Fleet insurance does it allow third party cover on other veh

Fully comprehensive fleet insurance is for all the registered fleet vehicles

1. Can I request a copy of their insurance without setting of alarm bells?

2. While I’m on shift does fleet insurance allow me too drive another drivers car with third party cover only?

3. And yes, I’m looking at 6 points and a £300 fine.

Please advise
Kind regards
P

Penny:

2. While I’m on shift does fleet insurance allow me too drive another drivers car with third party cover only?

Please advise
Kind regards
P

If 1. and 2. mean that you are going to try and use someone else’s insurance certificate without their permission 3. might be an underestimate. Plod have a habit sometimes of checking with the policyholder / insurers if the certificate would cover a particular vehicle I am afraid. :frowning:

Of course I might have misunderstood you :slight_smile:

The insurance covers registered fleet vehicles. The car isn’t a fleet vehicle?

Confused.
Two drivers are employed by the same company?
One drives the other’s private car?
Does the company insurance cover this??
Is that it?

Our fleet insurance covers any vehicle in control of the company, whether, owned, hired loaned, stolen, (well probably not that one) we do have to put our regular vehicles on the Motor Insurance Database, so they show up as insured during roadside checks.

However this is an Own Account Operation, so might be different for haulage fleets.

But I’m not sure what happened in your case, if it was at the request of the company, E.G. Would you take a drivers car to somewhere then they should take some responsibility, if you just ■■■■■■ up, then I think you could be digging yourself a deeper hole by trying to get some sort of retrospective evidence of insurance.

Few years back had bad accident,working away,when I was out of hospital,firm put my van on their insurance for a day,so another employee could drive it n me home,arm was in a cast after almost being cut off
If your bothered about causing alarm bells?
Then it’s probs wrong n you already know it?

1. Yes, of course you can (and yes, it probably will)

2. Almost certainly not. The “driving other vehicles” on a 3rd party cover only basis has to be included in the terms of a specific-vehicle policy (i.e. the sort of policy a private individual would take out on his own car). Many consumer type policies include this, but many do not. Fleet insurance policies normally cover only vehicles owned by or hired/leased/lent to the policyholder for use in the course of their business. Was the other bloke’s car owned by the company, or hired/leased/lent to them for use in the course of their business…? There’s your answer.

3rd party is provided by your car insurance, but the car must have a full insurance on it usually the cars owner for private vehicles. Some insurances now don’t include it and many have clauses that it’s for emergency use only. Business use won’t be included.

1 - you could but they’d want to know why if they have any sense to prevent insurance fraud.

I would only ask if they had full knowledge of this, else it’ll come back to them either from police or part of a claim. There is a risk that their insurance could classify it as attempted insurance fraud if company didn’t know.

2 - Fleet usually only covers cars which are registered with the insurance normally only those owned / hired by the company.

Fleet can include private cars as fully comp if declared as business use, but would need to be included for specific use type. Needs to be logged with insurance however.

For example, I know someone who works for a school but uses her car to pickup kids in a morning from villages. She insures for normal use, school have specific business insurance registered for her car to cover pickups.

3 - If you drive someones car without insurance then its those, but also an IN10 on your licence which could easily double car insurance and block use on many company vehicles.

Also the owner of said car could get a IN12 (?) I think is the code for allowing the use of a vehicle without insurance. I doubt they would unless you went to court.

Just don’t go to court or they could ban you.

Penny:

Only if it is the company’s vehicle and one which is registered on their fleet insurance or covered under the “temporary hire vehicle” part of the policy. If it is a private individuals car, even if it is an employee then no unless the employer specifically covers personal vehicles when being used for company work.

1. And yes, I’m looking at 6 points and a £300 fine.

Most likely you are if it wasn’t a company vehicle and your own personal insurance doesn’t cover you for driving other vehicles.

Conor:

Penny:

Only if it is the company’s vehicle and one which is registered on their fleet insurance or covered under the “temporary hire vehicle” part of the policy. If it is a private individuals car, even if it is an employee then no unless the employer specifically covers personal vehicles when being used for company work.

1. And yes, I’m looking at 6 points and a £300 fine.

Most likely you are if it wasn’t a company vehicle and your own personal insurance doesn’t cover you for driving other vehicles.

No, it’s much less restrictive and broader than that as standard. Typically any person driving any vehicle on the instruction of the policyholder. The restriction will usually exclude only employees travelling to and from home to work but still have blanket coverage for any other scenario like ferrying another employee to another depot running out to pick some parts up or something. It doesn’t even have to be work it will cover jollies and private use if employees take works vans home and the like.

Provided the policyholder themselves is prepared to say the person was driving with their knowledge the police will just have to ■■■■ it up and won’t like it and will probably try to make trouble with the insurance company. As with all things though money talks so if they’re a big customer chances are they won’t entertain the police.

Penny:

Please advise
Kind regards
P

The main stumbling block will be that you’ve got to come up with a reason for not mentioning you thought there was cover when you were pulled and written up for no insurance.

Depending how willing your employer is to collude and do you a solid they can always use the classic trick the Queen did in the Paul Burrell case of suddenly recalling you did mention something to them about driving another driver’s car but as you’re asking about obtaining a copy of the insurance policy without alerting them I’m guessing they’re unlikely to proactively assist you.

So, the OP knows or is pretty sure they have no insurance to drive their mate’s vehicle, so seems to seeking to get hold of a copy of the company insurance certificate. Perhaps even to use and show to someone if stopped or has an accident.
There’s broadly 3 outcomes

1. Nothing goes wrong, no need to prove insurance and no ne is the wiser
  2. Small incident, no police, you exchange insurance details. Eventually the company find out. They tell police and you get fired with immediate effect for gross misconduct
    Police investigate. You’ve lied to your mate, planned the false document that are seen as aggravating factors. Now start looking at no insurance, fraud and higher penalties with disq option.
  3. Incident or police stop and you produce the certificate trying to front it out. Alas, they call the company as your account just doesn’t stand up to questions. As above, only this time the car is also seized. Your mate pretty much has to say you showed the certificate - keeps them out of being prosecuted. So beside the other outcomes at No2, your likely to lose your friendship.
    Many who have been victims of uninsured drivers see them as the lowlife of society.
    I can’t umagbe the lowlife of society being on this forum, So, on a lighter note, I wonder why the OP is asking the 1st question?

Own Account Driver:
No, it’s much less restrictive and broader than that as standard. Typically any person driving any vehicle on the instruction of the policyholder.

That would be a very unusual (and expensive!) fleet policy - in effect exposing the insurer to simultaneously insuring almost unlimited numbers of vehicles and drivers.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Fleet insurance, covers vehicles, owned, hired, leased to the company, these all have to be notified to the insurance company, to be put on the policy.

If it’s not registered with the insurance company it’s not covered.

I wonder why the o.p. has not acknowledged the replies so far…

The scenario is as follows. Driver A runs out of time 20 minutes from the yard. He is not prepared to bent the rules to get back. Office decides to sent driver A’s car to him, driven by another driver (the o.p.), to allow Driver A to go home, and the truck to get back to base.

The o.p. had a set of keys. That means that driver A left his keys at base, with the implied consent for somebody else to drive it. He is potentially liable for allowing an uninsured driver to drive his car. Hello your honour…

The o.p. has a set of keys, but driver A left them at base only for the possible need to move the car in the yard ( small yard, limited space I’ve know this to happen.). That means that the o.p. took the car without consent. Add vehicle theft to the rap sheet.

The o.p. needs to speak to a lawyer. Pronto. The company insurance is the least of your worries. As in there is no chance that any company insurance would cover that.

If I was driver A, I’d throw the o.p. under the bus, otherwise his car insurance might start asking awkward questions…

biggriffin:
Fleet insurance, covers vehicles, owned, hired, leased to the company, these all have to be notified to the insurance company, to be put on the policy.

If it’s not registered with the insurance company it’s not covered.

Quite - I wonder if Own Account Driver has read the wording on the insurance certificate (which very likely does say “any vehicle”) and taken it at face value. The reason they use those words is so they don’t have to issue a fresh certificate every time a different vehicle is hired in. The detail will be in the policy wording which must be read in conjunction with the certificate.

Roymondo:

Own Account Driver:
No, it’s much less restrictive and broader than that as standard. Typically any person driving any vehicle on the instruction of the policyholder.

That would be a very unusual (and expensive!) fleet policy - in effect exposing the insurer to simultaneously insuring almost unlimited numbers of vehicles and drivers.

Agreed. In 28 years our fleet insurance was as Conor outlined. We could put another vehicle including drivers own cars on our insurance, but needed to advise the Insurer of reg, make, start and end date.

The only way we are covered on a private vehicle through the company insurance is when we are driving the bosses cars. But these are all registered to the company and therefore covered that way.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Own Account Driver:

It is what is on our fleet policy, any vehicle in control of the insured, is basically the wording, the insured being directors and employees, (only restriction is for personal use you have to be over 25, but if we had an 18 year old with an HGV licence they would be insured to drive the trucks)
However as I said before we are an Own Account company not a haulage company.

Franglais:
Confused.
Two drivers are employed by the same company?
One drives the other’s private car?
Does the company insurance cover this??
Is that it?

:open_mouth: