Fodens.

coomsey:
Smart nmp

Very smart indeed “coomsey”, Thanks for posting This S36 Foden Tipper, I wonder what engine it had, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

coomsey:
Smart nmp

Very smart indeed “coomsey”, Thanks for posting This S36 Foden Tipper, I wonder what engine it had, Regards Larry.

Would be nice to think it was the Leyland Larry,my mate had one for A R C n rated her. I only drove em with the Gardner in. Cheers Coomsey

FB_IMG_1574713778470.jpg
Chinese 6 lorries look terrible yet twin steer artics look the biz , to my eye. There must be summat up with me !
Nmp

coomsey:
Chinese 6 lorries look terrible yet twin steer artics look the biz , to my eye. There must be summat up with me !
Nmp

Mine too, I remember them running over Shap in the 60s, Kings of the Road in my book, Of course I was driving a MK 5 AEC 8 wheeler another King of the Road too, The good old long gone days :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

coomsey:
Nmp

IIRC those Hemphill twin steers had the 2 stroke engine they used to run up and down the A6 through Kendal when I were a Lad ! Bewick.

Lawrence Dunbar
Seeing the James Hemphill Fodens reminded me of my time at Coastal Roadways in Pyle.
As well as general haulage they ran tankers under the name of Baglan Tpt out of BP at Port Talbot.
After starting on general haulage I got on the tankers and we inherited a couple of Mammoth Minors from James Hemphill and as you can imagine they were well run in.
They would go through injector pipes at a fair rate and also gave problems with crankshaft dampers but otherwise they performed well. Excuse me for drifting from the Foden thread
Regards Allan

FB_IMG_1575395477184.jpg
A first for me ! Nmp

coomsey:
A first for me ! Nmp

Is that a S83 “coomsey”. I have not seen one like that before.The trouble is these days you never know if its a photo shop pic or genuine.

They used to make the S60 model.

DEANB:

coomsey:
A first for me ! Nmp

Is that a S83 “coomsey”. I have not seen one like that before.The trouble is these days you never know if its a photo shop pic or genuine.

Yes Dean an S83, although probably a modification? They made the S60 and S70, both identical to look at but one was made from steel and the other fibreglass as some operators preferred a ‘plastic’ cab as they were lighter and easier to repair.

Pete.

Quite possibly an 8 Wheeler converted for the 1983 38tonne limit, some companies did this as they had plenty tandem flat trailers and didn’t want the immediate expense of buying tri-axles, Owner drivers also found this a way of preparing for the new limit. Foden at the time this T reg S83 was built wouldn’t have done it for then, the S83 was introduced at the 1975 Scottish CV Show at Kelvin Hall. Franky.

By the way the Twin Steer Foden shown in Dean’s 1970 CM page shows the new S80 Fibreglass cabbed model with a reg plate DFA 38T, a quick calculation will tell you that T reg didn’t arrive until Aug 78-July 79, the lettering on the plate stands for Double Front Axle 38 Ton (not tonnes). Foden and possibly other manufacturers jumped the gun building vehicles for the 1970 show for proposed weights and hoped for changes to the regulations which didn’t come about because of several reasons until the 80’s. The twin steer had a Gardner 8LXB 240 and a newly designed 10 Ton double reduction rear axle. They also had a new 8 wheeler designed for 30 Ton GVW (current max was 26) and a double drive tractor for 44 Ton GCW with the steel S60 cab and ■■■■■■■ NT270B (270bhp) engine. In the event Fodens only hope with these was to sell to export customers that ran at the higher weights. Franky.

windrush:

DEANB:

coomsey:
A first for me ! Nmp

Yes Dean an S83, although probably a modification? They made the S60 and S70, both identical to look at but one was made from steel and the other fibreglass as some operators preferred a ‘plastic’ cab as they were lighter and easier to repair.

Pete.

I dont remember seeing a twin steer S83 before Pete,so like you say i would imagine its a conversion. I dont think Foden
built them but will have a look through my archives. :wink:

Frankydobo:
Quite possibly an 8 Wheeler converted for the 1983 38tonne limit, some companies did this as they had plenty tandem flat trailers and didn’t want the immediate expense of buying tri-axles, Owner drivers also found this a way of preparing for the new limit. Foden at the time this T reg S83 was built wouldn’t have done it for then, the S83 was introduced at the 1975 Scottish CV Show at Kelvin Hall. Franky.

Reckon you could be right Franky about it being an 8 wheeler converted. :wink:

Foden. Gloster / Saro design.

foden odd gloster saro design.PNG

DEANB:

coomsey:
A first for me ! Nmp

Suppose it depends when the pic was took Dean. If it’s a chop job,why? If for 38t would the engine cause a prob? Although it looks like a ■■■■■■■ in her.
S60 were like the Crusader a motor that looked like it meant business! Cheers Coomsey

More likely a two-axled tractor unit with a second axle added (a la Sid Harrison’s Scammells) for 38 tons, rather than a cut-down eight legger - the cabs on factory built twin steer S80-83 were mounted further forward than this one.

coomsey:
A first for me ! Nmp

I reckon that “T” reg Foden would have originally a Robsons of Carlisle 4 x 2 unit which would have been one of the last they would have bought prior to Stan selling out to UG. And so a question for all the former and present “Robson” spotters what was the fleet name of this unit when it may have been on the Robson fleet ? Cheers Bewick.

HH is a Carlisle area code, was R Gawthorne a known haulier or an OD from there or was it just the vehicle, the signwriting and paint job suggests an OD which I suspect wouldn’t go to the expense of adding a second steer but possibly a chopped 8 legger as some done in the Northeast, there was even a lot of experimentation by one guy to perfect the Ancrum device of a rear bogie hooking onto a four wheel unit using the fifth wheel to make a six wheel tractor, this was watched with interest as the place he was doing it was opposite Van Hee’s yard where I worked at the time. It didn’t seem to be successful. Franky.

That wasn’t a chopped eight wheeler, the first axle/cab alignment is totally wrong. A standard unit with a centre axle added I reckon.

Pete.

windrush:
That wasn’t a chopped eight wheeler, the first axle/cab alignment is totally wrong. A standard unit with a centre axle added I reckon.

Pete.

But why?n then what engine? Photobucket !!!■■? cheers Coomsey

coomsey:

DEANB:

coomsey:
A first for me ! Nmp

Suppose it depends when the pic was took Dean. If it’s a chop job,why? If for 38t would the engine cause a prob? Although it looks like a ■■■■■■■ in her.
S60 were like the Crusader a motor that looked like it meant business! Cheers Coomsey

F88 meant business,50s Akkys meant business !!■■