First night out next week, any tips?

Hi all, I’ve been day driving for a while now but the job I’m on next week involves nights out. As I’ve not done it before, I’m looking for advice, how to find a suitable place to stop, what to look out for and what to avoid. Any advice is gratefully received :slight_smile: I’m pretty much carrying everything I possibly can, but if you can think of anything essential that I may have missed? I know the laybys tend to fill up around6-7 time, so after that it’s pointless heading for the duel carriageways. Is it better to head for town and look for an industrial estate? If I am near a motorway the problem is not so bad as there are services.

I don’t know what route I’m on, is the best idea to look at the map, work out roughly where you will end up and try to find somewhere based on that?

Any advice is more than welcome :slight_smile:

My top tip ^^^

if your not a blatent troll and are really as gormless as to have to ask.the only proper is…pm dozy.he will be the oracle of nights out unplanned or otherwise. :frowning:

jbaz73:
Hi all, I’ve been day driving for a while now but the job I’m on next week involves nights out. As I’ve not done it before, I’m looking for advice, how to find a suitable place to stop, what to look out for and what to avoid. Any advice is gratefully received :slight_smile: I’m pretty much carrying everything I possibly can, but if you can think of anything essential that I may have missed? I know the laybys tend to fill up around6-7 time, so after that it’s pointless heading for the duel carriageways. Is it better to head for town and look for an industrial estate? If I am near a motorway the problem is not so bad as there are services.

I don’t know what route I’m on, is the best idea to look at the map, work out roughly where you will end up and try to find somewhere based on that?

Any advice is more than welcome :slight_smile:

Find out where you are going and ask other drivers either on your firm or outsiders for spots.
I personally avoid lay bys like crabs, but it’s up to you, so try and find somewhere near a town, ind est, retail park (preferably well lit up) with nearby facilities where you can have a walk and/or a meal, pub cafe etc.
Do not wait to last 10 mins on your drive time to find somewhere, and don’t be too fussed about going (slightly) off route, …if you get questioned about it ask your boss if he is sleeping in an unsuitable lay by tonight nowhere near facilities.

If valuable load park on a truckstop or similar, again MSAs aint for me, overpriced parking serving overpriced crap disguised as food, but again up to you.
If not a valuable load, leave a back door open on trailer.
Put up on here where you are making for, and you will get tips where to park.
Hope that helps.

www.hgvparking.com

LOL, although you are obviously a new driver I find it extremely funny to see you have actually come on here to ask this question :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I wish you luck in your venture :smiley:

You’ve had good advice above from our resident bleeding hearted agony aunt Robroy :wink: :laughing:

As a general rule, choose a place where you’d feel safe to sleep in a tent pitched on your curtain sider’s deck with the curtains tied back.

It aint rocket science, you’ll know when you find the right spot, i concur absolutely with not trying to drive right up to the final minute.

Me personally when i did nights out i avoided truckparks and MSA’s like the plague, and would often travel the old roads or alternative lesser main roads, my favourite nights out were parked within walking distance of a preferably country pub which provided food, if the job don’t pay enough to cover a decent meal and a pint after a days work it aint worth doing.

Watch out for the diesel fairys

Thanks robroy and juddian, yep, I’m a new driver. The advice helps loads :slight_smile:

If the company dont pay for decent parking, then dont worry about the diesel or the cut curtains…cos they aint yours to worry about… :smiley: …and good luck fella.

Buy some cans of strong cider so that when you park up you can come on here and have a drunken mental break down. We love a good melt down.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

jbaz73:
Is it better to head for town and look for an industrial estate?

Every single time. Park as far away from other trucks as you can and you’ll be fine.

Juddian:
my favourite nights out were parked within walking distance of a preferably country pub which provided food, if the job don’t pay enough to cover a decent meal and a pint after a days work it aint worth doing.

Doing just that tonight Juddian.
Sat in a beer garden at Ilminster like a tourist, with a pint and food.

