Foreign Drivers - not moaning, just a question

I’ve noticed that most of the Polish and Lithuanian lorries around here seem to always go around the outside of round-abouts even when turning right. The Germans and French etc don’t seem to do it so I was just wondering - is that the standard way of doing it in Poland and Lithuania?

It’s not just the poles and lithos, i’ve not a lot of poeple who think that it’s a standard ‘left hand lane for turning right only’ :unamused:

It can be safer to use the left hand lane sometimes.

limeyphil:

Very much so.

If there’s no line/lane markings saying otherwise, I’ll always be as far over to the right as possible.

it makes sense when driving a left ■■■■■■ to go as wide as possible when turning right at roundabouts. If you get too close to centre island and are turning tighter the kerb on the island is not in your right hand mirror (all you can see is the trailer.
Sounds to me that the overseas driver is just being cautious
Nowt wrong with that :exclamation:

limeyphil:

When?

Can’t answer the original question i’m afraid, but in a similar vain i’ve noticed that a few of our Polish drivers use their indicators when driving around in our yard, just to show they’re changing direction. Not a bad thing i suppose, but they’re the only ones that do it. Anyone else noticed this of Poles?

madtrucker:

limeyphil:

When?

When there’s a danger of someone coming up your inside unsighted. If you’re in the “right hand lane” of a roundabout you have to effectively change lanes to the left in order to exit some roundabouts, and even when there’s “two off” you still need to come left more or less straight away, therby “cutting across” anyone that’s there.

If you enter in the left lane, more often than not, you will just simple continue that line, in that lane and come off in the left lane. Cars/etc that are in the right lane will be visible in your offside mirror and it is they that must “cut across” to get off.

It might not be the "textbook! way of doing it, but I find I have far fewer near misses doing it that way.

Obviously - I did say earlier “in the absence of lane/line markings”

Ooh - Hang on, Ive found a pic.

Not perfect, but you can see that all roads have two lanes in, and two lanes off, but none have any markings other than the Give Way single line on entry to the roundabout.

Were I the green car turning right, but in a truck, I would enter from the left lane, but indicating right for the reasons I said above. This would also allow the free passage of cars ‘behind’ me to go round both the roundabout and me - assuming I could do it all “in my own half” and not need to take some of their lane with the trailer wheels.

Obviously, I need to be aware of the buffoon in the right hand lane (on approach) that is actually turning left but believes he just has to beat the truck :unamused: AND the car/van/other truck that is intending to go straight on. Clearly, as it’s me that’s “out of position” I would yield to someone going straight on if there appeared to be any conflict.

I defend that approach with this …

Rule 187:
In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to

Some others, and …

long vehicles (including those towing trailers). These might have to take a different course or straddle lanes either approaching or on the roundabout because of their length. Watch out for their signals

And I’ve just noticed that this roundabout in particular is of the variety built up on the kerbs, designed to flip me over if I’ve not taken enough space :unamused:

And …

(I know, I know - I’ll shut up now)

Thinking about left-hookers, they may have better vision in their wide angle, down the side where the other traffic is.

If there’s 2 lanes in and out I’ll take either…

Or both if it’s a little 'un :sunglasses:

Unless a sign or marking says otherwise, you can go right at a round about in the left lane. So I don’t know what that highway code pic is all about because that blue car doesn’t just have to go straight on, it can go right.

I can see what you’re saying dambuster but it does tend to confuse other drivers mainly because it’s unexpected. If you did have an acident doing this then you may find yourself getting the blame. If there is any doubt I tend to take a central position to stop traffic passing me on either side. That way I know that apart from the odd idiot motorcyclist there is no risk of me side-swiping anyone.

The only roundabout where I take the left lane is when coming off the A1(N) to join M18. I’ve had some problems on that roundabout and it’s too wide for me to block both lanes on the r/a.

Steve-o:
Unless a sign or marking says otherwise, you can go right at a round about in the left lane. So I don’t know what that highway code pic is all about because that blue car doesn’t just have to go straight on, it can go right.

Highway code Rule 186 says:

Signals and position.

When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
  • keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
* signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
* keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
* signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
  • you should not normally need to signal on approach
  • stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

So if you follow the highway code you can’t turn right in the left lane unless signs say otherwise.

madtrucker:
I can see what you’re saying dambuster but it does tend to confuse other drivers mainly because it’s unexpected. If you did have an acident doing this then you may find yourself getting the blame.

I’m actually more concerned with avoiding an accident, rather than the “blame factor” But even so, were there to be a coming together, in would be that somebody else had crossed into another lane, and therefore me.

madtrucker:
If there is any doubt I tend to take a central position to stop traffic passing me on either side. That way I know that apart from the odd idiot motorcyclist there is no risk of me side-swiping anyone.

I think I’ve almost decided that there is always doubt, when a car and a truck need to use the same piece of tarmac. It’s the greatest cause of all the confusion and conflict between the two. Car drivers sometimes just don’t simply know, and truck drivers seem to forget that, out of the truck - they too are car drivers.

madtrucker:
The only roundabout where I take the left lane is when coming off the A1(N) to join M18. I’ve had some problems on that roundabout and it’s too wide for me to block both lanes on the r/a.

PMSL - That’s interesting. (To me) That’s one junction where I usually do go from the right hand lane. I’m almost sure, but I’ll have a look on Tuesday, that it is a lane/line marked entrance. The fortunate thing is that once your directly over the A1, you’re straight enough to have good vision down the nearside and if it’s not clear, you’ve time to come off in the right hand, then ease back to the left once on the M18 e/b on ramp.

It’s one that needs quite a bit of care because it encourages and indeed requires positive lane changing on the roundabout. Particularly in the directions you mention, and likewise coming off the A1 s/b to turn onto M18 w/b. I blame the open filter from M18 e/b to go north on the A1. It sort of throws everything else out of line.

Just my opinion, mind :wink:

PMSL - That’s interesting. (To me) That’s one junction where I usually do go from the right hand lane. I’m almost sure, but I’ll have a look on Tuesday, that it is a lane/line marked entrance. The fortunate thing is that once your directly over the A1, you’re straight enough to have good vision down the nearside and if it’s not clear, you’ve time to come off in the right hand, then ease back to the left once on the M18 e/b on ramp.

It’s one that needs quite a bit of care because it encourages and indeed requires positive lane changing on the roundabout. Particularly in the directions you mention, and likewise coming off the A1 s/b to turn onto M18 w/b. I blame the open filter from M18 e/b to go north on the A1. It sort of throws everything else out of line.

Your right, the sign does say that the left lane is for tuning left only. Your also right in saying that it’s the filter lane that causes problems. I’ve had quite a few cars come of the M18 to go onto the A1 south and they have sat on my inside expecting to go all the way around. I’ve decided that in this case it is safer for me to ignore the sign telling me to use the right lane.

madtrucker:
I’ve noticed that most of the Polish and Lithuanian lorries around here seem to always go around the outside of round-abouts even when turning right.

Its because they dont know which side of the road to drive on in the UK :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tiger.

Steve-o:

Where did you learn to drive? Poland? :confused:

steve_24v:
If there’s 2 lanes in and out I’ll take either…

Or both if it’s a little 'un :sunglasses:

use both every time, stops anyone getting alongside in your blind spot :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Being a former motorsport man,I take the shortest and quickest line through the roundabout,if it is safe to do so.

Ken.