Ford bringing the Capri name back?

Ford are rumoured to be bringing back the Capri name on VW’s MEB skateboard platform, They already announced the new Ford Explorer EV last week built on VW’s platform. :sunglasses: fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufa … ectric-car
I had three Capri’s in the 1970/80’s & loved them. autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- … ond-meb-ev

Firstly the Granada was the better drive and handling car with wishbone front and semi trailing IRS and wider track.
What’s the point of putting a name made by its association with proper ICE powered cars like Mustang and Capri on a joke EV it certainly won’t fool the customer.Who at the end of the day pays for it all if not obviously a government bail out and the government doesn’t have the cash.
Or even worse a financial black hole in the form of non existent residual values because even if new buyers might be fooled by the name used ones won’t.

a late model accident damaged silver Capri came past me today,on the back of a truck.
i had a glorious Mk 1 facelift Capri in the '80s had a prang in that :frowning: and a horrible Mk 1 that i bought in the dark…that taught me a lesson :laughing: and my dad had a 3-litre red Mk 1 that was his pride and joy :sunglasses:

carryfast-yeti:
a late model accident damaged silver Capri came past me today,on the back of a truck.
i had a glorious Mk 1 facelift Capri in the '80s had a prang in that :frowning: and a horrible Mk 1 that i bought in the dark…that taught me a lesson :laughing: and my dad had a 3-litre red Mk 1 that was his pride and joy :sunglasses:

I prefer straight 6 or V12 but the Essex V6 was the exception that proved the rule.

youtu.be/nWvJXeedTck

This whole scene is what we stand to lose if we don’t stop these anti ICE zealots before it’s too late.First they’ll take out the new ones then they’ll want to wipe out the old ones bearing in mind that the fuels needed to run and product support and skills required to maintain the classics is dependent on an ongoing viable industry dedicated to ICE.
I really don’t understand lanpudn’s position on all this he’s a contradictory enigma contained within an oxymoron.
Either he likes ICE powered vehicles and wants to save them or he hates them and everything they stood/stand for.
Bearing in mind it was the Merlin that liberated Europe from 1940.

I have a foot in both camps with owning an ICE car & a “joke” EV, How many BEV’s have you driven to come up with that statement? I’ve driven four different brands of BEV’s before choosing my MG ZS EV & none of them were “joke” ev’s. The one pedal driving & quiet drive is a breath of fresh air for me.
Besides I don’t subscribe to the world according to carryfast.
The thing with the “joke” EV is it drives superb, Very smooth & responsive & still way cheaper to run than my ICE car for my personal car requirements to the point where I doubt I’ll use the ICE car again but I never burn my bridges.

I’ve been following this transition to BEV’s since the onset of the Paris accord back in 2015 purely because it’s something our generation hasn’t seen before which will cause untold disruption & that doesn’t mean I’m advocating it. If the powers that be could have come up with some arrangement to allow all parties to continue driving both types of vehicles then all’s good with me.
But looking at the future regulations it doesn’t appear that fossil fuels will have a smooth ride unless you have deep pockets judging by the outcome of the EU vote yesterday. 27 EU countries backed the vote with Poland voting against it & Bulgaria, Italy and Romania abstaining.
euractiv.com/section/road-t … from-2035/

lancpudn:
I have a foot in both camps with owning an ICE car & a “joke” EV, How many BEV’s have you driven to come up with that statement? I’ve driven four different brands of BEV’s before choosing my MG ZS EV & none of them were “joke” ev’s. The one pedal driving & quiet drive is a breath of fresh air for me.
The thing with the “joke” EV is it drives superb, Very smooth & responsive & still way cheaper to run than my ICE car for my personal car requirements to the point where I doubt I’ll use the ICE car again but I never burn my bridges.

I’ve been following this transition to BEV’s since the onset of the Paris accord back in 2015 purely because it’s something our generation hasn’t seen before which will cause untold disruption & that doesn’t mean I’m advocating it. If the powers that be could have come up with some arrangement to allow all parties to continue driving both types of vehicles then all’s good with me.
But looking at the future regulations it doesn’t appear that fossil fuels will have a smooth ride unless you have deep pockets judging by the outcome of the EU vote yesterday. 27 EU countries backed the vote with Poland voting against it & Bulgaria, Italy and Romania abstaining.

