For the young'uns

We keep hearing all these old gits like Bob, Dave, Malc and Mal (to name but a few) raving about Bedford TK’s, Scammel’s, Seddon Atkinson’s, Foden’s, Volvo F86’s etc… What do you think will be the old time motor YOU will rave about in your later life?

For me, at the moment (unless something better comes along), it would be the mk.1 FH12 460 Globule (not had the pleasure of driving the FH16 yet).

our old 1992 F16 - last decent truck volvo (or anyone else) ever made :smiley:

jj72:

There was an F16 Globule for sale for £5k in the first CM mag of October but it needed a new box. :frowning:

eh bring back thee horse and cart i say who needs 500 horse power and comfy warm clean quite cabs with all the trimmings
youth of today dont know there born :laughing: :laughing:
i bet someone comes on here and says they would sooner drive some moter from the 50s or 60s
yeah right what ever

wylie:
eh bring back thee horse and cart i say who needs 500 horse power and comfy warm clean quite cabs with all the trimmings
youth of today dont know there born :laughing: :laughing:
i bet someone comes on here and says they would sooner drive some moter from the 50s or 60s
yeah right what ever

Eat this!

tandd.tnn.co.uk/Features/plonear … 3660330107

there we go that didnt take long

I think i can still class myself as a 'young ‘un’ but I’m still going to say the Atkinson Borderer. I suppose I have to do seeing as I own one!

If you are talking modern (well, reasonably modern) trucks, I’d probably go with the Scania 142/143.

Magnum takes some beating for me, but also the FH12.

Salut, David.

Spardo:
Magnum takes some beating for me, but also the FH12.

Salut, David.

Since when were you a young’un ?

We keep hearing all these old gits like Bob, Dave, Malc and Mal …

:unamused: :confused:

Rob K:
… What do you think will be the old time motor YOU will rave about in your later life?

You know something I don’t? :open_mouth:
That I won’t have a later life, or that I won’t be raving? :sunglasses:

If I live to be 90, I’ve only had 2/3rds so far.
If you live to be 60 you’ve already had 5/6ths :laughing: .
So who’s a young 'un? :unamused:

Salut, David.

DAF 2800 - I know it’s old by today’s standards, but by the end of it’s life it had the acutriments of the modern motors running around today (space cab, etc)

It’s new by the old coach-built standards, and there are precious few being restored in comparison to ERFs, Volvos, etc.

The other one would be the flat-top F10/12. They made a real statement when they arrived on the scene after the Tip-top F88/9.

Spardo:
You know something I don’t? :open_mouth:
That I won’t have a later life, or that I won’t be raving? :sunglasses:

If I live to be 90, I’ve only had 2/3rds so far.
If you live to be 60 you’ve already had 5/6ths :laughing: .
So who’s a young 'un? :unamused:

Salut, David.

Spot on David

A passage from the BBC Sitcom Early Doors summed it up:

“Have you lived around here all your life then Tommy?”

“No, not YET!”

Point being - we sometimes consider our lives to be just the bit we’ve already lived - there’s all the rest of it yet; just think what might happen :open_mouth:

marky:
there are precious few being restored in comparison to ERFs, Volvos, etc.

With the exception of Volvo, could that be something to do with fibreglass v. steel?

The other one would be the flat-top F10/12. They made a real statement when they arrived on the scene after the Tip-top F88/9.

Strange, at Whitetrux the first F10 didn’t go to the favourite driver, and I remember when first looking inside, how I didn’t fancy it in comparison to my F89. All that plastic compared to tastefully painted steel. :sunglasses: .

Salut, David.

Spardo:
With the exception of Volvo, could that be something to do with fibreglass v. steel?

Well partially true I suppse, although there are plenty of old Scanias, Ford Transcons, Leylands, etc. on the restoration scene that are steel and not glass-fibre cabbed.

Maybe the old DAFs aren’t as glamorous a prospect as their Swedish brethren?

E reg Leyland Roadtrain with a 280 in. Oldest wagon I’ve ever driven. Saw a G plate FL10 at a place I was at recently. I remember driving that when it was new.

jj72:

I had the 1991 F16
could let them down the appenin high to 1000Rpm and he pulled by full load away again without shifting back.Just at begin of Hill half Gear back and up to top.
the Exhaust.Excelent.
Better in Power was just the MAN 500 with 10 Cylinder.
Hans hunted them with 24ton Wine from Sterzing with 90km/h high

I know where there are three immaculate F16s.

All of them are off the road, but kept in spotless condition. The owner won’t part with them, but doesn’t do anything with them either.

the mark 1 daf xf when they first came out on the p reg they were way ahead of anything else and ive never been a fan of the volvo before this one i liked the f seris but not the old fh.

marky:
I know where there are three immaculate F16s.

All of them are off the road, but kept in spotless condition. The owner won’t part with them, but doesn’t do anything with them either.

up until about a year ago i used to see her about pulling a brick trailer round south midlands and wanted to stop the bloke (presume an OD?) and tell him
how much graft she’d done, uzbekistan many times etc - reg was K500CWT, new to chris waite at driffield, and has remained in his green colours since :sunglasses:

Of course in these days of driver power - when the guy behind the wheel can often influence the boss as to the motor he buys

Eh?

Saw a G plate FL10 at a place I was at recently. I remember driving that when it was new.

Yes it is stange when you see a vehicle which is now an ‘old banger’ that you remember driving when it was new! :slight_smile: