First time RDC visit - Any tips?

Freight Dog:
I’ve rarely met (say rarely, about 2-3 people) anyone who isn’t an aggressive hitler type working in such places. The apex predator species to be found on such sites tend to be gatehouse and shunters. Avoid the shunters, unless carrying some diverting bananas to throw at them. RDC work place rules are enforced with all the viciousness of the truly bored.

These places like to do one of a few things:-

1/ gatehouse staff - motor mouth at a thousand words a minute

to be fair (and i.ve only been twice) the gateman at Doncaster is a pretty sound bloke, ex Gurkha by all accounts, but your right in general

You will meet the team that stormed the Libyan embassy.

Clunk:
Oh and I never told you this. Get an old vehicle key, on a keyring with your motors reg on it. Hand this key into them. So you can still have ignition on for radio.

A good idea, but please check the keys when they give them back to you, I once sat in an RDC for an extra 4 hours waiting for the numpty who didn’t check and drove off with my keys to come back.
It’s all too easy to just grab the keys they offer and go back to your truck and start up using the keys you had all along.

chaversdad:
to be fair (and i.ve only been twice) the gateman at Doncaster is a pretty sound bloke, ex Gurkha by all accounts, but your right in general

+1
There seems to be a few ex Ghurkhas residing in the Doncaster area, and quite a few of them seem to be employed as security/gatehouse staff at several depots in the area.
They all seem to have a pleasant manner and are polite when you turn up at the gate

Yeah he was one of the good guys. Gate bloke at Tamworth decent too. Bit harsh saying 2-3. Asda were generally the better place to go, but in general I stand by my comments.

Leave your common sense and your ability to think for yourself, at the gate. Neither are needed!

Did an RDC in Ashby dl Zouche yesterday for first time. Got the paper with the rules on it’ “to read when you have a moment driver”, swapped trailers, went back to gatehouse to leave and had to fill in a form for all the “infringements” I’d committed in 19 minutes. Fannies the lot of them!

Well wasn’t too bad!

Same Gurkha chappy on gate I presume, very helpful he was. Went through rules quickly but did point out the important ones. Onto radio and I was told bay to go to and where to take his and my paperwork to.

Tootled upto bay and backs up. Into office and no one there so stood with a few others. After 15 still no one so they banged on window and so girl appeared and we just dropped keys into slot.

I tried asking what the process is but I can’t speak polish and she hadn’t much intention of speaking English .

Well after about 30min someone wanders in asking who’s on my bay so I stood up and he starts complaining I’m not in right place and curtains not open.

I said I’m on right bay but he says I’ve to park between the doors so I simply said well for a start no one explained that, I’m used to backing up to delivery doors not between them. And if someone had explained it I would have put it in right place so no need to come in harping on about it in that manner - ask me to move it politely.
Now I did say this very diplomatically and quietly, think that embarrassed him more than me he went bright red and said can I collect my keys and move it.

So I did and within 15 min he came up said ok driver your next we won’t be long.

And they weren’t I was tipped within next 5 min. He came back as I was fastening up and said I’ve to go wait in office for my paperwork.

I waited nearly an hour and half whilst they checked every single item one by one !!

God knows how long you’d be there if a full load!!

All in all wasn’t too bad. Waiting room full but no one was saying a dicky bird we all sat quiet as monks .

Eventually got out of the place but can’t say I’d want to go to these places often!!

dcgpx:
can’t say I’d want to go to these places often!!

Don’t blame you they’re pretty soulless places, it’s generally a doddle work wise but I quite enjoy the smaller drops even though I might have to jump in the back with a pallet truck at least these places generally are friendly.

dcgpx:
Waiting room full but no one was saying a dicky bird we all sat quiet as monks .

A great thread. It sounds like everyone was quiet, to NOT start a conversation because of the above comments regarding tales of taking on an army single handed, with a spoon etc

Chewyboy:
Take ear plugs for the waiting room :smiley:

Don’t do that you’ll learn something new, true or not!!! :wink:

I liked Asda in Eirth, well the part when they let you sit in your cab while they spend years tipping you.

Radar19:
I liked Asda in Eirth, well the part when they let you sit in your cab while they spend years tipping you.

I spent time in cab until they’d tipped so had a book, tea and sarnies. My biggest mistake was giving keys back after I’d first moved as I left window half way down and a cold wind blowing through canopy. Too lazy to go get them back lol so put jacket on instead.

dcgpx:

Radar19:

I spent time in cab until they’d tipped so had a book, tea and sarnies. My biggest mistake was giving keys back after I’d first moved as I left window half way down and a cold wind blowing through canopy. Too lazy to go get them back lol so put jacket on instead.

Wait till you do Morrisons Wakefield.

Chewyboy:
Take ear plugs for the waiting room :smiley:

+1

Make sure you put your hazards on as soon as you enter. If you don’t the depot will explode.

Or Amazon rugeley, security are ok tbh but office staff are tossers wait here dont move give me your keys no smoking on site staff only…sat in the waiting cell but go to hemel walk in the warehouse talk to the young lady ( gorgeous brunette he he) “sit in yr cab or kettle and microwave next door” knock yr door when ready security used to just wave you thro on the way out.

Asda Erith tip in whatever order they like. Regardless of how long you’ve been there or your booking in time. Don’t even start me on Lutterworth. 3 bays for side tip, but only one door open and 1 forkie. 3.5 hours to tip 6 pallets. And space to park about 6 motors when 25 are queueing.

B&M Speke. Turned up there early, was new to the game, so thought I’d play dumb and chance it. Nah. Got directions to an industrial estate to park on for a couple of hours. But to exit, I had to do a full lap of the place. Probably about 50 bays, 6 of which were in use. Came back at the proper time, and oh Christ Jesus!!!

Probably 70 motors waiting or trying to get on or off bays. No room to open your doors. Tugs flying about anywhere and everywhere and in any direction they felt like.

Went to swing round to back on (after letting about 20 motors and tugs past) and some guy decided to drop his trailer about 6 inches in front of my cab.

If I never go there again, it’ll be too soon

If you are new to a site dont take offence by shunters who give you the daggers and talk to you like summet on their shoe,its a power trip their on and let them enjoy their stick on stripes :unamused: you will always drop on them when are short of drivers and made to take a lorry out on the road,then its payback time :wink:

Why do they want to take the keys all the time?