Fodens.

Another thought, could it have started as an airport tanker and hence not registered?

Buzzer:
Buzzer

Foden HSU 374.jpg

The link below has a picture of HSU374 showing the recovery gear a bit better. It also has in the embedded picture link the words “foden8-s020a” and is sign written Alan Myerscough Ltd. I can’t make out the phone number.

Companies House shows an Alan Myerscough Ltd registered at The Ellers, Ulverston, ■■■■■■■■ LA12 0AA and a business of Sale of new and used cars and light motor vehicles

Don’t know if that jogs anyones memory.

essexpete:
Another thought, could it have started as an airport tanker and hence not registered?

I think they tended to have a very extended crew-cab:

I wonder if it was re-cabbed then, as I believe the S20 cab didn’t appear until 1954

The S.20 cab replaced the dated S.18 (from 1946) in 1956. I’m a little sceptical of the vehicle dating from 1952, if it did however it would have had the S.18 cab, it could have possibly been re-cabbed when abroad. I still believe it was an 8 wheeler tractor originally and the cab is similar to a S.21 (Mickey Mouse) cabbed 8 wheel tractor I have a photo of that ran in Australia, these being a usual set up out there. As for the engine being a Gardner 6LX this wasn’t available to Foden due to high demand on release until 1959, so again a possible engine change. Neither would it have had a conversion of the ‘Pluto’ fuel tanker cab, these were different and specially built for those vehicles. Only info from someone who owned the vehicle will give the correct details or maybe Valkerie who sometimes seeks out info on various vehicles may find the answer from the sources he uses. Franky.

An explanation of Q code plates a temporary import system. Franky.

Q CODES : TEMPORARY IMPORT SERIES
Q codes are not “area” codes - but codes which show that a vehicle has been temporarily imported. The code contains up to four
serial numbers, the letter Q and then the year letter or, since 2001, number (e.g. 1234QX during ‘X’ registration, or 175Q02 during
‘02’ registration). Prior to 1983, this was reversed, with the letters preceding the serial numbers (e.g. QX1234). This system started
in 1981 with the QX prefix.
Q code prefixes were introduced in 1921, and until 1981 the second letter of the Q code was not a year letter, but a code letter which
identified the licensing authority which issued the mark. QC, QD, QH, QN, QS prefixes were issued by the RAC, QQ and QR were
issued by the Greater London Council and the rest (except QO, QU - QZ) were issued by the AA. QX was the first year letter prefix,
which ran with the X suffix in 1981/2, and QY prefix ran with the Y suffix in 1982/3. The system was then reversed from 1 August
N.B. Not to be confused with the Q “year” prefix which identifies vehicles of unknown age/origin, and use the normal system - e.g.
Q123ABC

Something further which relates to re-registration and likely fits the vehicle in question.
Vehicles first registered 1931 to 1963 - vehicle receives a standard pre-year letter mark of three letters and up to three numbers, from blocks which have previously not
been issued. In this case the area code is meaningless.
This seems to fit HSU as the SU registrations for Kincardineshire stopped at GSU, so HSU would come into the not previously issued bracket and wouldn’t relate to the SU area of Kincardineshire. Franky.

Q-plates were also used for vehicles whose age was known, but had been altered significantly, such as 4x2 to 6x4 conversions and legal cut-and-shut jobs. Which is why you have to get Type Approval for cars qualifying for a Q-plate. Other categories include classified ex-MOD vehs, vehicles with no VIN, cars you’ve imported yourself and kit cars.

Buzzer

Buzzer:
Buzzer

A small heavy weight, I wonder how that stacked up pay load wise and with cost new in that era?

TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . Fodens 69-71 . Thursday,30th June,2022. VALKYRIE
Foden Lorries . Details of some recently posted ones.

Foden R6,W2-Cabbed,Flat-Bodied,R6x4,Lorry,JE 637,Isle Of Ely,1934,Fred Darby & Sons,Sutton,Nr.Ely,Cambridgeshire.TN.OTL.Fodens 69-71,6-2022.Buzzer.3#

Foden S80 04A032G1808,4x2-4,Articulated Car Transporter Lorry,LKX 493P,Dependable Delivery.TN,OTL,Fodens 69-70,6-2022.Buzzer.3#

Foden S18 V-Front FG6/15,Flat-Bodied,R8x2 or R8x4,Lorry,4-Wheeler Drawbar Trailer Outfit,NGX 198,London,1-1953,Ex-BRS.Dovey’s Haulage,Southampton.TN,OTL,Fodens 69-70,6-2022.Buzzer.3#

The next Foden lorry,QV below,is the same model as Danny Dovey’s Foden lorry,QV above…at least it was during the first five years of its life with a S18 Flat-Front or the later
V-Front Cab,with either the same wheelbase or its present short wheelbase and with whatever body it had :slight_smile: Its still an FG6/15 regardless of its modifications and alterations.

