First time RDC visit - Any tips?

I’m booked in to Asda RDC at Doncaster in the morning, just a drop off of about 10 pallets

Never been to an RDC yet so any tips on what to expect, more so when I get there is there any special rules not to break?

Are they organised or is it a free for all!

Not sure if they just direct to a bay, open curtains then say go sit in a room till done?

Be patient with hitlers in gatehouses, shunters & witches behind goods in desks, not uncommon for such types to talk to you like dirt. Shrug it off.

Tell whoever is at the gatehouse that you haven’t been before and get instruction & directions.

Check to see if there is a button under the traffic lights on the bay, if there is you will need to press it before you go inside.

If other drivers are waiting in their cabs whilst being tipped, don’t lock your drivers door when you go in with your paperwork as your keys will be taken off you. Made that mistake :blush:

Take plenty of reading matter/entertainment for lengthy waits.

to save hastle just follow company procedures I think that at Donny they like you to fasten your high vis vest, usual over the top health and safety, but if you follow procedures it saves you getting verbals of a failed army applicant. who loves the sound of his own voice… you’ll soon get the drift of things good luck

If you do all have to sit in a drivers waiting room, avoid the bloke that starts talking about the time he was out of hours, and the old bill turned up and chalked his motor off, blocked bays either side of him, waffle, waffle, blah, blah etc :grimacing:

Take ear plugs for the waiting room :smiley:

Cheers, sounds like it’s going to be an experience then!

If I act dumb(easy) will they tip me to get rid quicker haha?

TM says if they’ve not tipped by 30min to ring and he’ll put pressure on, how I laughed at that one!

I always get looked at like dirt in RDCs I never get my keys taken off me, I unload/load within minutes and I have never seen the inside of a drivers waiting room… unless they are by the bogs :laughing:
Self tipping and loading is the way forward :wink: :wink:

Remember to pi$$ over the wheels to show that you are a real driver.The other drivers want to know about your time in the Regiment.

alamcculloch:
Remember to pi$$ over the wheels to show that you are a real driver.The other drivers want to know about your time in the Regiment.

Make sure the brakes have cooled first or you will be engulfed in yellow fog :laughing:

do it when there red hot,that way you will be engulfed by white/yellow choking fumes thereby rendering yourself invisible to sny lurking gaywatch peeping tom camera drivers to post you peeing on here…I never worry personally about whooshing with my willy outdoors as sofar phone cameras haven’t got a wide angle lens… :unamused:

Easy 3-5 hour wait that’s just for paperwork.
Best to get yourself banned.
Then you never have to encounter these places again.

Watch out in drivers room. All either ex sas or were due on the Herald of free enterprise. [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

dcgpx:
I’m booked in to Asda RDC at Doncaster in the morning, just a drop off of about 10 pallets

Never been to an RDC yet so any tips on what to expect, more so when I get there is there any special rules not to break?

Are they organised or is it a free for all!

Not sure if they just direct to a bay, open curtains then say go sit in a room till done?

asda redhouse, you poor soul having too go into that place, take plenty reading material with you as you can be in there for at least 3 hours.
security will send you down too goods in, go in there too the window and hand them through, if there’s a few sitting then you may be told too take a seat and wait for a bay too become available or you maybe lucky and get straight on a bay, they will take the keys (if they tip out rear doors push the big red button at rear of trailer as this lets them lift the door and start unloading),
coffee machine and vending machine in goods in but 9 times out of 10 they wont take cash.

Easy day then for me, sat there all morning reading and listening to babble.
Now the rumour monger in me is thinking of what can I start spreading and see how far it gets?

TM wanted me to go to Barnsley after to pick up a load and deliver on way back as truck has to be at base for 12. Methinks he’s a tad hopeful then from the above comments !

I’ll tell him to put pressure on before I get there for my 8am book in lol

Thank yourself lucky that it isn’t the old Woolworths RDC in Swindon. Any issue you get at any rdc anywhere, you would get them all in every visit to this place.

Oh and I never told you this. Get an old vehicle key, on a keyring with your motors reg on it. Hand this key into them. So you can still have ignition on for radio.

Nice trick that one - thanks

I’ve rarely met (say rarely, about 2-3 people) anyone who isn’t an aggressive hitler type working in such places. The apex predator species to be found on such sites tend to be gatehouse and shunters. Avoid the shunters, unless carrying some diverting bananas to throw at them. RDC work place rules are enforced with all the viciousness of the truly bored.

These places like to do one of a few things:-

1/ gatehouse staff - motor mouth at a thousand words a minute - all the little rules so you can’t possibly take them in then shoo you on your way due a que behind for you to only get yelled at by the hitler youth types parading these places.

Or

2/ not tell you the info, stuff a disclaimer into your sweaty palm, shoo you away and rely on you reading the thousand stupid signs peppered everywhere like grafitti…for you to get shouted at again.

The only way to stop being balled at by himmlers and hitlers is when you arrive at gate, ask the bloke:-

1/ what’s ALL your procedures on the bay
2/ are you allowed to sit in the cab
3/ explain exactly where the ■■■■ do you go and where to wait
4/ explain which stupid bits of paper go where and what passes need collecting from which office.

The good ones will explain it, but the ones with small gentleman vegetables get on like you’ve marked their shoes. They’re flipping sodding keen to shout at you so they can ■■■■ well take time to verbally explain these stupidly enforced rules. You have to ask them.

You can tell I ■■■■■■ hate RDCs. Asda were actually the better of a very very bad lot. You need to be indifferent, a bit like trying to get through Saudi immigration! Be too nice and you get problems, be too arsey, you get problems. Just get in and get out.

dcgpx:
any tips

Phone in sick

dieseldog999:
do it when there red hot,that way you will be engulfed by white/yellow choking fumes thereby rendering yourself invisible to sny…I never worry personally about whooshing with my willy outdoors as sofar phone cameras haven’t got a wide angle lens… :unamused:

lurking gaywatch peeping tom camera drivers to post you peeing on here. :laughing: :laughing:

Forget all the rules and regs,just pretend you are Jonny Foreigner and do not understand English and you will be fine.

Don’t forget though you will need your non high viz tracksuit and flip flops,seems to be the fashion with non UK drivers and they are never sent off site.