Fodens.

Buzzer

Buzzer

Buzzer

289020117_2479105098897072_3736318317420592743_n.png

Buzzer

Take your pick! NMP off FB

This Foden was Lewis,s from new, Larry.

This was at Bloxham Steam & Country Fair today (25th June), and it looks to be for sale (not my vehicle)

Reg CYX487V . Chassis plate shows Vehicle Type 06E 024 R27 08 and Engine Type RR265

The fair is also on tomorrow 26th June so might still be there:

Buzzer:
Buzzer
Foden HSU 374.jpg

Interesting truck there! Could any of you tell me more about its specifications (model, year, engine fitted), and use? Perharps fun fair or oil drilling? Thanks.

Buzzer

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Buzzer0

Interesting truck there! Could any of you tell me more about its specifications (model, year, engine fitted), and use? Perharps fun fair or oil drilling? Thanks.

Its a 1963 Reg. From Kincardine Scotland. Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Buzzer0

Its a 1963 Reg. From Kincardine Scotland. Larry.

I forgot to say Its a S 20 Model , It could be a two stoke or Gardner powered.

Froggy 55 wrote: Interesting truck there! Could any of you tell me more about its specifications (model, year, engine fitted), and use? Perhaps fun fair or oil drilling? Thanks.
It is likely this Foden 8 wheeler was an ex Australian export that was either brought back to the UK or was bought by a UK company. Foden’s UK market heavies usually had 6x4 layout and those exported were 8 wheel tractors befitting to the type of work they would carry out. Although it has an SU Kincardineshire reg no this seems to not have been the original as HSU would have put the registration period at around 1972 and clearly this Foden is a late 50’s model. SU on its own ran from Jan 1904 until August 1961 when ASU would then have begun and so on through the Alphabet. Therefore due to the re-registration it is likely an ex export tractor then converted to a mobile crane/wrecker. It may also possibly have had the Foden MkIII FD6 Two Stroke at 150bhp introduced at the time of this model, as there is no large external radiator as fitted to Gardner 8LW 150bhp engined models, also fitted to these units. However ■■■■■■■ was very much favoured in export models with 180 and 212 bhp straight 6 engines, by this time there were well established service facilities in these countries for ■■■■■■■ engines and these became a prominent spec in overseas sales. The model number is difficult to say for certain as the engine and gross weight would need to be known to give the correct designation always a problem with Foden’s and why many just refer to them by the cab fitted in this case the S.20 standard ash frame and aluminium panel type. Franky.

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Buzzer0

Vehicle search gives 1952 manufacture and 1st reg in 1988.
Engine is given as 10450cc which would make it a Gardner 6LX or LXB?
So would that be a retro fit?

essexpete:

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Buzzer0

I wonder if it was re-cabbed then, as I believe the S20 cab didn’t appear until 1954.

ERF-NGC-European:

essexpete:

Froggy55:

Buzzer:
Buzzer0

I wonder if it was re-cabbed then, as I believe the S20 cab didn’t appear until 1954.

A real oddity. Still Mot ed but now red apparently.

Thanks to all of for your researches! It would indeed have its place in some “Oddity gallery”. Looks built of bits and pieces but nevertheless a very interesting truck.

I thought that, from 1963 up to the present system, all British registrations had a single letter at the end (and then beginning) sending back to the year. Would an imported second-hand vehicle have had a registration refering to its year of import or manufacturing? Thanks.

Buzzer

Froggy55:
Thanks to all of for your researches! It would indeed have its place in some “Oddity gallery”. Looks built of bits and pieces but nevertheless a very interesting truck.

I thought that, from 1963 up to the present system, all British registrations had a single letter at the end (and then beginning) sending back to the year. Would an imported second-hand vehicle have had a registration refering to its year of import or manufacturing? Thanks.

There was a long period of time - certainly in the '70s and '80s - when imported vehicles of uncertain vintage would be awarded a Q-prefix plate. Q-plates were also used for rebuilds, cut-and-shuts, re-construction & use jobs and anything that didn’t fit! However, I can’t remember when Q-plates started.

newerf606.jpg

Looks the biz:

Froggy55:

I would guess that, after a certain date when Q plates seemed to have disappeared, the reg allocated might be age related with sufficient documentation. That does happen in the tractor world, but apparently a bit of a faff.
My guess, I love a bit of supposition, is the truck was exported to a righthand drive country as a rigid. Involved in some kind of accident and recabbed. At some point re engined as well. Imported back to UK and given an age related plate. :smiley: