Fog Lights

Or shall we now rename them RAINLIGHTS.?.?.?

Why is it these idiots put on there rear fog lights at the first sign of rain?

‘Fog Lights’ - correctly known ashigh intensity lights.

They are NOT just for use in fog but for use in poor visibility i.e. rain etc.

Yes, there is a fair amount of mis-use of these lights, I use mine (front & rear) during heavy rain, due to the excessive spray produced by HGV’s but switch them off, as soon as conditions better.

John

They shouldnt be used in Rain as they dazzle drivers behind. Its one of Johnie Walkers pet hates this week.

Im sure the regs state they are to be used in fog and falling snow

Rear Fogs are a bit unnecessary whenever there is a vehicle behind that can see you anyway — ie in a hold-up on the motorway!

Front Fogs — never really found them very useful — unless the headlights can be turned off to reduce the glare back from the mist so the Fogs can “cut under”.

In bad conditions, do rear Fogs induce “follow my leader”?

People running around with one headlight, one tail light, one brake light are one of my pet hates (bikes accepted!)

:slight_smile: To be used when visiblity is less than 100 metres or yards, not very far and if so you would have to go very slow. :slight_smile:

I’d go with Cornish on this one - just get annoyed when the muppets forget to turn them off !!!

Gazzareth:
I’d go with Cornish on this one - just get annoyed when the muppets forget to turn them off !!!

the tossers dont forget to turn them off they leave them on on purpose because they think " IT LOOKS GOOD " :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

this is one of my pet hates and ive posted on here before i hate them. :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

They put them on becouse everyone else is also using them so it must be good thing. Even if you can see normal rear lights almost kilometer in front of you… :unamused:

I’m quite sure that most car drivers have never even thought why they them use or in what conditions those should be used. I think that if you can see car in front of you then driver behind you will see you at same distance and you should be able to determinate when to put rear fog lights on. I think that if you need to use fog lights then visibility is so poor that you can’t drive anywhere near speed limits.

If it’s dark and car in front of me is using rear fog light I suppose that visibility is bad and I put all headlights on. Usually that light in front of me is shut off quite quickly :laughing:

it is 100 metres or less visibility,

but I reckon this bloke has the right idea, especially the bit about cars 5metres behind

smartdriving.co.uk/Driving/D … g/Fog5.htm

Im sure the regs state they are to be used in fog and falling snow

Should only be used when visibility is reduced to 100 yards/metres or less.

Doesnt matter what reduces the visibility, fog, snow, rain, spray etc.

TBH it’s rare that rain actually reduces visibility that much, but the spray generated on motorways can do easily.

But i’d agree there are loads of total divs who leave them on all the time or put them on when they just dont need to. :unamused:

The rule of thumb which I use is if I have difficulty seeing the tail lights of the vehicle in front, then I switch on the rear fogs.

Salut, David.

Spacemonkeypg:
Or shall we now rename them RAINLIGHTS.?.?.?

Why is it these idiots put on there rear fog lights at the first sign of rain?

So you can flash at them . Did you not know it is a game :laughing:

Fog lights are supposed to be used whenever your blue lights have failed i think or is it when you want to look cool?.

The amount of so called “professional” drivers who have them on all the time should be put up againsta wall and shot.

If visibility is reduced to 100 yards I will use the rear fogs, switiching them off once someone is around 20 yards away from the rear of my vehicle, always have and always will.

Front Driving Lamps I will use in conjunction with high beam for that little bit extra lighting on dark stretches of road, but with the Scania they automatcally switch off when on dipped beam anyway.

One bug bear I have though is trucks with all the spots along the roof, they come around a corner and despite you having dipped your lights, they insist on letting you see their truck in all its glory lit up like one big ball of light :angry: :angry: :angry:

By all means use the spots as much as you want, but dip them before you dazzle the oncoming vehicles driver it really [zb] annoying :angry: :angry: :angry:

Front fog lights are a complete waste of time unless it’s er, foggy :bulb: .

The whole idea of them is that they light up the road and road edges better because they are as close to the road as you can get.

People that use front fogs at any other time are just [zb] and are simply craving a PLEASE NOTICE ME badge.

I’d use rear fog lights only when it’s foggy and as per Davey’s post above. I would never use them in rain, regardless of how heavy it is or how bad the surface water spray is.

here’s the science bit.

Fog is fine water droplets suspended in air caused by weather conditions and reduces visibility.
Road spray is fine water droplets suspended in air caused by surface water being thown up from vehicle tyres, which reduces visibility.

‘Spot’ on Rob :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
it is 100 metres or less visibility

that’s correct Malc. i.e. the distance between 2 white marker posts…not very far at all.

but I reckon this bloke has the right idea, especially the bit about cars 5metres behind

smartdriving.co.uk/Driving/D … g/Fog5.htm

That’d be John Farlam’s site then… a very decent guy…& quite good at helping Instructors get better check test grades too :wink:
If any of you have son’s, daughters, other friends/relatives learning to drive, quite a lot of useful stuff on his website.

jammymutt:
The amount of so called “professional” drivers who have them on all the time should be put up against a wall and shot.

Iam with you on this one jammymutt

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

trouble is, when you flash the [zb] to let them know theyve forgotten to turn them off you blind the oncoming traffic :unamused:

Nice try. L. :wink: