Following a truck at 45 mph

I just don’t get it, on a single carriageway I’ll sit behind a chap doing 40mph until their is a safe enough place to pass if I even feel like I want to pass, but why do some people sit at 45mph? Your already breaking the law and inpatient people or people who want to crack on (like myself from time to time) are left needing a greater distance to get past.

I really don’t get it, it should be flat to the mat or legal, so this half hearted stuff.

(I’m not talking about twisty roads either where it isn’t safe to crack on, I’m talking about long straights.)

I usually do 44ish as it’s about 70kmh, I go by the idea of it’s a more realistic speed but greatly reduced risk of a ticket. People should get by me on duals and motorways though as I do 52 on those even though I can just get 56 flat out.
I don’t agree with your idea of “flat out or 40” though. Sometimes neither is appropriate.

NewLad:
I just don’t get it, on a single carriageway I’ll sit behind a chap doing 40mph until their is a safe enough place to pass if I even feel like I want to pass, but why do some people sit at 45mph? Your already breaking the law and inpatient people or people who want to crack on (like myself from time to time) are left needing a greater distance to get past.

I really don’t get it, it should be flat to the mat or legal, so this half hearted stuff.

(I’m not talking about twisty roads either where it isn’t safe to crack on, I’m talking about long straights.)

Nothing better to moan about? I sit at 45 ish on single carriageway, I will break the law a bit, like nearly every one does on D/Cs, but unlikely to get done doing it, unless its a camera.

At 44mph you should get away with it.

We’re all different its part of life’s rich tapestry…best thing though is to avoid single carriageways as much as possible, stick to duals and enjoy the leg show instead… :smiling_imp:

NewLad:

Here’s the problem…the guy infront doing 45 wants to do exactly what HE wants to do, you want to do exactly what YOU want to do. You then want him to drive to accomodate YOU ? !! :laughing:
You can actually get a lot of novelty value from an impatient driver behind by altering your speed up and down a bit, occasionally tapping the brakes so the lights come on, indicate right occasionally even when carrying straight on. It can be fun to watch them in your right hand mirror bobbing out to see whats going on. Then when other lorrys are approaching i flash them and put my thumbs down, no idea what it means but they say thanks with a thumbs up and a flash of the lights back and they slow right down. It doesn’t have to be a boring mundane job, you can make your own fun.

Juddian:
At 44mph you should get away with it.

We’re all different its part of life’s rich tapestry…best thing though is to avoid single carriageways as much as possible, stick to duals and enjoy the leg show instead… :smiling_imp:

I saw “the leg show” in Gt Yarmouth yesterday afternoon, waiting an age and a day for the bridge to drop…I wont be asking for an encore that’s for sure. If you got inside that you’d need a Scammell Contractor to pull you out. :smiling_imp:

Maybe those doing 45 are aware that 40 ■■■■■■ everyone off and agree that the speed limit should be reviewed so they are trying to go a little bit faster without going recklessly fast which might attract attention to themselves. 70kmh is roughly the speed limit + 10% so not likely to get a ticket.

m1cks:
Maybe those doing 45 are aware that 40 ■■■■■■ everyone off and agree that the speed limit should be reviewed so they are trying to go a little bit faster without going recklessly fast which might attract attention to themselves. 70kmh is roughly the speed limit + 10% so not likely to get a ticket.

+1 why does everyone want everyone else to drive faster, I have had my PSV (olden days) HGV both for 27 years and my car licence for 30 years with never having any endorsements, admittedly when unhindered I drive around 10% faster than I should when I “think” I can get way with it car or wagon, why the ■■■■ should I expect anyone else to risk their licence or an accident because I want to go another 5mph faster to sit at the next lights or roundabout for 20 seconds longer?
If some one is obeying the law deal with it or even learn from it, your employer wont take the fine or the points or stand up in court at an inquest and tell the family of an accident “well I told the driver to ignore the speed limits and crack on to keep the customer happy” :wink:
Seriously have you not got an extra 10 minutes in your day to allow you to ease off and make life more chilled or wait for a bleedin dual carriageway?

I do 44/45 as I feel it takes the edge off especially artics behind you it puts 90% of them off a overtake.

Also if your driving a daf it will sit nicely in 12th at 44.

If you see a speed van its a lot easier to knock off the cruise and straight away you’re down to 40, where as at 50 good chance you’ll need to slam on the anchors.

Should be grateful, person doing 44/45 is the type of fella who doesn’t really want to break the law but doesn’t want to cause too much hassle for the folk behind him.

That’s the way I see it anyway.

m1cks:

i reckon your right. works for me :wink:

Unbelievable, We’ll have someone else on tomorrow moaning about people doing 40 in a 40, it’s pathetic, some people have jobs where they ain’t rushed so why should they drive around flat out all day everyday, I’m paid by the hour so obeying the law means more wonga.

Stick to the speed limits ,its not hard ,its your liscence and your job ,its a no brainer really :unamused: :unamused:

merc0447:
I do 44/45 as I feel it takes the edge off especially artics behind you it puts 90% of them off a overtake.

Also if your driving a daf it will sit nicely in 12th at 44.

If you see a speed van its a lot easier to knock off the cruise and straight away you’re down to 40, where as at 50 good chance you’ll need to slam on the anchors.

Should be grateful, person doing 44/45 is the type of fella who doesn’t really want to break the law but doesn’t want to cause too much hassle for the folk behind him.

That’s the way I see it anyway.

Doesn’t really want to break the law■■?

Are you for real? Basically your all saying you don’t care about breaking the speed limit as long as it’s under the 10% over so you don’t get a ticket. Doesn’t want to break the law, don’t make me laugh, like I said I have more respect for someone sat at 40 than at 45, the bloke at 45 is just taking the ■■■■, slowing everyone down because there isn’t a gap big enough for people to get by and don’t even get me started on the ■■■■■ who put their toe down when you pull out to overtake.

selby newcomer:
Unbelievable, We’ll have someone else on tomorrow moaning about people doing 40 in a 40, it’s pathetic, some people have jobs where they ain’t rushed so why should they drive around flat out all day everyday, I’m paid by the hour so obeying the law means more wonga.

Which is why I said why do 45 when the limit is 40.

:unamused:

All our lorrys are tracked and you must stick to the speed limits ,ive worked for cowboys before and had a go with my own lorry ,the way firms are goin now with everything sqeaky clean suits me fine,if i see a lorry steaming past nowadays i just think how lucky i am not to be back in that posistion ,crack on fellas :wink: :wink:

merc0447:

Are you averse to being overtaken? if you’re happy at 44/45, why do you need to hold those who want to go faster? You’re breaking the law at that speed, so why stop the others who are breaking the law a bit more?

I honestly think there is a mentality demonstrated here that is the “ha ha, you are behind me and you aren’t getting past me” way of thinking. I’ve never got it…if I’m on the speed limit then you can go by me as long as you’re safe to do so. If I’m on the limiter then it’s your judgement to overtake me but if it’s a dual carriegway I will dip a wee bit to let you go.

NewLad:
and don’t even get me started on the ■■■■■ who put their toe down when you pull out to overtake.

I do that !!!

Born Idle:
I honestly think there is a mentality demonstrated here that is the “ha ha, you are behind me and you aren’t getting past me” way of thinking. I’ve never got it…if I’m on the speed limit then you can go by me as long as you’re safe to do so. If I’m on the limiter then it’s your judgement to overtake me but if it’s a dual carriegway I will dip a wee bit to let you go.

Thats pretty much my mentality. I’d rather have an agitated driver behind me than pulling in on me. If the driver behind me senses an oportunity to go faster and then i do a split second after i still go for it. mIght be my age and my reactions slowing down :smiley:

You are a cockhead! Let him go by you…20 seconds off the gas and he’s gone and you can go back to reading your newspaper, picking your teeth or whatever else it is that amuses you tiny brained people. You have no divine right to think “I’m in front so ■■■■ you”. In the words of John Rambo “let it go”

The only time I am in a serious rush is to get to a layby for my lunch (midday rush) or a place to kip early as possible, last night for example, the flipping laybys on the A66 where rammed as I was out lateish, so I ended up on an industrial estate…yuk :laughing: :laughing:

Regarding the above I had a unit bobtail overtake me with a fancy paint job or rather try to overtake me on the M62 today, I was overtaking in lane 2 and he was behind me flashing his lights :open_mouth: I moved in after kindly being flashed in by the wagon I was overtaking. Mr bobtail paint job killed himself to get past me, I dropped the CC from 57 to 54 uphill and he just about made it, so on the very long downhill stretch he was lagging a bit as mine will run at 60 with no effort even with CC on :blush: Thing is the guy was/would not ease off, he had the Assassin paint job and the bling…but and old ex tesco tractor unit now a rigid blew his pants off :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yer correct from time to time you need to have fun :laughing: