First shift friday night

Just ticked over 6 months since I passed my C+E and been offered a night local trunk run.
Really looking forward to it but quite nervous…
Can I remember how to drive on of these big puppies…

Driving isn’t the worst of it (although it does make me apprehensive), it’s the reversing that is scaring me. My first shift is, I think, on Friday as well.

Oh boy…

Good luck to you. :slight_smile:

What tm you starting and where you going … Just to keep out your way you know :wink: :wink:

good luck ORC…is this your first job? how did you get it? how did you deal with the lack of experience issue?

Best of luck both of you… I’ll be joining you with first night nerves soon!

You should have downloaded and been playing Euro Truck Simulator since you passed… it works for me…lol and my reversing Im ■■■■ hot these days :grimacing:

space1999:
good luck ORC…is this your first job? how did you get it? how did you deal with the lack of experience issue?

Yep, first driving job. I got it through an agency who put me in touch with the company for an assessment drive which I passed (despite the reversing woes). I guess I’ve just been lucky that there is a firm out there who are short of drivers and are therefore prepared to take on a rookie. It’s only temporary but it fits nicely with my other commitments.

To be honest I doubt I’ll be out on the road first day. I am expecting it to be training mostly, and hopefully manoeuvring practice. Still, as nick2008 suggests you’d best stay out of the way, just in case… :laughing:

ORC:
Driving isn’t the worst of it (although it does make me apprehensive), it’s the reversing that is scaring me. My first shift is, I think, on Friday as well.

Oh boy…

Good luck to you. :slight_smile:

Thanks fella.
Good luck to you too.

I’m down to start at 22:00.
From Exeter to Bristol and back a couple of times and maybe somewhere else.

Wow.
What a shift…
Exeter - bodmin - redruth - exeter - bristol - exeter.

Traffic was horrific. ended up a 15.5hr day…
Man I’m tired…

J_K:
Wow.
What a shift…

Man I’m tired…

15.5hrs :open_mouth: hope that was DM :open_mouth:
who was you on for ?

stop doing streeto and you may have got back earlier.

nick2008:

J_K:
Wow.
What a shift…

Man I’m tired…

who was you on for ?

Unless he was multi-manning it may not be a great idea to say who he was on for :wink:

tachograph:

nick2008:

J_K:
Wow.
What a shift…

Man I’m tired…

who was you on for ?

Unless he was multi-manning it may not be a great idea to say who he was on for :wink:

yeah that was an open question with the MM in mind

Seems like I got away more lightly. I had 13 hour shift yesterday and a 10 hour shift today.

Not so much driving because they are trying to give me experience in manoeuvring so they are going for shorter runs to fit in more drops and collections. I got to do two drops yesterday (400kms) and another three today (200kms).

Mostly depots and loading bays, but had a tricky side street light industrial estate with lots of parked vans today. Went in forwards but they wouldn’t let me spin it round at the end of the side road and told me to back out onto the main road and reverse in instead. It took me a while, and my co-driver (trainer) helped me out when I got into trouble, but we got it there. Sadly, some clever warehouseman moaned about how long it took (maybe 15 mins or so which he translated into an hour), and asked if I even had a licence. I was tempted to throw the keys at him and invite him to have a go, but instead I simply explained that I was a new driver and everyone has to start somewhere.

I didn’t hit anything (not even the warehouseman), the load got delivered, that’s most important.

I am slowly figuring out the reversing thing. The more I do it, the more I am beginning to see a few signs of bits falling into place. I still have a long way to go, but they’re a patient and friendly bunch and are letting me go out with other drivers by my side to help out and teach me.

Not DM’d.
It wasn’t their fault I was on that long. Bank holiday traffic was stupid. I should have been back at the depot in just over 14 but it took 1.5 hrs to do 5 miles.

Had to reverse onto a couple of bays. 1st one was pretty good. Straight on. Second one was awful. Took 2 shunts and still not straight. On the bay though.
A good experience all in all.

Well done :slight_smile: What a miserable ■■■■■■ that bloke was though, your job is to get the load - and you - in safely, would he prefer you to rush it and back into somebody’s car instead? As far as I’m concerned, even if a load is ‘urgent’, the economy will not collapse if it’s a bit late :wink: I’m already growing a nice thick skin for when I start next week, ha!

J_K:
Not DM’d.
It wasn’t their fault I was on that long. Bank holiday traffic was stupid. I should have been back at the depot in just over 14 but it took 1.5 hrs to do 5 miles.

I suppose you’ll get away with a manual entry on that one :wink: …I had similar once getting out of Brum 33min over to do about the same …thing is it plays on your mind for a bit :imp:

nick2008:

J_K:
Not DM’d.

I suppose you’ll get away with a manual entry on that one :wink: …I had similar once getting out of Brum 33min over to do about the same …thing is it plays on your mind for a bit :imp:

I hope so. Been on my mind.
Been thinking I might have had an accident with my drivers card…

Just look at the times at the bottom of the print out. Bloody traffic.
Also, (I know I should know) what are the entries at the very bottom?

where were you caught to …
na as long as you did your print out wrote the reason you should be ok with it just keep it with you.
The other thing is try not to get caught out again. If they are planning a long run like that they need to re think it …