Ironically working as a driver delivering and collecting only JLR vehicles around the country I’ve driven the Jaguar EV range at least.But ironically way outweighed by customer demand for the ICE options including the hybrids.
The reason why EVs have good throttle response is because of the torque characteristics of electric motors and moreso the fact that it’s a mechanical transmission not blunted by a torque converter just like a proper manual box with a clutch.
Obviously the manual Capri among others isn’t for you and your incessant celebration of the electric nightmare thats being foisted on us, while exaggerating the few downsides of ICE, says everything about your supposed ‘foot in both camps’ claim.I don’t buy it.

lancpudn:

EV is fine if you’re a retired old giffer who just does a bit of local urban/city driving, but a long journey and you enter the twilight zone of range anxiety, finding a charger, joining the queue and having to wait and buy expensive coffee while your conveyance’s battery can be coaxed back to life, real progress all that.
The Chinese ‘MG’ certainly seems to be marketed exclusively to the aforementioned type from the examples I see on the road, with silver haired owners trying to relive their youth when they drove a proper MG :laughing: Hopefully Ford will leave the Capri name to history, they could abbreviate the name on an EV version and just call it Crap.

bigstraight6:

lancpudn:

EV is fine if you’re a retired old giffer who just does a bit of local urban/city driving, but a long journey and you enter the twilight zone of range anxiety, finding a charger, joining the queue and having to wait and buy expensive coffee while your conveyance’s battery can be coaxed back to life, real progress all that.
The Chinese ‘MG’ certainly seems to be marketed exclusively to the aforementioned type from the examples I see on the road, with silver haired owners trying to relive their youth when they drove a proper MG :laughing: Hopefully Ford will leave the Capri name to history, they could abbreviate the name on an EV version and just call it Crap.

I’d guess that lanpudn’s idea of a ‘proper’ MG or Ford Capri has a maximum of 4 cylinders and an auto box and preferably Chinese made EV.
Foot in both camps indeed.

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

Ironically working as a driver delivering and collecting only JLR vehicles around the country I’ve driven the Jaguar EV range at least.But ironically way outweighed by customer demand for the ICE options including the hybrids.
The reason why EVs have good throttle response is because of the torque characteristics of electric motors and moreso the fact that it’s a mechanical transmission not blunted by a torque converter just like a proper manual box with a clutch.
Obviously the manual Capri among others isn’t for you and your incessant celebration of the electric nightmare thats being foisted on us, while exaggerating the few downsides of ICE, says everything about your supposed ‘foot in both camps’ claim.I don’t buy it.

I couldn’t give a monkeys elbow whether you buy it or not, Who is us? You got that broad brush out you paint everything with because you don’t like something? No EV nightmare being foisted on me whatsoever, Those Jaguar dealerships will be a bit thin on the ground by 2025 as they ■■■■■ dealerships across the country to under 20. Jaguar are even asking dealerships to give up their Jaguar franchises the dealerships have spent millions on :open_mouth: Sales of the i-pace BEV are pitiful worldwide & the model is in dire need of a upgrade in all departments. worldnewsera.com/automobile/why … s-by-2025/
I can see the same thing happening to Land Rover as they haven’t even got a BEV model out yet & they’ve only got 7+ years before the ICE ban.
Where are they going to get a meaningful supply line of battery packs & drive trains let alone the software from at this late hour? The UK government have announced today that they’ll be following the EU lead & ruling out expensive e-fuels for cars & vans & sticking to the 2030 ICE ban.fleetnews.co.uk/news/latest … ve-e-fuels

lancpudn:
I can see the same thing happening to Land Rover as they haven’t even got a BEV model out yet & they’ve only got 7+ years before the ICE ban.

That’s being disingenuous, JLR have plenty of hybrids and their expiry is not for 12 years.

stu675:

lancpudn:

That’s being disingenuous, JLR have plenty of hybrids and their expiry is not for 12 years.

Hybrids yes (compliance cars) BEV’s no.

lancpudn:

stu675:

lancpudn:

Probably because of the fears of alienating the customer base.I delivered a nice Defender V8 yesterday to add to the customer’s V8 RR sport.
For someone who claims neutrality you seem be more than interested in lack of ‘compliance’.
Defying this all electric captive market scam is the only way to stop it.

bigstraight6:

lancpudn:

The Ford Crap lolol

lancpudn:

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

I couldn’t give a monkeys elbow whether you buy it or not, Who is us? You got that broad brush out you paint everything with because you don’t like something? No EV nightmare being foisted on me whatsoever,

Us is the majority who still drive ICE vehicles, normal working class people like lorry drivers for instance. There is not a single EV in my workplace car park as we just can’t afford it until it’s a good few years old, by which time it will be useless and worthless with a ■■■■■■ battery. No EV nightmare indeed.

bigstraight6:
Us is the majority who still drive ICE vehicles, normal working class people like lorry drivers for instance. There is not a single EV in my workplace car park as we just can’t afford it until it’s a good few years old, by which time it will be useless and worthless with a [zb] battery. No EV nightmare indeed.

The fuel costs alone will be crippling at more than 50p per kWh + the equivalent of fuel duty and 20% VAT.
The only way that these scammers can make this stick is by withdrawing product support and fuel supplies for all ICE car use retrospectively.
Good luck with that when the finance providers are left with billions of negative equity used car stocks when their owners throw the keys in before the lease has run out or liquidate their guaranteed PCP deals at four times what the car is worth.
While the reality is ICE sales and values taking off and EV buyers looking for a cut price bargain if they are buying at all.Follow the money and it ain’t going into EVs no matter how much the CCP are controlling the narrative and their UK government puppets are trying to deliver on it.
If they do the automotive sector’s collapse will trigger a massive financial implosion.
The applies same to domestic fuel.
Consumers are complaining about high gas prices they aren’t calling for electric boilers instead.Unless they can’t do maths.

Meanwhile, back to the original post - bringing the Capri name back. I suppose it depends on the style of car they’re putting it on - if it’s going on a 2+2 sporty coupe, fair enough. But if, like the ‘Mustang’*, it’s going to be applied to something so far removed from the original concept, then “no”. At least the Capri stuck to the same format through Consul Classic Capri, Capri and Capri 2 models.

• I would have thought that resurrecting the Maverick moniker would have suited the new electric 5-door thing better than Mustang, at least in Europe where the Maverick was virtually unknown except to enthusiasts of American cars.

bigstraight6:

lancpudn:

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

I couldn’t give a monkeys elbow whether you buy it or not, Who is us? You got that broad brush out you paint everything with because you don’t like something? No EV nightmare being foisted on me whatsoever,

Us is the majority who still drive ICE vehicles, normal working class people like lorry drivers for instance. There is not a single EV in my workplace car park as we just can’t afford it until it’s a good few years old, by which time it will be useless and worthless with a [zb] battery. No EV nightmare indeed.

You speak for everybody then? I still driver ICE cars & spend as much time on ICE forums as EV forums, Funny how there are thousands of happy EV owners out there some lorry driver owners included.

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

stu675:

lancpudn:

Probably because of the fears of alienating the customer base.I delivered a nice Defender V8 yesterday to add to the customer’s V8 RR sport.
For someone who claims neutrality you seem be more than interested in lack of ‘compliance’.
Defying this all electric captive market scam is the only way to stop it.

There you go again with unfounded assumptions. Ignorant habit is that.

fodenway:
Meanwhile, back to the original post - bringing the Capri name back. I suppose it depends on the style of car they’re putting it on - if it’s going on a 2+2 sporty coupe, fair enough. But if, like the ‘Mustang’*, it’s going to be applied to something so far removed from the original concept, then “no”. At least the Capri stuck to the same format through Consul Classic Capri, Capri and Capri 2 models.

• I would have thought that resurrecting the Maverick moniker would have suited the new electric 5-door thing better than Mustang, at least in Europe where the Maverick was virtually unknown except to enthusiasts of American cars.

I read that it will have the exact same specs as the newly announced Ford explorer for Europe which is smaller than the USA one so I suspect it will be a crossover type car. I agree they should let these brand names die out with the old ICE models because Ford Mustang, Dodge Charger they ain’t anymore.

lancpudn:
I agree they should let these brand names die out with the old ICE models because Ford Mustang, Dodge Charger they ain’t anymore.

Agreed there, but it is unlikely to happen.
“Branding” is all around us, and for whatever reason* does sell things. “Mustang” and “Capri” badges will help sell vehicles. Just as the image of Caterpillar`s huge earth moving machines sells socks and watches.

• I suspect reason has little to do with it!
    It is explicable and quantifiable, but not based in logic.