First night artic job

hi all well finaly ready to go out tonight in an artic from glasgow down to waringtion did it last night in a rigid was ok wheather was not hope it will be tonight so whish me luck

ps how do you know your overall height if it says 13 feet on trailer does coupiling up not add extra height to that 1300 feet shouldnt wory about it tonight motorwayy all the way no low bridgies it is christene salvsasen depot :question: :confused: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The height on the trailer is the overall running height coupled to the unit.

Take care tonight and hopefully its not too windy

i will wave to you on my way upto east kilbride. have a good run and take your time. when swopping trailors double check everything. good luck

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t. The ones I have pulled where it wasn’t had “Box Height” written on them. If in doubt once you have looked at it better to ask than to risk it !!!

G

Gazzareth:

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t. The ones I have pulled where it wasn’t had “Box Height” written on them. If in doubt once you have looked at it better to ask than to risk it !!!

G

yep your right. some boxes i pull are marked 10 foot but that the actual height of the box,you then need to measure and add the distance from the bottom of the box to the floor add together and thats your total height. i always allow 3 inches extra

raymond888uk:
ps how do you know your overall height if it says 13 feet on trailer does coupiling up not add extra height to that 1300 feet shouldnt wory about it tonight motorwayy all the way no low bridgies it is christene salvsasen depot :question: :confused: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

They’ll usually say something like “Trailer height xxxxx with a fifth wheel height of yyyy”.

They’re usually reasonably close, but have occasionaly been known to be significantly different. The best way to be sure is to use a tape measure.

Raymond,

Mr Fibble is spot on :wink: it takes 2 seconds to measure trailer height after coupling. Get a nice stiff metal tape measure and go from a fixed point to the top of the trailer then measure from the fixed point to the floor and add together.

A few seconds and a fiver for a tape measure sure beats hittting an overhead obstruction and the trouble of finding a new job. :wink: :slight_smile:

(remember you have a mandatory height marker in the cab, hit a bridge and its wrong then its all down to you M8)

Well how did it go, ok i hope. didnt see you but it was a bit windy on 74 last night, hoped you coped okand slowed down abit to compensate.

Hi raymond!!! how did you get on then■■?

I had to take a salvo’s double deck trailer up to Carnforth last night for a trailer swap with salvo’s motherwell , the wind wasnt as bad as I’d thought it would be.

But the for the bleedin 2 lane closure after jct 14 M6 & some plonker pulling a Debenhams trailer , who started playing pass me if you can when we were going over the ship canal Manchester on the way back, so I just backed off… he backed off indicating me to overtake, & snaking so i could see him waving his arms for me too pass… then speeding up again as I went to do so :smiling_imp:

Eventually I got passed following behind 2 other units… he had his cab lights on & he looked completly off his head :unamused: all that apart twas a good night :laughing:

Hope yours was a good un■■?

wills:
some plonker pulling a Debenhams trailer , who started playing pass me if you can when we were going over the ship canal Manchester on the way back, so I just backed off… he backed off indicating me to overtake, & snaking so i could see him waving his arms for me too pass… then speeding up again as I went to do so :smiling_imp:

Eventually I got passed following behind 2 other units… he had his cab lights on & he looked completly off his head :unamused: all that apart twas a good night :laughing:

Are you sure he wasn’t just trying to get you to run alongside him over the viaduct in view of the wind?

If I remember correctly, those Debenhams trailers are only twin axle and so would run at about 5 or 6 tonnes when empty.

I agree Krankee, had it on the QE2 bridge several times he wasn’t snaking by choice :unamused: :slight_smile:

Krankee:
Are you sure he wasn’t just trying to get you to run alongside him over the viaduct in view of the wind?

If I remember correctly, those Debenhams trailers are only twin axle and so would run at about 5 or 6 tonnes when empty.

No he was at it long past the viaduct…& it really wasnt that windy… i was pulling a double decker that had only got the bottom full of empty roll cages ■■? the wind wasnt a problem… he was snaking so i could see him hanging out of his window calling me past ■■? then when nearly fully past sped back up to completly undertake me Not sit along side me