Fodens.

You can see the cab/axle set up on the eight wheelers, very different to the tractor units. I’m assuming it had a large ■■■■■■■ engine fitted, they were certainly an option at that time.

Pete.

windrush:

You can see the cab/axle set up on the eight wheelers, very different to the tractor units. I’m assuming it had a large ■■■■■■■ engine fitted, they were certainly an option at that time.

Pete.

I see what you’re saying Pete,so a stretched artic for 38t?
Proper body on that 8whlr mind!!

wellingborough railway station now got to be the place for foden spotting . this lot are going to the water treatment works all the while , 2 running together last wednesday, one’s an 03 and the other’s on an s plate , although i’ve followed an r reg before now. they dont spare them either , they’re still at it at 10pm at night, certainly can tell when they go past my house

tony

FB_IMG_1577559149241.jpg
A gaggle of Leicestershire gals

FB_IMG_1577559719615.jpg
These lads look like they mean business, what spec would they have been ?

These 8 Wheel Dump trucks seem to be the same spec as those supplied to Costain for their work in Dubai during the late 60’s. They had Rolls 220 engines and Alison boxes but other engines, Gardner, ■■■■■■■ and Leyland, were fitted to the other four and six wheel trucks they also ordered around 90 in total, this was a good contract for Foden. They also sold the 8 Wheelers in the UK having originally built them in earlier years for the Steel Company of Wales and Eccles Slag. Costains 8 wheelers were rated for 40 tons. Franky.

This Foden was an export model. D

esigned at 60 tonnes, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar
Hi Larry
Just in from having a few beers and saw the photo of the Foden 8 wheeler export model.
I see it carries a Pembrokeshire registration and wondered if you knew any more about it.
Regards Allan

Frankydobo:
These 8 Wheel Dump trucks seem to be the same spec as those supplied to Costain for their work in Dubai during the late 60’s. They had Rolls 220 engines and Alison boxes but other engines, Gardner, ■■■■■■■ and Leyland, were fitted to the other four and six wheel trucks they also ordered around 90 in total, this was a good contract for Foden. They also sold the 8 Wheelers in the UK having originally built them in earlier years for the Steel Company of Wales and Eccles Slag. Costains 8 wheelers were rated for 40 tons. Franky.

Dogs do dah then Franky ! When I was muskshifting Alison boxes were the biz, don’t recall any failing, these bits of kit went forever. Cheers Coomsey

Mrsteel:
Lawrence Dunbar
Hi Larry
Just in from having a few beers and saw the photo of the Foden 8 wheeler export model.
I see it carries a Pembrokeshire registration and wondered if you knew any more about it.
Regards Allan

Hi Allan, This Foden had a 120 Gardner in when my cousin bought it, He changed if for the 150 6LX, And later he fitted a 220 ■■■■■■■■ It was a good wagon but sadley it could only carry 14.800.Tonnes, It sold to a Teeside firm IIRC They were called Russell Transport and it ended its days working on internal work in the steel works on Teeside. If you scroll through this thread IIRC There is some info of its history, Regards Larry.

Bewick:

coomsey:
A first for me ! Nmp

I reckon that “T” reg Foden would have originally a Robsons of Carlisle 4 x 2 unit which would have been one of the last they would have bought prior to Stan selling out to UG. And so a question for all the former and present “Robson” spotters what was the fleet name of this unit when it may have been on the Robson fleet ? Cheers Bewick.

Hi bewick dont think its an ex robsons unit , back in the day robson had massive swing towards the daf in 79 ,although they did restart bringing the fodens in on s10s, to my knowledge they had no yhh foden, if rhat is this the one your on about ,but then again I like been proved wrong ,regards jonnya

Foden advert from 1977.

DEANB:
Foden advert from 1977.

They presumably also catered for other makes of vehicles as Fodens very rarely breakdown? :confused: :wink:

Pete.

windrush:

DEANB:
Foden advert from 1977.

They presumably also catered for other makes of vehicles as Fodens very rarely breakdown? :confused: :wink:

Pete.

There would be cobwebs on the phone Pete !

coomsey:

windrush:

DEANB:
Foden advert from 1977.

Pete.

:unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I thought you two would like that advert. :wink:

windrush:

Pete.

It’s got a Gardner badge on the front Pete!

David

DEANB:

coomsey:

windrush:

DEANB:
Foden advert from 1977.

Pete.

:unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: I thought you two would like that advert. :wink:

Foden albiondave 33574929091_2aa93c1083ad _o.jpg
Edgar’s toying with ringing the emergency number, but he might just leave it to develop !

Thank you for posting the S 18 Foden 1943 Reg IIRC, Its has a very unsual styled cab if I may say so,Fodens did have some very different styles in those days, Like having the speedo in the middle of the steering wheel On the S18,s Etc, My first Foden as a owner driver was the S 20 with a good old Gardner 6 LX 150 Under the bonnet, Regards Larry.

L0391p.JPG
She’s a fine motor Larry n still got plenty of life in her

coomsey:

DEANB:

Edgar’s toying with ringing the emergency number, but he might just leave it to develop !

That ERF in B.J Waters livery next to Edgar’s Foden was owned by our old club secretary until a couple of years ago. It was ex Knight Brothers of Rowsley when new. Edgar Wain’s Foden is awaiting restoration now, it originally had a DG type cab but Edgar did a few modifications to it over the years! I remember it running around the West Midlands area, I’m surprised that it is worn out already though, maybe he should have bought a Volvo back in 1950 instead? :laughing:

Pete.