eventually called somebody & they explained It to him again.

Turned out he’d never heard ( or noticed) that all Foreign trucks (except Irish) have a different number plate on the trailer…

Hombre:

Fileep:

The reason is quite simple. As in Spain, many countries trailers are recognised as a seperate vehicle, they have their own log book, mot certificate and registration number etc…

I learned this recently, it was on here about someone getting the run around at an RDC by a guy on the gate. Threatened to call the police type of thing as the trailer and unit had different plates.

The Pariah:
Slightly different circumstances perhaps but a few weeks back a van caught fire in the tunnel just after the A10, and with another accident on the A1, traffic was backed up all the way to the M1. I counted no less than 12 trucks parked up on the hard shoulder between 24 and 25 during my slow trudge round. The usual suspects were there of course, a couple of Turks, an Irish etc. What I found interesting was that 5 of them were British registered.

I’m relatively sure the thing to do in that situation is to go over time if you have to, then write a manual entry on the printout and if questioned explain you were caught up in that cluster [zb] of fun. If anything else had needed to get through, i.e an ambulance, the minutes lost having to weave through stop-start traffic and an artic every 100 yards on the hard shoulder could make all the difference. You sort of expect it from the foreign guys, as the video above shows it’s quite a common thing across the water but I was suprised at the British ones.

Maybe the risk of taking a cheeky 45 on the hard shoulder so you can continue unhindered after the traffic gets moving properly seemed the better option?

The practice of doing a printout or writing on the back of the card is all well and good in the UK show that to a gendarme or a red cap and they will laugh at you. Alot of the gendarmes do not even recognise VOSA as they are not part of the police have shown gendarmes vosa paperwork and been told it’s worthless

Muckaway:

Legend_Scania:
Driving hours maybe was up hence the stop :unamused:

Remember 4.5 hours is the limit, not the target. I very rarely reched 4.5 before my break…too hungry.
:laughing:

Cos your’e not a foreigner. BUT:they have to drive as much as they can, cos they getting paid by the mileage, not by the hours. This why, they do not like Bank Holidays; if they get to their destination on FRIDAY afternoon, they can be tipped on TUESDAY morning only. That obviously means, they did not earn anything, expect their ridicolous day allowance (About £10, I think). So, they have to run. Also, they can not afford the ridicolous British parking fee (parking is free for trucks in Europe) but in the laybys they are the favourite targets of thieves, and they often get their courtain ripped or their fuel stolen.So, they are trying to get back to the ferry quickly, if possible, driving up to the limit. aND

mazzer:

The Pariah:

I’m relatively sure the thing to do in that situation is to go over time if you have to, then write a manual entry on the printout and if questioned explain you were caught up in that cluster [zb] of fun. If anything else had needed to get through, i.e an ambulance, the minutes lost having to weave through stop-start traffic and an artic every 100 yards on the hard shoulder could make all the difference. You sort of expect it from the foreign guys, as the video above shows it’s quite a common thing across the water but I was suprised at the British ones.

The practice of doing a printout or writing on the back of the card is all well and good in the UK show that to a gendarme or a red cap and they will laugh at you. Alot of the gendarmes do not even recognise VOSA as they are not part of the police have shown gendarmes vosa paperwork and been told it’s worthless

Neither in France, nor in Germany the authorities will acceot this, it works in the UK only.

In germany if drivers can tfound normal parking place.divers stop at some slip road or .,or.come police and police stamp at the print out special stamp.and drivers cary on drive till next available parking space.and if later stop any cotrol inspection drivers have evidence with stamped printout.

Geoffo:

caledoniandream:

Fileep:

I got stopped In the UK once for having a different number plate on the trailer (Belgian reg tractor & trailer).

I explained to the Bobby that In Belgium a Trailer Is registered as a seperate vehicle with It’s own Number plate (all Belgian trailers start with a ‘U’ , ‘Q’ or ‘1-Q’ ). I even had the full documentation & reg paperwork for the trailer,but he just didn’t understand It…

He eventually called somebody & they explained It to him again.

Turned out he’d never heard ( or noticed) that all Foreign trucks (except Irish) have a different number plate on the trailer…

The brith army trailers are like that as well, and the police have got excited about that in the past.

Dennisthemenace:

mazzer:

The Pariah:

Neither in France, nor in Germany the authorities will acceot this, it works in the UK only.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up both of you. I have yet to drive outside of the UK so will keep that in mind for if the time ever comes.

Dennisthemenace:

Muckaway:

Legend_Scania:
Driving hours maybe was up hence the stop :unamused:

Remember 4.5 hours is the limit, not the target. I very rarely reched 4.5 before my break…too hungry.
:laughing:

Cos your’e not a foreigner. BUT:they have to drive as much as they can, cos they getting paid by the mileage, not by the hours. This why, they do not like Bank Holidays; if they get to their destination on FRIDAY afternoon, they can be tipped on TUESDAY morning only. That obviously means, they did not earn anything, expect their ridicolous day allowance (About £10, I think). So, they have to run. Also, they can not afford the ridicolous British parking fee (parking is free for trucks in Europe) but in the laybys they are the favourite targets of thieves, and they often get their courtain ripped or their fuel stolen.So, they are trying to get back to the ferry quickly, if possible, driving up to the limit. aND

That’s tough when in Rome do as the Romans do. The parking is a rip off but if they can’t afford to run the job to the real costs there is a problem. Any Brits still going over the water have to quite rightly abide by there rules so why doesn’t it work both ways.

Agree wholeheartedly…thats why the muppet was crying like a baby saying that he drives in Russia, Turkey and Europe but only England causes problems…well yes matey, we have laws and rules in this country, and we abide by them or pay the consequenses…so matey boy ( although having to pay any expenses himself) abides by the rules in Europe, but doesnt want to in the uk. The reason he thought he was being picked on was the fact there was other trucks also parked when he stopped ( amazed me when he showed photos of them ) but no doubt they too were foreigners. Yes i agree, open the doors, ask why theyve stopped, disturb their sleep, fine them and send them on their way…the more the better, maybe they will learn that you shouldnt park omn the hard shoulder, unless you have good reason its for EMERGENCIES ONLY.

Dennisthemenace:

mazzer:

The Pariah:

Complete and utter [zb]s :unamused: :unamused:

I’ve never had a problem nor know of anyone who has with a tacho under those circumstances. Even by the good old Guardia Civil. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Your talking crap man I met a bloke on the train who started the lorry in gear on a Sunday in la jonquera and it put a mark on the card got a €28000 fine and four years in the nick in San Sebastián can’t trust them basque old bill at all.

kr79:
Your talking crap man I met a bloke on the train who started the lorry in gear on a Sunday in la jonquera and it put a mark on the card got a €28000 fine and four years in the nick in San Sebastián can’t trust them basque old bill at all.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m just the luckiest trucker in the world KR :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I almost feel I’ve missed out on so much :open_mouth:

Was no where near “that ferry”, “that tunnel”, “that truckstop”, never been gassed despite parking in “known hotspots”, never paid a fine that wasn’t more than justified :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: . I just feel like I’ve been deprived of such necessities to be a truly accomplished european driver :cry:

I’ve never even owned a pair of clogs FFS :grimacing: