Fodens.

essexpete:

rigsby:

Buzzer:
Buzzer Fri.

Fleetmaster (4th pic )is a complete nut and bolt restoration . I’ve watched it over the years , across the road from my son . The guy has a utube channel Cabac and is now rebuilding an s80in his garage .

Is that Steve Mayle? (sp)

It’s Shaun smith , damned good mechanic his attention to detail is very thorough .

Sunday Buzzer

Some interesting Foden photos. Looks like new Thwaites dumpers and what is the very stylish coach built cab?

Buzzer Mon 04

essexpete:
Some interesting Foden photos. Looks like new Thwaites dumpers and what is the very stylish coach built cab?

That’s a Foden FE, they were fitted with the four cylinder two stroke engine with eight speed gearbox with an electric shift between ranges.

Pete.

Star down under.:

I tried to unearth some history on this, all I could find out was that it turned up at a clearing sale, but I got a couple of different views.

150307 010.jpg

150307 006.jpg

Star down under.:

Star down under.:

I tried to unearth some history on this, all I could find out was that it turned up at a clearing sale, but I got a couple of different views.

At least it’s got all its wheels, unlike the (Dodge?) in the background. Wonder if the engine is still there. :confused:
Edit: Part of it is at least I think. :slight_smile:

Spardo:

Star down under.:

Star down under.:

At least it’s got all its wheels, unlike the (Dodge?) in the background. Wonder if the engine is still there. :confused:
Edit: Part of it is at least I think. :slight_smile:

But someone’s flogged th signal hand from the driver’s door.

Buzzer Thu

windrush:

essexpete:

That’s a Foden FE, they were fitted with the four cylinder two stroke engine with eight speed gearbox with an electric shift between ranges.

Pete.

Thanks Pete, would that be a completely different box to the 12 sp and derivatives?

Thanks Pete, would that be a completely different box to the 12 sp and derivatives?

Not really the 12 Speed was only a four speed Constant Mesh box with an Epicyclic unit on the back end to give overdrive, direct or low ranges, albeit with a separate lever. The FE 4/8 was designed by Harold Nancollis who had been appointed Chief Designer following several internal position moves, he had to design a vehicle that would give an 8 Ton payload but not exceed the 12 Ton gross max allowed then and the cab would be required for three crew, as this was what was needed for Brewery deliveries in the days of heavier wooden barrels. The 4 cylinder 2 Stroke was the obvious choice for power at 84bhp with a four, five or eight ratio gearbox choice, only the eight speed had the electrical shift mechanism. The rear axle being an 8 Ton Kirkstall and same make as the front at 4 Ton. For cost effectiveness all electrical parts were from CAV as the fuel system also. The FE 4/8 was introduced at the 1952 Earls Court Show and proved a good seller for Foden. The cab was also a Foden design and build despite it looking like an external Coachbuilt job. Franky.

Geordielad:

Not really the 12 Speed was only a four speed Constant Mesh box with an Epicyclic unit on the back end to give overdrive, direct or low ranges, albeit with a separate lever. The FE 4/8 was designed by Harold Nancollis who had been appointed Chief Designer following several internal position moves, he had to design a vehicle that would give an 8 Ton payload but not exceed the 12 Ton gross max allowed then and the cab would be required for three crew, as this was what was needed for Brewery deliveries in the days of heavier wooden barrels. The 4 cylinder 2 Stroke was the obvious choice for power at 84bhp with a four, five or eight ratio gearbox choice, only the eight speed had the electrical shift mechanism. The rear axle being an 8 Ton Kirkstall and same make as the front at 4 Ton. For cost effectiveness all electrical parts were from CAV as the fuel system also. The FE 4/8 was introduced at the 1952 Earls Court Show and proved a good seller for Foden. The cab was also a Foden design and build despite it looking like an external Coachbuilt job. Franky.

Nice piece of history there. That was a light chassis. When did the weights go to 16ton gross for 4 wheelers?

Essexpete wrote;
Nice piece of history there. That was a light chassis. When did the weights go to 16ton gross for 4 wheelers?

Well the weight changed to 14 Ton gross in 1955 and the 16 Ton Gross didn’t come in until 1964, the 1964 Regulations saw the biggest changes for quite sometime and this year of change is often quoted as the regulations that changed Road Transport in the UK as it really boosted the use and sales of Artics and saw the demise of the 8 wheeler as the leading vehicle layout on our roads which it had held for many years. 1988 saw the change to 17 tonnes and 1999 to 18 tonnes. I haven’t got a clue if the gross weight for a four wheeler has gone up since then my transport days ended around then. Franky.

8 ton payload for a gross weight of 12 tons is certainly a great achievement!

Spotted today at the Kent County Show

Bet his hand never left the gearstick :smiley: NMP off FB

Gardner 8LW 150bhp, 12 speed epicyclic box and double drive rear axles, wouldn’t have been quick but no doubt handled the job with a good driver in the seat. Franky.

Geordielad:
Gardner 8LW 150bhp, 12 speed epicyclic box and double drive rear axles, wouldn’t have been quick but no doubt handled the job with a good driver in the seat. Franky.

I can’t quite see, even with a glass, if that quoted average(?) speed is 10 or 18mph, but either way I suspect he won’t be too troubled by gears unless he faces multiple ‘jump-ups’ or river crossings (through not over :wink: ). :smiley:

A real flyer, David, 18 mph it says, that’s almost 30kph. Bloody tear arses, they’ll blow the fleece off the wooly jumpers. :laughing:

Buzzer Sat