Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Buzzer, that beer truck looks like it’s got a spirit in the cab. :laughing:

Star down under.:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Buzzer, that beer truck looks like it’s got a spirit in the cab. :laughing:

It’s actually a Sentinel, not a Foden. Nice truck though.

Pete.

Buzzer

333787962_3314605952138634_1827898482305121707_n.jpg

Buzzer

Buzzer

That Foden would have been my dream machine back in the day, always a ‘dragster’, matched with that Foden and a sleeper to boot it would have been just the ticket. :smiley:

Spardo:
That Foden would have been my dream machine back in the day, always a ‘dragster’, matched with that Foden and a sleeper to boot it would have been just the ticket. :smiley:

Here is another picture of the same Foden David!

5thwheel:

Lovely, thank you. If I have to be picky I would only point to the engine hump as a downside and the signs on the front that this bloke was a ‘noser’ rather than a ‘reverser’. :laughing: But I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe just because it’s there doesn’t mean he uses it. :wink: :smiley:

I banned my blokes at Toray from nosing and there were no airline connections on the front although there was of course a pin coupling. :smiley:

Spardo:

5thwheel:

Lovely, thank you. If I have to be picky I would only point to the engine hump as a downside and the signs on the front that this bloke was a ‘noser’ rather than a ‘reverser’. :laughing: But I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe just because it’s there doesn’t mean he uses it. :wink: :smiley:

I banned my blokes at Toray from nosing and there were no airline connections on the front although there was of course a pin coupling. :smiley:

Maybe that front jaw came in handy for pulling the rig out of holes? If I remember right, I read that it was used on some runs to Asia and the Middle East where even half-decent roads were still a thing of the future.

fodenway:

Spardo:

5thwheel:

Maybe that front jaw came in handy for pulling the rig out of holes? If I remember right, I read that it was used on some runs to Asia and the Middle East where even half-decent roads were still a thing of the future.

Oh yes, that too, always handy for pulling in an emergency though on my road trip with a coach to India back in the late 60s we never had any such need. But for reasons which I can’t remember, we didn’t use Tahir but went south through Adana and then Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq to get to Tehran.

Spardo:

fodenway:

Spardo:

5thwheel:

Oh yes, that too, always handy for pulling in an emergency though on my road trip with a coach to India back in the late 60s we never had any such need. But for reasons which I can’t remember, we didn’t use Tahir but went south through Adana and then Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq to get to Tehran.

Odd tortuous route. You wouldn’t need to go through Lebanon as there was a border between Syria and Jordan at Ramtha. Also, there was a route straight across from Syria to Iraq so you wouldn’t need to go as far south as Jordan. I can only think that odd local circumstances prevailed at the time.

Les

Les Sylphides:
Odd tortuous route. You wouldn’t need to go through Lebanon as there was a border between Syria and Jordan at Ramtha. Also, there was a route straight across from Syria to Iraq so you wouldn’t need to go as far south as Jordan. I can only think that odd local circumstances prevailed at the time.

Les

Yes, I wasn’t the owner/captain you understand but did my share of the driving in the direction I was told to. We drove due south from the Turkish border to Beirut, then east to Damascus, south again into Jordan in order to avoid Israel because an Israeli stamped passport was inadmissable in any Arab states. Then east again to Baghdad and on to Tehran, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Spardo:

Les Sylphides:

Les

Yes, I wasn’t the owner/captain you understand but did my share of the driving in the direction I was told to. We drove due south from the Turkish border to Beirut, then east to Damascus, south again into Jordan in order to avoid Israel because an Israeli stamped passport was inadmissable in any Arab states. Then east again to Baghdad and on to Tehran, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Oh! Nice one! So you must have gone Iskenderun in Turkey then over the mountains down to Latakia on the Syrian coast and down through Tartus and Tripoli to Beirut. That must have been a long time ago. At some time back in the '70s the Lebanese stopped through traffic. You either had to be delivering there, or you’d have to trans-ship the cargo to a Lebanese lorry (which wasn’t going to happen!). Marvellous how quickly the mosaic of trade shifts over the years.

Les

Spardo:

Les Sylphides:

Les

Spardo what were you hauling in those days? Did you make drops and pick ups enroute?

I think you both must have missed something, this

on my road trip with a coach to India back in the late 60s

The cargo was people and, to start with I was part of the cargo but it soon became clear that the owner had never driven a large vehicle before (which later became quite dangerous) and his mate, a lorry driver like me, obviously needed me for success, and survival. So I was taken on as crew at quite an early stage. My ultimate destination was Sydney so I was happy to get a free trip as far as Delhi as wages.

It wasn’t a Foden but a 1956 AEC Regent so already a bit long in the tooth for such an adventure and maybe I should tell all elsewhere. The Trucks, tracks, tall tales and true from all over the world thread perhaps :question: :bulb: :smiley: