Fleet insurance does it allow third party cover on other veh

biggriffin:
Fleet insurance, covers vehicles, owned, hired, leased to the company, these all have to be notified to the insurance company, to be put on the policy.

If it’s not registered with the insurance company it’s not covered.

^ It isn’t rocket science.Can I drive my own private car on my employer’s insurance no.Can I drive someone else’s own private car on my employer’s insurance…no.

muckles:

Roymondo:

Own Account Driver:
No, it’s much less restrictive and broader than that as standard. Typically any person driving any vehicle on the instruction of the policyholder.

That would be a very unusual (and expensive!) fleet policy - in effect exposing the insurer to simultaneously insuring almost unlimited numbers of vehicles and drivers.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

It is what is on our fleet policy, any vehicle in control of the insured, is basically the wording, the insured being directors and employees, (only restriction is for personal use you have to be over 25, but if we had an 18 year old with an HGV licence they would be insured to drive the trucks)
However as I said before we are an Own Account company not a haulage company.

I don’t think it means what you think it does! “The insured” means the body corporate which is party to the insurance contract - it doesn’t mean all the directors and employees. Vehicles “in the control of the insured” means vehicles owned, hired or lent to the company - it doesn’t mean any vehicle their drivers want to use.

Roymondo:

muckles:

Roymondo:

Own Account Driver:
No, it’s much less restrictive and broader than that as standard. Typically any person driving any vehicle on the instruction of the policyholder.

That would be a very unusual (and expensive!) fleet policy - in effect exposing the insurer to simultaneously insuring almost unlimited numbers of vehicles and drivers.

It is what is on our fleet policy, any vehicle in control of the insured, is basically the wording, the insured being directors and employees, (only restriction is for personal use you have to be over 25, but if we had an 18 year old with an HGV licence they would be insured to drive the trucks)

I don’t think it means what you think it does! “The insured” means the body corporate which is party to the insurance contract - it doesn’t mean all the directors and employees. Vehicles “in the control of the insured” means vehicles owned, hired or lent to the company - it doesn’t mean any vehicle their drivers want to use.

The policyholder is the company, the insured are the directors and anybody employed by the company (in the case of our policy) and in the case of some of the companies I’ve worked also the spouses of the Directors.

No I agree is doesn’t mean any vehicle the drivers wants to use, it has to be in course of the companies business. I can’t “forget” to insure my car and claim it’s on company insurance for commuting to work. (Although we do have a Social, Domestic and pleasure use clause in our company policy, that does only cover our companies vehicle that wouldn’t include employees own cars)

However the I was replying to the statement that said only vehicles registered to the company are insured on a companies insurance, not actually what the OP asked, in the OP’s case it has not been made clear why they were driving another drivers car during their working hours, I’ve never had to deal with a business case for that to happen, but in that situation I would clear it with our insurance company first, normally a quick call followed up be an email.

However as I’ve said twice, I don’t work for a haulage company, so the policies are tailored to our business needs.

muckles:
in the OP’s case it has not been made clear why they were driving another drivers car during their working hours

Yep. “Penny”? has not come back to expand on the circumstances. But, if he/she has got enough info from the thread, then no further need I s`pose.

Franglais:

muckles:
in the OP’s case it has not been made clear why they were driving another drivers car during their working hours

Yep. “Penny”? has not come back to expand on the circumstances. But, if he/she has got enough info from the thread, then no further need I s`pose.

Like I said a few posts above, this looks like a classic case of a driver having run out of time, and the yard sending another driver out to get the truck back, but normally a company van is used. In this case, the relief driver, took the stranded driver’s own vehicle, with the obvious insurance implications.
And the other legal issues like allowing an uninsured driver to use your vehicle, twoc, etc on top.

Franglais:

muckles:

Picture the scene.Other driver has a super turbo screamer nutter zb Ricer Jap heap and says to other driver you should try it round the streets during lunch break at the yard or after work.As they do being Jap car enthusiasts how difficult can the insurance issue be.No need to say wait until tomorrow while I find out if my own insurance policy allows me to drive another car third Party with the owner’s permission.Even then forgetting all about the issue of who pays for the possible uninsured loss of a 20 grand motor.Assuming he even has an insurance policy of his own.No problem I can drive it on the employers’ vehicle insurance.That’s when he saw the blue lights in the mirror. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Roymondo:

muckles:

Roymondo:

Own Account Driver:

No, I think you, like a few others, don’t realise the difference between business and motor insurance that have a a fleet of vehicles on them and proper ‘fleet’ insurance.

It is any vehicle and, not exclusive to use in the course of business, it also includes vehicles the policyholder has no permission to use as an example say someone has blocked access with their vehicle. Provided they’re acting under the authority, of someone in the company in a position to give it, it is almost impossible for the company to find itself in the position of not being insured.

