"Fixed" speed cameras in France

Just a little warning for those of you that use “single” carriageway Nationals/Departmentals here in France.
You’ve all seen the grey boxes on the side of the roads, that take photos of speeding vehicles as they go “past” them (normal speed limit of 90kph unless otherwise notified of a reduction), well a lot of them have been adjusted to “ALSO” take pictures of speeding vehicles coming “towards” them. So if you regularly use certain roads be warned that the cameras on the “opposite” side of the road can also flash you as you approach them, you may have noticed that they have now put up the large camera warning signs before you get to it too.
Stay safe everybody

To help clear up what Pierrot means by

unless otherwise notified of a reduction

The limit for cameras on Nationale and Departmentale roads is:

80 kmh route prioritaire

70 Non prioritaire if ABS installed and functioning (ADR)

60 ABS not functioning (White light out)

50 in town or village unless posted with a lower limit…

For those starting to run in France, the route prioritaire (Priority Road) is marked with a vertical yellow diamond, yes you will be overtaken by many trucks doing 90, but I thought I should point out the legal limit for those inclined :unamused:

TooTall:
To help clear up what Pierrot means by

unless otherwise notified of a reduction

The limit for cameras on Nationale and Departmentale roads is:
80 kmh route prioritaire
70 Non prioritaire if ABS installed and functioning (ADR)
60 ABS not functioning (White light out)
50 in town or village unless posted with a lower limit…
For those starting to run in France, the route prioritaire (Priority Road) is marked with a vertical yellow diamond, yes you will be overtaken by many trucks doing 90, but I thought I should point out the legal limit for those inclined :unamused:

Nothing to clear up on what I posted…

What I stated was that on Nats/Deps, outside of built up areas, the usual speed is 90. , unless otherwise notified before the camera… being… that you may be entering a restricted speed area which will be notified before the speed camera… i.e a dangerous bend, blind hill, rural village, where the limit will be reduced to 70kph or 50 kph, where the camera will be callibrated to the speed of that position where it has been placed.

The limit for cameras is NOT 80kph and I can’t see how a speed camera will be able to differentiate on wether you are ADR, if your ABS is working or anything else that you have just posted.

Pierrot…

I’m sorry if you took this as a personal attack or challenge. It wasn’t meant that way!
It was just general info…
What we do commonly as drivers is not always the same as the actual regulation.

Here are the limits from the Code de la route (PL)
Make of it what you will…For non French speakers: Articule is an artic

Just a little info on tolerances before you get an actual flash from the cameras Pierrot mentioned.
The 3 columns on the left…

Chaps, is it still illegal to use a sat-nav in France that indicates the position of, and alerts the driver to, fixed speed cameras?

Hi Bullit

Don’t know I’m afraid. I always had the notion it was only legend, but stand to be corrected. I lived in France for many years (French Mother) and drove cars and trucks with just a normal GPS that included camera locations; everyone I knew did likewise.
So if it is illegal, it’s not or was not enforced.
I’ll check it out with cop friends and get back to you (if they know :wink:

Hi Bullitt

Yes it is illegal to use a Sat nav to warn you of speed cameras.
I don’t actually use one, but I presume there is a way of turning off this facility in the Sat nav.

Cheers for the replies chaps. I`d heard that it was illegal but wondered if that had changed.

Just to clarify what I was saying, my original opening post was actually just to warn everybody driving in France, to beware that the fixed speed camera on the opposite side of the road may have been adapted to actually flash speeding vehicles coming “towards” it as well, whatever the speed is on that road where it is situated .

If you see one of these on a normal road, the speed limit will be 90kph, unless as I said the limit has been reduced, due to a dangerous road, bend or urban route, but not a town, where it may have been reduced to 70 or 50kph., but you will have been forewarned of the reduction prior to that where the camera will be situated.

But, and as Tall mentioned, trucks should only do 80kph on single carriageway roads with a national speed limit and if you see the second sign, then you will probably get a fine as doing 90 is illegal.

Just to clarify/ complement the information given by Pierrot14, that second sign indicates that the camera can differentiate between cars and HGVs, so you could well be flashed if over the limit for HGVs!

…and for the uninitiated where there is a sign there WILL be a camera nearby.

Salut les camarades Plambert et Heraultais, j’espere que vous allez bien
And thank you for the added input

Trés bien merci, et toi (on peut tutoyer j’espere)? De rien!

But to get fined if driving a vehicle with uk plates the police would have to catch you, as i doubt the French would try and pursue foreign registered vehicles for speeding offences, and also doubt that the likes of DVLA would co-operate with them, although that may be going to change From 2017 Unless we vote out at the referendum on leaving the EU, yet another reason to leave the EU :laughing: But is blighty going to chase all the owners/drivers of those EU registered vehicles that are snapped by speed cameras in the uk ? at a guess i would say not

tommy t:
But to get fined if driving a vehicle with uk plates the police would have to catch you, as i doubt the French would try and pursue foreign registered vehicles for speeding offences, and also doubt that the likes of DVLA would co-operate with them, although that may be going to change From 2017 Unless we vote out at the referendum on leaving the EU, yet another reason to leave the EU :laughing: But is blighty going to chase all the owners/drivers of those EU registered vehicles that are snapped by speed cameras in the uk ? at a guess i would say not

I can safely say that the UK does not pursue foreign number plates going through speed cameras

mazzer:

tommy t:

I can safely say that the UK does not pursue foreign number plates going through speed cameras

If that doesn’t change as and when the french start to persue for offences recorded by fixed cameras then yet another one sided we get shafted yet again rules

There is a data sharing agreement between signatory countries for following up traffic offences but the UK is NOT a signatory. I’ve heard France and Spain are but then I’ve been flashed on the N10 (south of Vivonne) and the A10 thru Tours several times (I always forget the 90kph one) in my Spanish registered car but never been notified in Spain.

I’ve lost count of the times that I’ve been flashed by cameras all over Europe. I won’t lose any sleep over it. :wink:

mazzer:

tommy t:

id think most of the paddy boat traffic would back you up on that one… :slight_smile: