First time in a Artic

Hello trucknetters or whatever you call yourselves. I have been lurking here for a while but this is my first public post. I have started today my c+e course at pstt. It has been a interesting and illuminating first day. The artic is a different beast to anything i have driven before. But it has been a fun day.

Still having trouble with the reverse and I do need to watch my cornering but I think i can do this. And if i do thats another thing off the bucketlist.

Jim trot

I think all of us class 1 driving gods remember the feeling the first time we sat in an artic. Just listen to your instructor and you will be fine. Even I managed to pass class 1 first time as PSTT - I got 10 minors which is the highest i’ve seen for that establishment. I’m waiting hoping someone someday beats my record. Learn to reverse using the technique they give you - then after in the real world you will learn properly.

After the test you will be slapped in the face with life the first time you have to do some horrible reverse. But that’s okay - it’s all part of the fun.

Oh and congratulations in learning in a proper artic. I’m not sure how I feel about people passing in a wag and drag and having the audacity to call themselves as class 1 driver (Stevie that is totally aimed at you mate :grimacing: )

Listen carefully and don’t be afraid to ask questions. You’re in sound hands so make the most of it.

All the very best with your training and test, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

It’s after you pass your test, the first time you sit alone in an artic, in the dark and the pouring rain. Then you start to reverse and the bloody thing develops a life of its own, always opposing you. You eventually get there, and you get out on the road, it’s about this time that the realisation dawns on you that it’s twice the length of a rigid!

Have fun :grimacing: we all have before you :smiley:

sammym:
Oh and congratulations in learning in a proper artic. I’m not sure how I feel about people passing in a wag and drag and having the audacity to call themselves as class 1 driver (Stevie that is totally aimed at you mate :grimacing: )

“Driving Gods” Pfft!
Reversing a 3 tonne water bowser, with a Bedford MK, wag and drag, on a ■■■■■■■ down black night, wet ground, blindside manoeuvre, sorts out the men from the boys, I can tell ya!
■■■■■■ artics!
:smiley:

steviespain:

sammym:

“Driving Gods” Pfft!
Reversing a 3 tonne water bowser, with a Bedford MK, wag and drag, on a ■■■■■■■ down black night, wet ground, blindside manoeuvre, sorts out the men from the boys, I can tell ya!
[zb] artics!
:smiley:

Oh my mate Stevie…

Reversing 30T trailer full of valuable stuff (unlike water) on a ■■■■■■■ down black night, wet ground, blindside and then having to hook it back to good side to avoid the other valuable trailer. Definition of class 1 driving god.

Dude, there is NOTHING more valuable to troops on the front line than water. IF they have enough bullets!
Bullets, ok bullets are a neccessity.
Bandages? Yep, bandages are good.
Food?. No, ■■■■ em, they can feed off the land like I did back in 48! Go kill a goat.
Mail? Are you serious? Get the ■■■■ off that phone!

steviespain:
Dude, there is NOTHING more valuable to troops on the front line than water. IF they have enough bullets!
Bullets, ok bullets are a neccessity.
Bandages? Yep, bandages are good.
Food?. No, [zb] em, they can feed off the land like I did back in 48! Go kill a goat.
Mail? Are you serious? Get the [zb] off that phone!

Dude - water doesn’t come in a truck! It comes in plastic bottles from a helicopter or a plane - unless we can’t get if from a nice stream on exercise.

Get with the program. The only people who rely on trucks for water are those who we are meant to be protecting! Even then if the supplies get cut off we have a chopper come down and supply the locals!

Fair one.
I left the army before choppers were invented :slight_smile:

Well done for taking it at a very good school .
I passed both my c & c+e there with 3 miners .

They make things so easy to take in as long as you listen .

If you ask questions you get answers .

Day 2 will be much better you’ll see

Hi everyone. Day two.

Overall a fun day started with the coupling/decoupling procdure. Easy to remember. Then more driving around town near the end of which got stuck in traffic due to what i presume was a accident due to the police closing a road. After which I spent two hours practicing reversing.