A bit embarassed to admit it but they only do a 2 for 1 meal offer, they wouldn’t change it for an extra pint or a sweet, so yeh…I ordered 2 meals :blush:
Yeh,…I know…I could still just have ordered one. :blush:

Had to laugh when the waitress said
‘‘Enjoy your MEALS’’
when she served me. :smiley:
Diet starts tomorrow I reckon. :smiley:

A little thing I’ve been doing is looking at where you’re delivering too, the industrial estates I mean. Are they well lit, cameras, any double yellows? Be on the look for travellers camps, if you see one nearby when looking for a place to park, move on.

As mentioned above, plan your route with parking in mind. Its best to stop half an hour earlier to make sure you get to either the place you want or a safe place at least. If they ask for secure parking, look for a truckstop. There are tons around and most are pretty good but be warned they do fill up fast for obvious reasons. Keep a note of the places that were good to park in so you can reference them quickly if needed.

As for security, make your lorry as unappealing as possible. If you can things like bulk bags of plastic on, you can leave the doors open as I’d like to see someone make off with that load! Use your noodle, if you have expensive and/or easily liftable items on board then cover your own arse and park in a truck stop. If you still can done over then you have for filled your end of the deal by finding “secure” parking. We all know that its not secure but as far as the insurance companies are concerned it is. If your boss pays for parking or has a SNAP account then you can no excuse.

Keep your recipts and parking tickets then check your wages to make sure you’ve been paid back as sometimes these things can be missed off.

I would personally avoid MSA’s like Robroy and Juddian because; A they stink of ■■■■. B, expensive for zero security. C, it can be a free for all with everyone dumping their trucks anywhere because either there isn’t enough room or they are just plain lazy and cant be arsed to walk.

I’ve only ever had my curtains slashed in MSA’s, London Gateway, Woodall, Hartshead Moor and Magor.

Cheers Robroy, that sounds idyllic, my cool glass sat at home here is raised in admiration.
No doubt you’re strategically sited for a casual perv at the pretty ladies as they pass by :smiling_imp:

A proper lorryists night out…two dinners indeed :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Radar’s got the job sussed.
There is one MSA i used to use when in the area, and thats Cardiff gate, its small and quiet and 100 yards from a Toby.

Juddian:
Cheers Robroy, that sounds idyllic, my cool glass sat at home here is raised in admiration.
No doubt you’re strategically sited for a casual perv at the pretty ladies as they pass by :smiling_imp:

A proper lorryists night out…two dinners indeed :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Radar’s got the job sussed.
There is one MSA i used to use when in the area, and thats Cardiff gate, its small and quiet and 100 yards from a Toby.

I like Gloucester, £23, its only £2 more than the Red Lion and you don’t get eaten alive by the mozzy’s like I was last week!

My boss doesn’t pay parking so had to use a layby about a mile further down the road from the Red Lion as the road outside was already full at 5pm. I didn’t have much choice parking up on 9:55hr the other day. Tonight though I’m on a small road in Tottenham as I sneak into London with a trailer no fit for TFL and make my escape as soon as possible Am.

On the bright side the local chippy does massive portions of chips with a pot of curry sauce for only £1.90 and the off licence next door does a four pack of beer for £4.

Flip flops for the shower are essential imo.

mrginge:
My boss doesn’t pay parking so had to use a layby about a mile further down the road from the Red Lion as the road outside was already full at 5pm. .

You should try and make paying for parking more attractive to him by choosing some dodgy places where you wake up with holes in curtains and a tank or two of diesel missing. :bulb: …that may go a long way to him changing his policy.
Greedy ■■■■,… even my lot pay for parking. :unamused:

robroy:
You should try and make paying for parking more attractive to him by choosing some dodgy places where you wake up with holes in curtains and a tank or two of diesel missing. :bulb: …that may go a long way to him changing his policy.
Greedy [zb],… even my lot pay for parking. :unamused:

As we are bulk tipper, low loaders etc we don’t have curtain issues and in my 3yrs here we have only had 3 tanks emptied so I’m guessing is a gamble worth doing from the bosses view. He just has to put up with us going off route for services before we park up and potentially going off on a jolly to park up in places we like.