The Foden was built in 1952 and bought by a Scottish operator,the lorry was written off in an accident in 1957 and was re-built and converted in to an HRV=Heavy Recovery Vehicle,fitted
with a recovery crane and separate Perkins diesel engine that drove the winch. The Foden was re-engined with a Gardner 6LX 150 Diesel Oil Engine,and fitted with a S20 Crew Cab.
The Foden was registered with an age-related registration in January 1988: HSU 374.
The Foden has had at least four owners:-
The Scottish operator,whose details are unknown - at least to me :slight_smile:
Alan Myerscough Ltd,The Ellers,Ulverston,■■■■■■■■■■■■ 0AA.
C.Jones Transport,Ystradgynlais,Wales.
Ian Davies Construction,Neath Valley Collection,Wales. The Foden’s still current owner? :question:

Foden FG6/15,S20 Crew-Cabbed,Gardner 6LX 150 Diesel-Engined,R8x4,HRV,HSU 374,GENTLE GIANT,1952.Re-built.Ian Davies,Neath Valley Collection.TN,OTL,Fodens 69-70,6-2022.Buzzer.3#

.Foden FG6,15,S20 Crew-Cabbed,Gardner 6LX 150 Diesel-Engined.R8x4,HRV,HSU 374,GENTLE GIANT,1952.Re-built.Ian  Davies,Neath Valley Collection.TN,OTL,Fodens 69-70,6-2022.Buzzer.3.jpg

Foden S20 High Roof KR6/24 or KRTU6/75,8x4-4 Python MkII,Articulated Tanker 12000-Gallon,Aircraft Refueller,Esso.TN.OTL.Fodens 70-71,6-2022.ERF-NGC-European.4#

NOTE: I am not entirely satisfied with the alternative model designations of the above Foden aeroplane refueller - its either one or the other.BUT is it? :question: :confused: :unamused:

The Python MkI’s had Foden S20 High Roof FRTU6/70 6x4 Tractive Units,but the heavier Python MkII’s supposedly had Foden KR6/24 Tractive Units,which were adapted from the
Foden KR6/24 Rigid Eight-Wheeler Lorry model. The gross train weight of these Python MkII’s was 75-Tons! :exclamation: Somebody may have a made mistake with the model designation and
it should actually be KRTU6/75! :exclamation: But even then I am not entirely satisfied: The Python MkI’s had Foden F models,but the Python MkII’s had the lighter K models? :question: ! :exclamation:
It doesn’t make sense,unless Esso was cost-cutting But maybe the actual model designation for the Python MkII was FRTU6/75,and obviously it was a 8x4 tractive unit.

I love motor vehicle model designations,they can reveal a lot of information about motor vehicle models :slight_smile: A case in point:I’ve been studying Foden model designations for years
and years :slight_smile: plus other Foden Lore… :slight_smile:

Foden S21 Spaceship Sputnik KE4/14 Two Stroke,14-Ton GVW,4x2,Tipper Lorry,CN,46500,YYN 261London,4-1960,Ex-Portland Cement Tanker.M.Osborne & Sons,Woodbury,Devon.TN.OTL.Fodens 70-71,6-2022.Buzzer.3#

VALKYRIE

Buzzer Thu.

Buzzer:
Buzzer Thu.

I’ve 'ad 'em all, as they say, except for the half cab, and loved 'em all too. :wink: :smiley:

VALKYRIE:
TruckNetUK . Old Time Lorries . Fodens 69-71 . Thursday,30th June,2022. VALKYRIE
Foden Lorries . Details of some recently posted ones.

Foden R6,W2-Cabbed,Flat-Bodied,R6x4,Lorry,JE 637,Isle Of Ely,1934,Fred Darby & Sons,Sutton,Nr.Ely,Cambridgeshire.TN.OTL.Fodens 69-71,6-2022.Buzzer.3#

Foden S80 04A032G1808,4x2-4,Articulated Car Transporter Lorry,LKX 493P,Dependable Delivery.TN,OTL,Fodens 69-70,6-2022.Buzzer.3#

Foden S18 V-Front FG6/15,Flat-Bodied,R8x2 or R8x4,Lorry,4-Wheeler Drawbar Trailer Outfit,NGX 198,London,1-1953,Ex-BRS.Dovey’s Haulage,Southampton.TN,OTL,Fodens 69-70,6-2022.Buzzer.3#

The next Foden lorry,QV below,is the same model as Danny Dovey’s Foden lorry,QV above…at least it was during the first five years of its life with a S18 Flat-Front or the later
V-Front Cab,with either the same wheelbase or its present short wheelbase and with whatever body it had :slight_smile: Its still an FG6/15 regardless of its modifications and alterations.

The Foden was built in 1952 and bought by a Scottish operator,the lorry was written off in an accident in 1957 and was re-built and converted in to an HRV=Heavy Recovery Vehicle,fitted
with a recovery crane and separate Perkins diesel engine that drove the winch. The Foden was re-engined with a Gardner 6LX 150 Diesel Oil Engine,and fitted with a S20 Crew Cab.
The Foden was registered with an age-related registration in January 1988: HSU 374.
The Foden has had at least four owners:-
The Scottish operator,whose details are unknown - at least to me :slight_smile:
Alan Myerscough Ltd,The Ellers,Ulverston,■■■■■■■■■■■■ 0AA.
C.Jones Transport,Ystradgynlais,Wales.
Ian Davies Construction,Neath Valley Collection,Wales. The Foden’s still current owner? :question:

Foden FG6/15,S20 Crew-Cabbed,Gardner 6LX 150 Diesel-Engined,R8x4,HRV,HSU 374,GENTLE GIANT,1952.Re-built.Ian Davies,Neath Valley Collection.TN,OTL,Fodens 69-70,6-2022.Buzzer.3#

Foden S20 High Roof KR6/24 or KRTU6/75,8x4-4 Python MkII,Articulated Tanker 12000-Gallon,Aircraft Refueller,Esso.TN.OTL.Fodens 70-71,6-2022.ERF-NGC-European.4#

NOTE: I am not entirely satisfied with the alternative model designations of the above Foden aeroplane refueller - its either one or the other.BUT is it? :question: :confused: :unamused:

The Python MkI’s had Foden S20 High Roof FRTU6/70 6x4 Tractive Units,but the heavier Python MkII’s supposedly had Foden KR6/24 Tractive Units,which were adapted from the
Foden KR6/24 Rigid Eight-Wheeler Lorry model. The gross train weight of these Python MkII’s was 75-Tons! :exclamation: Somebody may have a made mistake with the model designation and
it should actually be KRTU6/75! :exclamation: But even then I am not entirely satisfied: The Python MkI’s had Foden F models,but the Python MkII’s had the lighter K models? :question: ! :exclamation:
It doesn’t make sense,unless Esso was cost-cutting But maybe the actual model designation for the Python MkII was FRTU6/75,and obviously it was a 8x4 tractive unit.

I love motor vehicle model designations,they can reveal a lot of information about motor vehicle models :slight_smile: A case in point:I’ve been studying Foden model designations for years
and years :slight_smile: plus other Foden Lore… :slight_smile:

Foden S21 Spaceship Sputnik KE4/14 Two Stroke,14-Ton GVW,4x2,Tipper Lorry,CN,46500,YYN 261London,4-1960,Ex-Portland Cement Tanker.M.Osborne & Sons,Woodbury,Devon.TN.OTL.Fodens 70-71,6-2022.Buzzer.3#

VALKYRIE

Great detective work as usual! :sunglasses:

:smiley:

One local to me, Buzzer

Buzzer Fri.

290715069_10158614178690740_96298141785148027_n.jpg

290736838_1163104080931095_2909782633097096308_n (2).jpg

150307 007.jpg

Star down under.:

What a great vehicle! I wonder how much work and how many miles have been done by this old Foden? I would love it just as it is.

Buzzer:
Buzzer Thu.

Hello …Harley Lewis from Crosswell Pembs …had 2 of those metal cabbed Fodens …Geraint

Buzzer:
Buzzer Fri.

Fleetmaster (4th pic )is a complete nut and bolt restoration . I’ve watched it over the years , across the road from my son . The guy has a utube channel Cabac and is now rebuilding an s80in his garage .

rigsby:

Buzzer:
Buzzer Fri.

Fleetmaster (4th pic )is a complete nut and bolt restoration . I’ve watched it over the years , across the road from my son . The guy has a utube channel Cabac and is now rebuilding an s80in his garage .

Is that Steve Mayle? (sp)