Food prep. Nights away

I was just wondering what sort of meals do we all eat or cook for ourselves when we do the nights away as i am going to be doing them a little more often from now. I dont want to fall into the trap of the service station food which we all have done. They are ■■■■ expensive even more so when you have to pay to stay there.

So maybe just a list of what you all have in your cabs food wise… [emoji16] it would be a great help to see what others are doing so i can get some ideas for myself.

Stay safe keep on trucking.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

i have a freezer in the garage that i keep all my meals in i make a month worth at a time and put the meals in a fridge in the cab
burgers
spag bol
currys
any left overs at home
its a great idea , if u don’t have anything at home i just go in the garage and defrost a meal

I have 3kw 7kw peak inverter in truck an Asda 700w micro wave also fridge and make up sweet n sours etc and take
Made 4 portions of sweet n sour chicken yesterday and cost £4.47 for chicken thighs and £1.70 for 2 tescos jars of sauce = £1.55 portion

If the missus is making a meal in the week for the kids (think I have kids, ain’t seen them in years, ones ginger so it’s understandable) I ask her to make me a portion for me and freeze it.

We also have a portion for portion deal whereby if she gives me a portion I give her one.

Truth be told I’ve been on supermarket meals for 3 years.

I usually have a variety of tinned veggies, beans, lentils. I go away with some fresh veg too, and bread of course. Pasta, some sauces. Cereal. I just eat like I do at home, except at home I tend to zero in on dishes that use the oven, as I can’t get that in the week!

I’m self catering now.

Curry
Chillies
Stews
Savoury mince
Casseroles

All knocked up at home and bunged in the freezer.
Do extra mash and veg on Sunday… to take with me.
Any unused sausages/bacon from the weekend.
Cereals,toast,fruit.
Keep some tins of soup,spam and tuna in the cab.
Soya milk
Almond milk
Fruit juice
4 pint cans of Stella

No cake
No biscuits
No chocolate

Just to add since I’ve started cooking all my own I’ve lost 3st 4lb :open_mouth: since last Christmas
was 17st 11lb now 14st 7lb or gone from 44" waist to 38/40" depending on trousers
I was still at school (27 years ago )the last time I was this weight I am now :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

blue estate:
Just to add since I’ve started cooking all my own I’ve lost 3st 4lb :open_mouth: since last Christmas
was 17st 11lb now 14st 7lb or gone from 44" waist to 38/40" depending on trousers
I was still at school (27 years ago )the last time I was this weight I am now :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Bloody good work!

slowlane:

blue estate:

Bloody good work!

And I do general haulage class 2 tramping not day multi drop [emoji6]
Also helps having a 89 mk4 ■■■■■■ to maintain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make literally whatever you want. Stove and a pot and a frying pan and a wok, you can make pretty much anything you fancy.

Few packs of microwave rice, some noodles, tins of veg and soup always there, I buy fresh veg and steam it in the microwave, takes 5 mins.

The only limit is your fridge and your imagination.

A.

That all sounds good. All i have is a camping stove and a fridge. So went to asda before and got tins of…

Curry
Stewed steak
Casseroles
Pot noodles
Potatoes
Rice

So on… but like you dipper i have children but 4 of the ■■■■■■■ and 1 is a right ■■■■ so glad to be getting away from home. But i think i am definatley going to get the misses to do some meals and will have to sort here out with an extra link on the chain for the sink.

I try to keep things smimple so I make chicken or tuna salads and fresh fruit, yoghurts and porridge…

Oconn87:
That all sounds good. All i have is a camping stove and a fridge. So went to asda before and got tins of…

Curry
Stewed steak
Casseroles
Pot noodles
Potatoes
Rice

So on… but like you dipper i have children but 4 of the [zb] and 1 is a right [zb] so glad to be getting away from home. But i think i am definatley going to get the misses to do some meals and will have to sort here out with an extra link on the chain for the sink.

Those tins are ok if you’re completely stuck, make up some curry sauce or the like at home and then cook your chicken or fish or whatever in the cab. Healthier and much more filling, plus if you divvy the sauce into little tubs to micro, you’ll save ages on the washing up.

Its a bit of trial and error to see what works for you, personally I like to eat as fresh as possible.

A.

Thats why i will get the misses to do some meals while i am away as i have nothing pre made yet so hence why i went asda. Off to anglsey tomorrow and not sure after that drop so wanted things i could make pretty easy and quick. That shop i have just done is an emergency shop as i have nothing… kids eat too ■■■■ much in our house.

Got a 24volt microwave.
The wife makes me home cooked meals, sheperds pie, casseroles, curries and chinese, and rice.
Baked potatoes, packs of salad, and cold cooked meat to make tortilla wraps with cole slaw and sweet chilli sauce.
6 to 7 pints of milk for cereals and lattes, and a few bottles of Bud.
I have a pub meal at least once or week with a pint, as I aint one for parking in lay bys, anything I don’t use I leave in the fridge on low over the wk.end for next week.
I have a treat of a cooked breakfast (very selective of the venue btw) once every fortnight to 3 weeks.
There is no need to live on crap while away, like the daymen seem to think that we do :unamused: …, as well as them thinking we never wash or shower from one week to the next. :unamused: :smiley:

if you are a member on facebook have a look at a group called ‘THE TRUCKING CHEF’. you might get some ideas from there,

Hard to beat a nice bitta steak done in frying pan with extra virgin olive oil bitta cracked black pepper onions/mushrooms bunged in too.
Top er up with cheap “pick ur own” boxed salad bar outta Morrison’s etc. :sunglasses:

Takes about 5mins!!!

A slow cooker is fantastic and so easy

Fridge to keep milk and cold drinks and use a little fold out gas stove to cook dried rice pasta ect mixed with pre cooked chicken from the fridge, a bit neanderthal but eat out of the saucepan, saves on washing up :grimacing: Only use the gas stove outside on the floor or mini fold out table i transfer from trailer to trailer in the tool locker. 12% bodyfat and a six pack equates to not eating ■■■■■ cafe food. Once a week at the cafe near Jaca ill stop for a fat/calorie intake but other than that i avoid. Self catering is the way to go, far healthier and saves a fortune too…

An easy but healthy cab cooking menu, I eat a lot of Japanese food as it is healthy and easy to prepare, Sushi dishes are easy enough to prepare in your cab. I don’t store fresh fish in my cab but simply stop off at any supermarket and pick up fresh fillets. Also a wok is a great addition to the traditional frying pan, stir fry is simple to prepare in a cab.