As I say if someone at a company with proper fleet insurance is prepared/daft enough to go on record and say they recall the OP mentioning would it be ok to extend cover to take another drivers car somewhere, even if it is unrelated to the course of business, then they would be covered.

Another extreme example would be if a director went to a car auction and bought two Porsches, that they weren’t expecting to, they could just find some random and say ‘drive this home for me’ and again they would be covered. The Police always struggle with this level of cover as, like most people, they’re so used to motor insurance being so restrictive, and withdrawing cover for stuff like tiny performance mods etc., that they can’t get their head round that at another end of the scale insurance companies can be so seemingly laid back.

In reality it’s self-policing in any case as any business or organisation that has such extensive cover doesn’t abuse it in the way the OP seems to be hoping they might be able to. Motor Trader’s policies have, in fact, become much more restrictive in recent years due to abuse but they will tend to be small dicky dealer types where fleet policies won’t be available to smaller businesses.

I would back up the above post by Own account Driver, there are many variations in how Fleet Insurance is set up and this is an extract from a letter we had from our insurers (until we changed in September anyway) :-

“Please be aware that TEMPORARY vehicles do NOT need to be notified to us if only in your custody for 14 days or less.”

This was on a fleet policy from NFU that covered our own account and external haulage work. I would post the whole letter but I need to scan it and edit out my details etc. The letter is probably a year old but was certainly issued after the so called continuous insurance laws were introduced.
When I questioned them about it they basically said that the “image” the police and dvla like to project of not on database, therefore illegal is not actually how the law is written. So no surprises there :unamused:
We did not use the facility hardly at all so it was no real loss when we changed to a cheaper provider.

manski:
I would back up the above post by Own account Driver, there are many variations in how Fleet Insurance is set up and this is an extract from a letter we had from our insurers (until we changed in September anyway) :-

“Please be aware that TEMPORARY vehicles do NOT need to be notified to us if only in your custody for 14 days or less.”

This was on a fleet policy from NFU that covered our own account and external haulage work. I would post the whole letter but I need to scan it and edit out my details etc. The letter is probably a year old but was certainly issued after the so called continuous insurance laws were introduced.
When I questioned them about it they basically said that the “image” the police and dvla like to project of not on database, therefore illegal is not actually how the law is written. So no surprises there :unamused:
We did not use the facility hardly at all so it was no real loss when we changed to a cheaper provider.

Temporary ‘company’ issued and authorised vehicles not your or a mate’s own private motor. :open_mouth: :confused:

Carryfast:

manski:

Temporary ‘company’ issued and authorised vehicles not your or a mate’s own private motor. :open_mouth: :confused:

I would be grateful if you could spare me a minute Carryfast and explain how you have drawn the conclusion you have from that quote of mine. TIA.

Carryfast:

manski:

No distinction is likely made. If the scenario is one driver taking another drivers private car out to them because they have run out of hours is exactly the type of scenario proper fleet insurance would cover.

The insurers don’t give a crap that there’s a risk of some 18 year old wrapping another drivers hot hatch round a tree as what they’ll pay out for that is chicken feed compared to what they’ll be paying out for the inevitable couple of bridge strikes a year on a big fleet.

Own Account Driver:
If the scenario is one driver taking another drivers private car out to them because they have run out of hours is exactly the type of scenario proper fleet insurance would cover.

The insurers don’t give a crap that there’s a risk of some 18 year old wrapping another drivers hot hatch round a tree as what they’ll pay out for that is chicken feed compared to what they’ll be paying out for the inevitable couple of bridge strikes a year on a big fleet.

A rare grey area in that case.So the OP really just needed to confirm that he was driving someone else’s private car on the orders of his employer.Mystery solved.

Carryfast:

Own Account Driver:
If the scenario is one driver taking another drivers private car out to them because they have run out of hours is exactly the type of scenario proper fleet insurance would cover.

A rare grey area in that case.So the OP really just needed to confirm that he was driving someone else’s private car on the orders of his employer.Mystery solved.

Absolutely, as far as I can see the OP hasn’t made any update. No comment about why the subtle want to ask for the Ins Cert. that doesn’t suggest it is going to be with the employers consent / awareness or even for business purposes!

When I managed a fleet, our insurance said something like “any vehicle owned or operated by the policyholder and being driven by an authorised driver.”

We sold and acquired vehicles all the time, and I sent the insurers a monthly list to keep them up to date. Once you get past “small fleet” there is a lot of trust in insurance. The broker told me that if you wanted to insure something really expensive like a bridge or a jumbo jet, it could be done with one phone call.

The policy did not cover my wife’s car, or any other random vehicle unless I was prepared to say that it was (temporarily at least) part of the fleet. That covered hired vehicles and might have covered someone using a random private car, but I would have to be convinced and prepared to risk my reputation and good standing on it.

We didn’t give drivers copies of the insurance cert without a good reason, and that would be recorded.