First shift This Sunday

So finally got my first drive class 2 Sunday working around my current job as a way to get experience. Any tips for your first day?? It’s for agency so I guess il just try to give a good impression as I can. Havent got much detail except for where it is and start time. Got to be honest I can’t wait now! :smiley:

Go for it, just be patient, don’t rush, loved my first shift and like you was disappointed I couldn’t work until the following week again! Did wonder how an 18tonner picked up speed so quick, then realised it was displaying KMS rather than mph! All went well found everyone was helpful, don’t be afraid to ask! Enjoy

Yes I’m looking forward to it. I’m hoping as its my first drive il be shown and given bit of advice and not just right do your checks and off you go! Haha

Newbie1985:
Yes I’m looking forward to it. I’m hoping as its my first drive il be shown and given bit of advice and not just right do your checks and off you go! Haha

That could go 2 ways mate, some good people in this game, as well as some real retards…
Best of luck pal and don’t make too many judgments on your first shift! :wink:

As someone who’s just started on Friday, if I could go back in time i would of asked to start half an hour earlier so you have 30 mins getting used to the vehicle. I was rushing around with the checks etc , setting the sat nav and getting used to the tacho that I felt under pressure from the kick off.

Ask them if you can start any earlier, suggest that you don’t expect to be paid for that will no doubt g down well anyway.

Evil8Beezle:

Newbie1985:

That could go 2 ways mate, some good people in this game, as well as some real retards…
Best of luck pal and don’t make too many judgments on your first shift! :wink:

Haha no judgements il just be happy to get first one done and be able to see how things work. I’ve been looking on YouTube for tacho advice etc just to get started.

Alfa1M:
As someone who’s just started on Friday, if I could go back in time i would of asked to start half an hour earlier so you have 30 mins getting used to the vehicle. I was rushing around with the checks etc , setting the sat nav and getting used to the tacho that I felt under pressure from the kick off.

Ask them if you can start any earlier, suggest that you don’t expect to be paid for that will no doubt g down well anyway.

Yes that’s one think I have thought of what if I’m taking too long doing my checks?etc :smiley: I don’t know wether to write my other full time job down on tacho paper I have or just out it in a notepad. Think that would be easier to keep note of that way.

I just made a manual record in a diary as advised by the agency, the time sheets they give you may ask for other work you have done this week so can also note it on there , just gives them an idea of how many hours you can work under WTD

Just keep an eye on tacho as some default to rest and not other work when engine turned off. This caught me out on one of my first days in 18 t

wannadrivetruck:
Just keep an eye on tacho as some default to rest and not other work when engine turned off. This caught me out on one of my first days in 18 t

Cheers for the headsup! Any little tips like that will help!

Quick question for anyone who knows…
I’m writing my non driving hours down now for this week Monday to Friday. Monday to Thursday is 7am-3.30pm with half hour taken out for break so do I just write date down and 8 hours for that day or do I write 8.5 hours?

Newbie1985:
Quick question for anyone who knows…
I’m writing my non driving hours down now for this week Monday to Friday. Monday to Thursday is 7am-3.30pm with half hour taken out for break so do I just write date down and 8 hours for that day or do I write 8.5 hours?

do you get paid for your breaks? if you do,put down 8.5 hours :slight_smile:

Really enjoyed today’s shift. When I got there I had to do some picking on the line first to fill the lorry which the agency hadn’t told me about but of course just got on with it. Anyway I finally got out in the lorry with another agency lad who had already been there so I had to double man with him so didn’t quite do all the driving . Picked some tips up on using tail lift, using a manual gearbox even though I passed in an auto which was great. Only thing I forgot was to do a manual entry at beginning of driving for the 3hours work of line picking, so I guess il just write it down in my pad hoping that it’s ok as cover for it.Also when u eject tach card it says 24 hour yes/no what does this mean?

The tacho is asking if you want a printout for the current shift. If you answered “Yes” it will produce a printout showing your whole shift and a handy summary at the end showing all your driving, working, POA and Break times for the day.

Sent using smoke and mirrors

Ah right! I thought you would have to access it through menu! Cheers for that. Do you think it’s alright to have wrote my other work down before the driving this morning??I totally forgot to manual entry

Probably better to do a printout and write notes on that of any errors or issues related to that shift’s record. Keep it for 28 days along with all your other work records.

Once you do a printout, it becomes an official record!
And as said above, MUST be kept for 28 days.

Newbie1985:
Ah right! I thought you would have to access it through menu! Cheers for that. Do you think it’s alright to have wrote my other work down before the driving this morning??I totally forgot to manual entry

Don’t sweat about the manual entry, unless you get paid off the tachograph no-one will even notice.

I don’t know what the “3 hours work of line picking” is about, I assume that was yesterday morning in which case it doesn’t matter, I think I’ve said to you before that you should not try to manually enter none driving work for previous days into the tachograph, it’s not necessary and is likely to lead to mistakes, especially for someone who’s not used to using a tachograph.

Records for none driving days only need to consist of the start and finish times plus the date and your name, no-one will care what breaks you’ve had on those days :slight_smile:

edit: Sorry I’ve just noticed where the line picking came from, as said do a printout and write it on that, though to be honest no-one will notice now anyway :wink:

Evil8Beezle:

This is a joke right ?

Only printouts that are legally required need to be kept for 28 days, you can do a dozen printouts a day and bin the lot unless they’re legally required to explain a deviation from the regulations, you’re boss may not be best pleased about the waste but no-one else will care.

tachograph:

Evil8Beezle:

This is a joke right ?

Only printouts that are legally required need to be kept for 28 days, you can do a dozen printouts a day and bin the lot unless they’re legally required to explain a deviation from the regulations, you’re boss may not be best pleased about the waste but no-one else will care.

I’ve been told by many people (including TM’s) that once you do a print out, it’s an official record, so no, not a joke!
I may be wrong, I actually hope I am! :laughing: