For those who moan about self tipping

Last Saturday morning I tipped at aldi, booked for 6am but got on a bay at 05:30am, tipped my self, out and home.

Now sat at Argos, 14:30 booking, arrived at 13:53, been sat on a bay since 14:20 and it’s now 17:15 and the only thing goods in will tell me is that it will be a while yet. Mid week it wouldnt bother me as much but when your wanting to get home, I know which id rather do. Tip myself as quick as I can rather than wait over 3 hours for someone else to do it!

Rowley010:
Last Saturday morning I tipped at aldi, booked for 6am but got on a bay at 05:30am, tipped my self, out and home.

Now sat at Argos, 14:30 booking, arrived at 13:53, been sat on a bay since 14:20 and it’s now 17:15 and the only thing goods in will tell me is that it will be a while yet. Mid week it wouldnt bother me as much but when your wanting to get home, I know which id rather do. Tip myself as quick as I can rather than wait over 3 hours for someone else to do it!

I feel exactly the same way but there are plenty out there who think anything other than turning the wheel constitutes a “not my job mate” comment.

I used to enjoy tipping myself it gave me a chance to stretch my legs.

Argos check every single item inside the pallet.
You can be four hours or more at Basildon Rdc.
Bridgewater Rdc hours there, but they let nasty smelling, scruffy menacing juggernaut drivers to eat in their cheap subsidised canteen .
Keep the goods in ticket so security let you in the cafe upstairs.
Heywood Rdc Pilsworth rd North Manchester, tell security you tip Argos, Argos stamp entry ticket to ind est, once tipped, pull out Argos, then free Lgv parking.
If not tip Argos,pay to park or on Snap.

Getting tipped quick just means more work for me .

dozy:

Yet last year you were regularly complaining about waiting to be tipped on construction sites all the time? :open_mouth:

Evil8Beezle:

dozy:

Yet last year you were regularly complaining about waiting to be tipped on construction sites all the time? :open_mouth:

He is quite contrary is our dozy.

I load and tip myself. Some sites I even have to do the weighbridge too.

dozy:

Middle of the week I’m not so fussed as I’m sat there getting the hours in. On a Friday when I was supposed to have a nice easy tip at 14:30 and I get there early to try and get a head then get home for half 4, then I don’t end up getting out until 18:10, home for 19:30, 3 hours later than planned. That’s when I’d most certainly rather self tip!

happysack:

Evil8Beezle:

dozy:

Contrary? Well that’s one way of putting it I guess, and unusually polite for you! :smiley:

just another demeaning aspect that has crept into the job…the clue in the name for me when i started at this job was driver…i didnt see loader,unloader,warehouse worker,but as nobody sticks together,and the newer brigade of steering wheel attendants come into it,then the job will just erode away into doing whats required as someone else will do it if the 1st co wont.it used to be handbaling loads of everything,but that stopped when they invented pallets.if they have flts,then once your trailer has docked,it becomes an extension of their loading bay,so all the “were not insured to go into your trailer mate” is utter pish.but so long as drivers want to be cheap labour,then itl just continue and get worse.

Evil8Beezle:

happysack:

Evil8Beezle:

dozy:

Contrary? Well that’s one way of putting it I guess, and unusually polite for you! :smiley:

Why, thank you sir

dieseldog999:
just another demeaning aspect that has crept into the job…the clue in the name for me when i started at this job was driver…i didnt see loader,unloader,warehouse worker,but as nobody sticks together,and the newer brigade of steering wheel attendants come into it,then the job will just erode away into doing whats required as someone else will do it if the 1st co wont.it used to be handbaling loads of everything,but that stopped when they invented pallets.if they have flts,then once your trailer has docked,it becomes an extension of their loading bay,so all the “were not insured to go into your trailer mate” is utter pish.but so long as drivers want to be cheap labour,then itl just continue and get worse.

Regardless, I’d still rather tip myself and be in control of how long it takes rather than be at the mercy of someone else. That way, I’m in a rush I can crack on, if I want to drag it out…I can.

Rowley010:

I agree with the ‘’ when you are wanting to get home’’ bit, but I do not get paid any extra for rushing about. In fact I get paid the same amount for sitting on my arse for the 3 hours you mention.
My particular firm do not go out of their way to overpay me or do anything for me that they do not have to do by any means.
I have no desire make an impression and be a hero to get a pat on the head or my tummy rubbed by the boss, so call me cynical, but the 3 hour thing is fine by me. :bulb:

If you start tipping yourself everywhere, after driving there for God knows how long, and for no extra money, it’s the thin end of the wedge to make the job even more crap to what it has become already.

The problem is though Rowley that unless drivers bugger off after 2 hours, these companies will carry on taking the ■■■■. The worst that can happen to you is that you get sacked, and then you can just find another job.

Until these companies start running short of products, they won’t learn. Stick it to the man fella.

Rowley010:

dieseldog999:

Regardless, I’d still rather tip myself and be in control of how long it takes rather than be at the mercy of someone else. That way, I’m in a rush I can crack on, if I want to drag it out…I can.

It all makes a bit of sense ‘if’ it’s all just a case of shifting pallets or cages on and/or off the truck as part of a job and finish shift.

However we all know that it can be the thin end of the wedge that’ll end up with many drivers being lumbered with numerous warehouse duties like breaking down pallets and hand balling loads on an off the truck and also in/around the warehouse or delivery point including transhipping onto/off of other trailers.Or stuffing loose loaded trailers or containers with handballed loads among other numerous similar examples.All as part of the same 15 hour shift regardless.

DD99 has got it spot on.

robroy:
If you start tipping yourself everywhere, after driving there for God knows how long, and for no extra money, it’s the thin end of the wedge to make the job even more crap to what it has become already.

^ This.

Bearing in mind that terms and conditions can be dependent on ‘past practice’.In which case volunteering for such heroics can then change the job fundamentally.Possibly from what was a regular decent 9/10 hour job and finish trunk run/s,to regular 13/15 hour requirement of warehouse work before during and after the actual run/s. :bulb:

All I’m getting at is that there are pros and cons to self tip. There’s the whole not my job argument which I’m not getting in to. Then there’s the point I’m making that SOMETIMES self tip can be a pro because it puts you in control of doing it rather than waiting on others and not getting any answers from an office when your battling against the clock. This Friday I would have preferred to just crack on and self tip and get home rather than waiting 3 hours for someone else to do it who doesn’t care that I want to go home.

Rowley010:
All I’m getting at is that there are pros and cons to self tip. There’s the whole not my job argument which I’m not getting in to. Then there’s the point I’m making that SOMETIMES self tip can be a pro because it puts you in control of doing it rather than waiting on others and not getting any answers from an office when your battling against the clock. This Friday I would have preferred to just crack on and self tip and get home rather than waiting 3 hours for someone else to do it who doesn’t care that I want to go home.

Yeah, they don’t mention the random compulsory overtime in the job description do they? :laughing:
Driver shortage? :open_mouth:

The worst I’ve had was an amazon rdc near Birmingham 26 pallets to come off stuck in a scabby drivers room with a broken vending machine for 7 hours no food only some luke warm water and a TV with jerremy kyle on and of course I had decided to lock my cab before handing my keys in its an absolute joke of a place I couldn’t believe a company could treat workers as badly as that if I ever and up doing another amazon again the can will be staying unlocked and I will be hoping for a site ban for waiting in my cab! !

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk