First time in an artic

thanks all, I will be playing the noob card (literally if that’s the case) for as long as possible.

beezle, the primary one is for when I see the reverse I have to do and I ■■■■ myself :-/

jbaz73:
thanks all, I will be playing the noob card (literally if that’s the case) for as long as possible.

beezle, the primary one is for when I see the reverse I have to do and I [zb] myself :-/

Yep, the worst I’ve had was a crappy little industrial estate I pulled into, and though “How the ■■■■ am I going to get out?”
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Artic drivers where I work just squeeze and scrap there way into the space usually push the two artics next to them over a bit; Obvious neither is hooked up though. They never get out and check for damage or even seem bothered.

adam277:
Artic drivers where I work just squeeze and scrap there way into the space usually push the two artics next to them over a bit; Obvious neither is hooked up though. They never get out and check for damage or even seem bothered.

:open_mouth:

You have to remember that all of us started as newbies at one time, no one is born with the knowledge, not be afraid or shy to ask for help if needed.
Remember this trailer is moving the opposite way of the steering wheel, you turn left, the trailer goes right and vise versa.
Also better get out of the truck 5-10 times if needed to check the lorry position while backing up on blind side then ramming someone else. It takes second but saves hours.
As a newbie I had problems not so much with parking itself but steering wheel turn turning the truck and forgetting to open the doors(I was pulling dry van trailer), after a while I’ve become a lot better in parking then drivers with more years under the belt.
And remember BE CALM! :wink:

Only tip I could offer that nobody else has said yet was one I saw on here… If your going from lock to lock trying to get the trailer to go where you want it’s time to start again!

As others have said, set yourself up right to begin with. Start with daylight in both mirrors and you’ve won half the battle.

Hope you get a shift or two with the shunter as I am sure this will help a lot! :grimacing:

ORC:
What’s a ‘new to site’ card? Never had one of those… :open_mouth:

Sounds like a fine idea, though, I might even make one for myself. I’ve been driving artics eighteen months now, but if it makes my life easier and safer I might keep playing the noobie card for a long while yet… :smiley:

Not sure if I like the sound of that, you have to give it a go, but no shame in asking for help. The ignorant [zb] will give you a hard time, but most of us remember being there and will jump at a chance to impart our years of experience to anybody who’ll listen.

ORC:
I remember when I first visited a notoriously busy and tight little yard on my first solo shift. I told them I was new, and security called down to the bays on the radio to tell them to hold the easy end bay for me. By the time I got there, an experienced driver was standing ready to help guide me in.

There’s no shame in that whatsoever as far as I’m concerned. New drivers deserve help and it’s great to see how people rally round to do exactly that. Surely this is better than sweating, making a chump of yourself and hitting something through lack of experience?

Where was this?
What a great way to help a new driver, credit to all involved. :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:
It’s perfectly normal pal, I too was very apprehensive about reversing in the real world.
I’ll be criticised for giving an opinion as I’m also a Newbie, but setting up for the reverse is the most import part, and can be the difference between a nightmare and piece of ■■■■.

You might consider yourself a newbie, but it’s good advice, get the set up right, but even with that for a new driver it’s not likely to be a piece of ■■■■, so don’t get flustered when it doesn’t come right first time or for many times after that.

Remember the objective is to deliver the goods, not to get on the bay in one shunt. So provided you manage that and nobody gets hurt, then it doesn’t matter how many shunts you have or how much help you need. :wink:

Being apprehensive is fine, in fact it’s probably a good thing, I 'd worry about a new driver that wasn’t. It’s when the nerves get so bad they go to pieces it’s a problem.

jbaz73:
I have asked for a couple of shifts in the yard, with the shunter. time will tell if my request is granted. otherwise, it’s in at the deep end and hope for the best :slight_smile:

I can’t see that why a company shouldn’t try and arrange that, it’s in everybody’s best interest. But if not, can you arrange it between you and the shunter?