First time tramping next week!

Told my agency from day one that I don’t want tramping and it’s been that way since I’ve been with them but there was a mix up on Friday and so I’m helping them out next week. I do the odd night out here and there and don’t mind that at all so doing all week can’t be that daunting…can it ?
I’ve only done one Saturday shift with this company so I don’t know how they like to work things regarding where to park etc although I do know they have a snap account. I’m actually looking forward to it,it’s all experience an all that

If they have Snap , that is much better, you don’t pay to park, the firm gets invoiced.
Try and get a map of Snap parking sites, there are a few on the list, that you need to phone in to book ahead.
The popular places are full up by five pm, such as The Red Lion at Northampton.
The Hollies at Cannock.
Junction 29 at Chesterfield .
The Stockyard Sheffield.
Crewe is a good one, nice food in the cafe or a Brewers Fayre next door that has meals.
Try not to fill the cab with stuff that will never get used, the temptation is do use a wheel barrow full of tat and junk.
Baby wipes for a make do wash are ideal.
Wilko do anti bacterial wipes for 50 p, I recommend sterilization of the cab before you set off.
The steering wheel will be black with dirt and grease.

No reason at all as to why it should be daunting mate. Just think of it as 5 or 6 day runs with a different view from your bedroom window every night!

As to how the Co like things doing, just ask. Most drivers like to talk for Britain about themselves, so just pick a driver and say “how would you do…?” I guarantee they’ll tell you all you need to know.

Enjoy.

all I’ve every done since driving is tramping.

I’ve done the odd day run a couple of times when the work has been thin on the ground.
I hate doing day work everything seems to be a rush to get back to the yard for your basic rates no night out money and can’t get much o/t done.

If you and your family can hack the routine I find it a lot easier life and less stressed.

No commuting, so save fuel in the car.
Wake up, put tacho on crossed hammers for 15 minutes, then off you go.
Be careful where you park, as the diesel fairies prey on sleeping drivers.
Avoid giving money to park in motorways, at
least ■■■■ Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.
Modern day highway robbery.
A basic sleeping bag will suffice and a bed sheet to go on top the bunk.

Themoocher:
I hate doing day work everything seems to be a rush to get back to the yard for your basic rates no night out money and can’t get much o/t done

Totally agree with that. I did 2 nights last week and both times I just parked up where and when I felt like it,no stress,no getting annoyed at being stuck in rush hour traffic,no rushing home again in r/hour traffic and the drive to work next morning.

Seems like I’m talking myself into doing this full time now ha ! I’ll see how it goes,maybe just do it now and again because her indoors doesn’t like not seeing me all week :wink:

toby1234abc:
No commuting, so save fuel in the car.
Wake up, put tacho on crossed hammers for 15 minutes, then off you go.
Be careful where you park, as the diesel fairies prey on sleeping drivers.
Avoid giving money to park in motorways, at
least ■■■■ Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.
Modern day highway robbery.
A basic sleeping bag will suffice and a bed sheet to go on top the bunk.

Yes another good thing about it is saving money on fuel. It does worry me though about the diesel fairies and slashing of curtains. I woke up the other week convinced there was someone in the back of the trailer only to find it was just the wind rocking it

The law allows nine or ten hour driving limits, but I try and find overnight parking well before the limit sneaks up very quickly.
If two places are full up, at least there is driving time to find one.
If there are delays due to accidents or road closures, this can mess the day up big time by ending up dumping the Lorry in the middle of nowhere with no loo or hot meal.
It will be a lay by with the cab rocking all night and boy racers tooting their horns all
night just for a laugh.

If you have a smart phone, download Motorway Buddy and HGVParking. They have both been very useful when planning where you want to stop for the night. Motorway buddy will let you know if the place accepts SNAP and any other extra details. HGVParking gives you plot points on a map complete with addresses and postcodes which is great for punching into a sat-nav.

If loading out of the docks with timber or stone slabs, you may need about 12 ratchet straps or more, they won’t let you leave with no strapping.
Internal straps are ok up to 400 kgs.
Most industrial estates you can park for free, but be careful not to block property entrances, some operate 24 hours.
Foam ear plugs are ideal for nights out.

Just incase you need it, download this PDF
snapaccount.co.uk/SnapGuide.pdf

If you have a smart phone it will display pdfs, and this way you dont need to worry if you havent got a phone signal when trying to use the Motorway buddy app.

This is also the latest guide, updated last month.

Stockyard-Sheffield■■? has it moved?

Dieseldog66:
Stockyard-Sheffield■■? has it moved?

Stockyard is on the m18 at hellaby rotherham pal,still the same place as always :wink:

The key fuels app is a handy one as well if you fill up using them.

Saves pi55in about with those daft wee booklets.

Beggersbanquet:
Told my agency from day one that I don’t want tramping and it’s been that way since I’ve been with them but there was a mix up on Friday and so I’m helping them out next week. I do the odd night out here and there and don’t mind that at all so doing all week can’t be that daunting…can it ?
I’ve only done one Saturday shift with this company so I don’t know how they like to work things regarding where to park etc although I do know they have a snap account. I’m actually looking forward to it,it’s all experience an all that

Good luck with it mate! :smiley:

I have never done tramping, really wish I could give it a go for the above reasons… No commuting, no fuel bill and to add another string to my bow so to speak.

Enjoy :grimacing:

Beggersbanquet:

Themoocher:
I hate doing day work everything seems to be a rush to get back to the yard for your basic rates no night out money and can’t get much o/t done

Totally agree with that. I did 2 nights last week and both times I just parked up where and when I felt like it,no stress,no getting annoyed at being stuck in rush hour traffic,no rushing home again in r/hour traffic and the drive to work next morning.

Seems like I’m talking myself into doing this full time now ha ! I’ll see how it goes,maybe just do it now and again because her indoors doesn’t like not seeing me all week :wink:

As I said mate if you and the family can get use to the routine you won’t want to go back on day work.
I was in the army for 13 years so it’s just normal for me being away all the time.

It’s better money for a lot less stress.

It suits me and the wife as we both only work Mon to Fri.
So get every weekend off together.

Some great tips on this thread. Try and treat it as one long shift and you should find the weekend is even more special at the end.

I usually have an idea of around 3 parking up options by mid shift but depending on your jobs plan ahead and give yourselves loads of options, any 3 hour tips (cough rests) will give you another 15 hour shift if your that way inclined.

I try and save a 15 for friday if im not working sat but doesnt always work.

Sure you will enjoy it.

These are all great comments and tips,cheers fellas. Going to download all the apps that have been pointed out,already have the key fuels one which is brill

Themoocher:
The key fuels app is a handy one as well if you fill up using them.

Saves pi55in about with those daft wee booklets.

Those booklets are always out of date. I have the app but phone ahead just to be sure after being caught out once. Having said that I am full-time now with a Shell card. That’s a bit more reliable (touch wood).

Toby tips ;
Large holdall or sports bag to haul the kit from car to cab in one go.
Tupperware box to store pens, spare bulbs,paper clips and fuses.
Clip board to keep paperwork tidy.
Air freshener with anti bacteria in it.
Bungy cords to separate the suzies.
Puzzle or quiz books for waiting around.
Cds for music.