First truck sat Nav help

Witch sat nav is best for hgv ? I am looking at this one if anyone has it rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre … 3037683423

Thx

That satnav you linked to costs £35. It is unlikely to be “the best” at that price point…

I thought the reviews were surprisingly good, but then realised most are left by those just using it as a car satnav, so its ratings are not necessarily a reflection of how good it will perform as an HGV satnav.

I would not buy it myself. I hate TomTom because I’ve had them screw me over in the past with “Lifetime Updates” ending after 3 years and their method of updating ■■■■■, but my eyes are on a TomTom 6250 when I get my first trucking job.

I have been very happy with my Garmin Dezl 770 GMT-D with lifetime updates for all of Europe for the last couple years.

Does weights, Heights, ADR stuff for tunnels and bridges - It has allowed me to accept agency work in the middle of London when I had no idea where I was going

I do keep a Philips atlas as a back up but never had to use it.

I have the Tom Tom 6250 and it’s a useful piece of kit with the caveat - like all satnavs - of actually looking at what is in front of you and reading signs etc.

Tbh I’d strip it down further and say that I don’t often use it as a navigational tool as I often know where I’m going or near enough but the traffic info gives reliable arrival times which is probably what I find most useful these days.

I’ve said everything that needs to be said about sat navs, and the types of guys who use em, on this forum to the point of boring myself (as well as everybody else :smiley: )

It depends how much you rely on them mate, if you use it properly as a guide and not as a totally gospel spoon feed/ rely on it as your instructor type way, to the point of taking a day off it it doesn’t work :smiley: , …then it looks ok to me.

Put it this way I manage perfectly well with a car sat nav, but if I felt I needed a truck one, which I don’t, then that would be the one for me at the price.
No way in hell I would pay the ridiculous costs that some do on here for one of those ■■■■ things …but that’s just me. :smiley:

Yawn ■■■■ yawn…Starting to bore myself again, so I’ll shut it. :laughing:
Nuff said

Being using one of the cheap chinese hgv ones for about 4 years. Like anything use it with a bit of common sense and you will be fine.

Dont see the point in paying £300 plus for one because it branded.

Its like buying a dyson when any vacuum will ■■■■ the bits off the floor.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:

I had an ex girlfriend once who could do similar…

discountsatnavs.co.uk/
I got one of here a few years ago, never sent me wrong so far. Easy to use, decent sized screen and fairly cheap while you’re getting started

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

got a similar xgody stuff I bought when I started driving last year. Used it four times. Apart from battery holding 15 seconds (it needs to be on charger all the time) it worked amazingly well. Unfortunately we have 7250’s TT in every cabin so it has been laying in my bag ever since as a backup. I am considering giving it away for a tenner.

im a XGODY find it good. a while ago i was thinking of getting a fresh one via ebay so i messaged 10 different sellers [some in china,some here in uk ] asking a question , 2 days later i got 10 replies all at once ,seems its all one seller hiding behind a raft of different Ebay accounts

I believe the O.P. has already made up his mind anyway, and is just waiting for somebody to agree with him, before disagreeing with everybody else…

Why does the O.P. need a Sat-nav anyway, seeing as he’ll only take trunking work…

El Deano:
Being using one of the cheap chinese hgv ones for about 4 years. Like anything use it with a bit of common sense and you will be fine.

Does yours take live feeds of data from a mobile network to see where traffic is and route you around it? Which is totally spot on.

Does it have an app so you can set up the routes without bothing to touch the satnav? (Of limited use I know).

Does it give you live and up to date feedback on mobile speed cameras?

Does it update over wifi when you take it home rather than you having to plug it into your computer?

I’m not saying anyone needs this stuff. But you can’t say the cheap one is as good without knowing what the good ones do.

sammym:
Does yours take live feeds of data from a mobile network to see where traffic is and route you around it? Which is totally spot on.

Does it have an app so you can set up the routes without bothing to touch the satnav? (Of limited use I know).

Does it update over wifi when you take it home rather than you having to plug it into your computer?

I’m not saying anyone needs this stuff. But you can’t say the cheap one is as good without knowing what the good ones do.

Ffs…Seriously? :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve been watching a lot of the programmes on tv this month about the Apollo missions in the 60s and 70s.
I don’t think those guys did as much navigation prep to go to the ■■■■ moon than some of you guys do to go to Tesco rdc.s. :unamused:

Jeez H, :laughing: Am I in a different ■■■■ job to some of you lot. :laughing:

robroy:

sammym:

I’ve been watching a lot of the programmes on tv this month about the Apollo missions in the 60s and 70s.
I don’t think those guys did as much navigation prep to go to the [zb] moon than some of you guys do to go to Tesco rdc.s. :unamused:

Jeez H, :laughing: Am I in a different [zb] job to some of you lot. :laughing:

Rob, the fact that you park up at a place of your choosing, and go for a pint, rather than park in a “layby” on 14.58 hours for your 8.59 hour rest, should answer your question.

Btw, the Apollo computer had less capability than todays Mrs.Roy’s washing machine. :grimacing:

CC991BA4-5D1F-4EE2-AF03-CF167E7A8DB2.jpeg
Mine is maintenance free :laughing:

Punchy Dan:
Mine is maintenance free :laughing:

I can’t read small print A to Zs anymore Dan,…I either need stronger glasses or longer arms. :laughing:

Look I aint saying sat navs aint a good thing or you shouldn’t use them, they’re a bloody good thing and make the job so easier to when we just used our heads and initiative to find that back street in UK or Europe.
I would not be without mine today I fully admit it,.andr why would I not use a good aid to find somewhere if it’s available.
But some of them on here take them sooo ■■■■ seriously :unamused: , and I reckon if half of them had to even go out of their yards without one, they’d be ■■■■ ing their pants. :laughing:

How tf will they ever LEARN the job in real terms if they are 101% reliant on a thing 2" square to do it for them.

Sorry guys, it just amuses me thats all …and I never let go an opportunity to take the ■■■■. :blush: :smiley:

El Deano:

great if you drive in china

TatteredPrince:
got a similar xgody stuff I bought when I started driving last year. Used it four times. Apart from battery holding 15 seconds (it needs to be on charger all the time) it worked amazingly well. Unfortunately we have 7250’s TT in every cabin so it has been laying in my bag ever since as a backup. I am considering giving it away for a tenner.

I am considering giving it away for a tenner.
hardly giving it away is it

the nodding donkey:

robroy:

sammym:

I don’t think those guys did as much navigation prep to go to the [zb] moon than some of you guys do to go to Tesco rdc.s. :unamused:

Jeez H, :laughing: Am I in a different [zb] job to some of you lot. :laughing:

Rob, the fact that you park up at a place of your choosing, and go for a pint, rather than park in a “layby” on 14.58 hours for your 8.59 hour rest, should answer your question.

Btw, the Apollo computer had less capability than todays Mrs.Roy’s washing machine. :grimacing:

Good point ND, as I keep saying on here (if only just to wind up the minions who allow themselves to be ran ragged :blush: :smiley: )…I treat it as a job, not some kind of ■■■■ endurance test.

As for our washing machine, just like a ■■■■ truck sat nav, we don’t need a hi tech washing machine.
Here’s a pic of the wife using ours …which was her last Christmas present from me :sunglasses:
images.jpeg

…I spoil her :sunglasses: her last one was a tub and a bar of soap. :smiley:

I thought that we stopped doing “readers wives” on here. I have been back in the saddle last 3 weeks and use a cheap sat nav. Some times have to ask for directions as well, not many folk speak English . I didn’t realize how foreign the work force has become.