Fodens.

Spardo:
maybe I should tell all elsewhere. The Trucks, tracks, tall tales and true from all over the world thread perhaps :question: :bulb: :smiley:

Breath and bated spring to mind. :smiley:

Star down under.:

Spardo:
maybe I should tell all elsewhere. The Trucks, tracks, tall tales and true from all over the world thread perhaps :question: :bulb: :smiley:

J’arrive, bientot, as we say around here, but almost 60 years of dodgy memory has to be plundered first. :wink: :smiley:

Spardo:

Star down under.:

Spardo:

J’arrive, bientot, as we say around here, but almost 60 years of dodgy memory has to be plundered first. :wink: :smiley:

Look forward to that.

Spardo:

Star down under.:

Spardo:

J’attends votre histoire avec impatience. As we don’t say around here. :wink:

Star down under.:

Spardo:

Star down under.:

Spardo:

I thought we were all friends around here, ‘ton’ histoire surely? :frowning:

Sorry, welcome to my world of the French obsession with intimate and non intimate address and then I discover that some, who I would normally address in the familiar and who agree that I should, still say ‘vous’ to me, and it is not because they aren’t my friends but because of my extreme comparative age treat me with the respect that I am due because of it. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

Spardo:

Sorry, welcome to my world of the French obsession with intimate and non intimate address and then I discover that some, who I would normally address in the familiar and who agree that I should, still say ‘vous’ to me, and it is not because they aren’t my friends but because of my extreme comparative age treat me with the respect that I am due because of it. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

That’s got Google translate in a tizzy. :laughing:

Star down under.:

Spardo:

That’s got Google translate in a tizzy. :laughing:

My problem here with all that is because of my early introduction to such things and the fact that I was a lorry driver. All lorry drivers in France consider themselves as a brotherhood and as such use the form of language to each other that otherwise only friends and family would use. Everybody else comes under the more formal, polite if you like, form. Mixing as I was at work on the road with a whole load of people with whom I was on ‘intimate’ terms I got used to using the same thing to everybody else. Nobody took offence though because they know that in English we are all ‘you’ to each other, the equivalent ‘thou’ went out years ago, and thus was excused. If you are bewildered by all that have a thought for me who has had to live with it for 23 years and still makes mistakes now and then. :unamused: :laughing:

Spardo:
That Foden would have been my dream machine back in the day, always a ‘dragster’, matched with that Foden and a sleeper to boot it would have been just the ticket. :smiley:

Heres a bit about that 1972 Herbert Brown Foden. (Click on once to read)

foden herbert brown somet 72.PNG

DEANB:

Spardo:
That Foden would have been my dream machine back in the day, always a ‘dragster’, matched with that Foden and a sleeper to boot it would have been just the ticket. :smiley:

Heres a bit about that 1972 Herbert Brown Foden. (Click on once to read)

Thanks Dean, very interesting, including the date. I was just back from Oz I think and probably driving a Mk 1 Atki for Midland Storage so would have been familier with, and approving of, drawbars but some 15 years or so before ‘inflicting’ them on my friends at Toray. :smiley:

Also quite some time before I got my own S40, but without sleeper, at K & M. A great wagon in my opinion.

Buzzer

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

What was the advantage of twin steer and five axles in 1965?

Essex Pete wrote, What was the advantage of twin steer and five axles in 1965?
Although the weight increase with the 1964 C&U regs had gone up to 32 Ton for Artics many four axle outfits couldn’t manage that gross weight with the then max length 33 ft trailers. It lead to axles being over weight but there was a solution in using a three axle unit to allow the new regulation gross weight. Some manufacturers had produced three axle tractors when they expected the new regulations to allow 38 Ton (not tonnes that came later). However that wasn’t to be, to cut a long story short and simplify it Road Engineers didn’t think our roads at the time could cope with the increase, there was also political intervention. As well as buying new three axle units which back then tended to be 6x2 Chinese Six layouts companies cut down eight wheelers to 6x2. The new regs in 1968 allowed no further weight increase but longer trailers of 40ft (mainly to handle containerisation), this then enabled a 4x2 unit to pull a tandem trailer at 32 Ton gross without overloading axles although axle spacing and other rules came into use which would see the rise of the spread axle tandem trailer. Many Tanker companies stuck with 6x2 units as they found them to be more stable and suited to their operations so they still made sales of new models but in smaller numbers. As we know the move to 38tonne GCW saw the rise of six wheel units again in many different axle layouts and more tri-axle trailers although they did exist back in the 60’s. Today six axle outfits are par for the course on our roads. Franky.

Franky:
Some manufacturers had produced three axle tractors when they expected the new regulations to allow 38 Ton (not tonnes that came later). However that wasn’t to be,

Atkins of Derby in particular were caught out by that I believe.
As you say a lot of it was political and the word ‘juggernaut’ was bandied about to great effect.

Yeah makers too, Foden in particular, they expected to make a killing on 38Ton six wheel tractors and had started designs a couple of years before the expected change. This countries transport was always dogged with legislation that meant the Foreign makes had an advantage and one of the many reasons we lost out. Franky.

Thank you for the explanation. :sunglasses:

Buzzer

youtu.be/qJxwvig7g30

Suedehead:

Really ugly, this one.