It was enjoyable. I think I am at a passable standard with the reversal exercise. Just got to keep reminding myself which way to spin the wheel.

However i have to improve my approch to left and right turns on some corners i come close to the curb. I have to be more aware of my blindspots as well.

But I hope that I can, come monday, have another categoryron my licence. Then start job searching.

By the way thanks for the encouragement peter. Hopefully you remember me as you were my instructor for my c training.

And to everybody I apologize about the layout of this post. I have never really used forums before.

RDAL

Expect the normal driving to go well tomorrow and the reverse to go to pot. For some reason it dips on day three, then all comes together on day 4 for test.

Just got to keep reminding myself which way to spin the wheel.

Be careful. Once you’re round B cone there is no spinning of the wheel. Your trainer should be able to stand in front of the truck and just see gentle nudges. Don’t let a bend develop. Remember to steer to the side you can see the curtainside.

i have to improve my approch to left and right turns on some corners i come close to the curb

Simple. GIve yourself more room on the approach. Yes you can overdo it. So keep the balance. Before you drive the truck, stand at the front corner and look down the length of the truck. It’s relatively huge. Don’t forget just how big it is and always respect it - otherwise it’ll bite you!

I have to be more aware of my blindspots as well.

Oh come on!! When I taught you CAT C (yes, I remember) I gave you full and effective training in the whys and wherefores of blind spots. You cant have forgotten?? Every time from stationary, turn that head and have a proper look. Then straight back to the left mirror. Not rocket science but must be done. To not do so is playing roulette with other folks’ safety. Not good!

Concentrate on the advice given by your trainer (which I’m sure will be very similar to the above) and you’ll do well.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Lloydie:

Where they both down DOWN PIT :question: :laughing: :laughing:

Must have been a crowded cab with you + 3 miners + the examiner in it :unamused: :exclamation: :smiley:

ROG:

Lloydie:

Must have been a crowded cab with you + 3 miners + the examiner in it :unamused: :exclamation: :smiley:

They were very small [emoji6]

Lloydie:

ROG:

Lloydie:

They were very small [emoji6]

So these miners were…minors?
I´ll get me coat.

Ive got a question about roundabouts in an artic.

Say im at the roundabout and its clear i set off and a car comes round before my trailer has cleared their path is it an instant fail?.

Dont wanna be a dummy and wait that long my licence expires cos ive not gone when its been clear.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Say im at the roundabout and its clear i set off and a car comes round before my trailer has cleared their path is it an instant fail?.

The important part is “its clear”. Provided it is clear when you move and nothing comes soon after (in the distance you could reasonably abort) then there is no issue. You are expected on one hand to not impede anyone else’s progress but you are not expected to be physic. Unfortunately, folks don’t always look in the correct places to see other vehicles and this is not going to excuse you. But if there is no way you could see the vehicle, no problem.

As a footnote to this, go as soon as the space is there (that gives you the best use of the space before someone does come round the roundabout) and get on with it. A roundabout that isn’t tiny will be ok with full throttle to get you going. The quicker you’re on it and making progress, the less chance there is of causing anyone a problem.

So the brief answer to the question, read literally, is NO.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

The important part is “its clear”. Provided it is clear when you move and nothing comes soon after (in the distance you could reasonably abort) then there is no issue. You are expected on one hand to not impede anyone else’s progress but you are not expected to be physic. Unfortunately, folks don’t always look in the correct places to see other vehicles and this is not going to excuse you. But if there is no way you could see the vehicle, no problem.

As a footnote to this, go as soon as the space is there (that gives you the best use of the space before someone does come round the roundabout) and get on with it. A roundabout that isn’t tiny will be ok with full throttle to get you going. The quicker you’re on it and making progress, the less chance there is of causing anyone a problem.

So the brief answer to the question, read literally, is NO.

Hope this helps, Pete [emoji38] [emoji38]

Helped a lot thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi guys not been keeping you up to date. Alas didn’t pass. Three minors and 2 serious. Clipped a corner with my back end and also caused taxi to back up. Stupid mistakes to make. Hopefully better luck next time. Still I will not give up. Got to fill out every category on my licence.