First time in an artic

I have just been told that our artic drivers is off on the second week of March and I’m standing in for him.

I’m fine driving it, but I am a total bag of nerves, in fact I break out in a cold sweat when I think about reversing it.

the driving test reverse was a piece of cake, but when I think about reversing onto a bay next to something, or God forbid a blindside reverse.

is it normal to feel this apprehensive the first time you get into a bendy by yourself?

Yes mate. Don’t worry, when it comes to the crunch, you will manage it.

Yeah it’s normal, but have faith in your abilities. After a few reverses you’ll stop worrying and over thinking mate!

eagerbeaver:
Yes mate. Don’t worry, when it comes to the crunch, you will manage it.

What, the crunch? :open_mouth:

It’s perfectly normal pal, I too was very apprehensive about reversing in the real world.
I’ll be criticised for giving an opinion as I’m also a Newbie, but setting up for the reverse is the most import part, and can be the difference between a nightmare and piece of ■■■■.

Alternatively just use the force, all 44t of it! :laughing:

Best of luck pal! :smiley:

Haha, trust you Evil to pick up on my subtle ■■■■ taking!

thanks for the votes of confidence. you’re exactly right, I’m overthinking it. since I’ve found out I’m standing in for the regular driver I’ve been doing reverses in my head all day, which way to turn the wheel, which way the trailer will move, what I will see in the mirrors etc. God I need to get a life :slight_smile:

On a more serious note Jbaz, make sure your windows are spotless inside and out, and that your mirrors are also clean. Make’s a massive difference mate, and will help your confidence no end. In and out of the cab as many times as you want, object of the exercise is to complete the reverse with no damage, and more importantly no one hurt.

Every artic driver has had to go through it pal, you will be fine! Take as much room as you can to set yourself up, and take as many shunt’s as you want. Small inputs on the steering wheel, and nice and slow works best at first.

Last time I checked, my pay packet hasn’t altered now that I mostly do it in one go. It is unlikely that I will receive a medal either.

Def one of my biggest fears reversing w+d or artic. :astonished:

eagerbeaver:
Haha, trust you Evil to pick up on my subtle ■■■■ taking!

Yeah, I thought it was a little too subtle and needed a bump!

Maybe I could have phrased that better! :laughing:

Ba dum tish.

Some some good advice here, as Beaver says little and often on the steering, if you start snaking all over the place your going too fast…

Take you’re time and don’t worry about how many shunts it takes. Also don’t blind side into a bay if you are in a position to spin it round down the bottom of a yard

ajt:
Take you’re time and don’t worry about how many shunts it takes. Also don’t blind side into a bay if you are in a position to spin it round down the bottom of a yard

Agreed, and that’s another thing a Newbie has to deal with, as they don’t know the drill or score when visiting a place for the first time. So say you’re a Newbie and never been in before. Yes that may be a bit embarrassing, as you might get given a card saying “New to site”, but better that than making a complete ■■■ of yourself. I’m already a ■■■ and see the card as a get out of jail free card! :grimacing:

Since you’ve been given a bit of notice, why don’t you have a word with your TM, to go out with the regular artic driver & practice your reversing for a couple of days, a couple of hundred quid in wages invested in you is a lot cheaper than the potential damage you can cause [emoji6]

Great advice from all, just take your time get in and out the cab as much as you need it really doesn’t matter. It shows you actually care and this way you wont hit anything at all! If you have time before you get in an artic why not do a few reverses in the yard even if its a couple of hours of your own time, if it helps its worth it?! Also have a watch of this vid, hope it helps! viewtopic.php?f=5&t=133747

thanks everyone, good tips beaver, I will take a spare kitchen roll with me. I have asked for a couple of shifts in the yard, with the shunter. time will tell if my request is granted. otherwise, it’s in at the deep end and hope for the best :slight_smile:

jbaz73:
thanks everyone, good tips beaver, I will take a spare kitchen roll with me. I have asked for a couple of shifts in the yard, with the shunter. time will tell if my request is granted. otherwise, it’s in at the deep end and hope for the best :slight_smile:

If you are taking a spare roll of kitchen towel, what’s the primary one for? :open_mouth:

What’s a ‘new to site’ card? Never had one of those… :open_mouth:

Sounds like a fine idea, though, I might even make one for myself. I’ve been driving artics eighteen months now, but if it makes my life easier and safer I might keep playing the noobie card for a long while yet… :smiley:

I remember when I first visited a notoriously busy and tight little yard on my first solo shift. I told them I was new, and security called down to the bays on the radio to tell them to hold the easy end bay for me. By the time I got there, an experienced driver was standing ready to help guide me in.

There’s no shame in that whatsoever as far as I’m concerned. New drivers deserve help and it’s great to see how people rally round to do exactly that. Surely this is better than sweating, making a chump of yourself and hitting something through lack of experience?

I was thinking the same thing ORC. Do they really exist? Good idea if they do!

ORC:
What’s a ‘new to site’ card? Never had one of those… :open_mouth:

You haven’t been to the TPN hub then mate! :smiley:
I felt special! :laughing:

I agree that there is no shame in playing the Newbie card, it helps take the pressure off and as you say, some places may even give you preferential treatment. Not that it helped at MB, as my trailer had to go in the bay in the corner against the wall whether I liked it or not. I actually got it in no problem even on the blindside, just leaving it a couple of metres short so I could get some wire cutter to break the seal and open the doors, only to find I couldn’t quite open the offside door because of the wall! :imp:
So back out I went and seemed to make a bit of a hash of it the second time around…:blush:

You live and learn! :smiley: