First blowout!!!!

So it had to happen one day. Driving through the roadworks on the M74 just before junction 3, noticed a ■■■■■■■■ floor but there was a small car to my right and the wall to the left. Couldnt go either way to avoid it without crashing into one or the other and too late to slow down and i hit it. Ended up with 2 Blowouts! and saw what was my battery cover and wheel arch going down lane 2 and 3 :open_mouth: luckily enough i was just coming out of the roadworks so by time id slowed down there was an hard shoulder to pull on. I see these ratchet straps on motorway all the time and try to avoid them. Its unreal the amount of damage its caused. Pics below.

That is one expensive strap, glad everyone is okay…

dave docwra:
That is one expensive, glad everyone is okay…

at least the strap is no longer on the road to cause more zb

Scary

My only one to date was a supersingle on the trailer as I was overtaking two lorries in trap 2 after lancaster services. The damage these blowouts do is quite amazing.

had my first early this year in a rigid. Rear nearside inner blew, took a sidelight and mudguard with it and blew a hole through the floor of the box. Highways wobbles turned up with a few shredded remains and asked me if they were mine :laughing:

I had a blow out on the M25 in 2003. Closed the M25 both directions when bits of my underrun bars and mudguards went over the whole motorway :smiley: . Made it onto Sally Traffic (was popular then before we all realised radio 2 was crap). Blew out a quarter window on a Renault 5 next to me but he drove off :open_mouth:. It was a blow out not a puncture caused by debris. No tyre left at all which I found fascinating, just a rubber knuckle and what was left of the hub :laughing: . Sounded like a bomb, loads of smoke and the truck lent over.

I tucked myself away in the bushes up the bank of the motorway away from deadly out of control lorries as per sensible thinking. The female copper was nice to me. She had a boot full of my trailer bits. I apologised about the que behind her road block whilst she picked up bits of my trailer and asked if she wanted a hand. She said “no it keeps me trim” and winked. I quite fancied her :smiley:

Boils my ■■■■ when I see drivers leaving unsecured or inappropriately fastened straps in the open. This is the result. Put the things away ffs :unamused:

Strap hooks are deadly and will give you a puncture every time if the hook is facing upwards. If boxed in I slow right down to see if I can spot where the hook is.

Snap ! I had the same thing a couple of years ago, I was only a mile from finishing my shift…
it was dark , so i didnt see the ratchet it until it was too late…
it embedded itself in the front o/s tyre of a scania, then flailed around destroying the plastic mudguards under the cab as well as puncturing the tyre…
luckily it missed the fuel tank…

wow, so much damage…i`m surprised the road workers never spotted it and removed it…a pity…

Kin-ell :open_mouth:
Did the quick “battery disconnection” knacker the alternator aswell??
If so, that’ll be another £500 for a new alternator.
Ive seen a fair few ratchet strap claws laying around the roads and up till now Ive managed to avoid them. Bloody things are a menace for blow outs.

bit of a mess I must say,i had a blowout last week,fortunately no other damage,tyre was a right mess,holes all round it, some you could put your clenched fist in,the worst part is waiting for the fitter,they could be just down the road yet you still end up waiting an hour or more,i swear they go for breakfast first[don’t blame them]

well done for keeping it on the road, the amount of straps on the road these days that have snapped is unbelievable, inappropriate use is probably the main reason for it, like using straps to secure 25+ tonnes of steels girders without protectors lost count of the amount of drivers ive seen using them, or on concrete slabs, seen where a driver left all 4 snapped straps in the middle lane after slamming brakes on on the M62 just before birch services he was in services with nothing securing his 2 piles of slabs to his trailer.

Gembo:
Kin-ell :open_mouth:
Did the quick “battery disconnection” knacker the alternator aswell??
If so, that’ll be another £500 for a new alternator.
Ive seen a fair few ratchet strap claws laying around the roads and up till now Ive managed to avoid them. Bloody things are a menace for blow outs.

Just wondering if the power loss due to battery disconnecting ensued in a power interruption to tach head unit and you incurred an infringement!

Some years ago I put my card in did the 15 minute walk around, went to start her and flat battery. That particular infringement stayed on my card for quite a while!!

battery was still connected and run night heater all night untill it could get fixed next morning which was good as it was -5 when i woke up in morning lol i would have frozen otherwise :grimacing:

Since when has a power interruption been an infringement…?

Roymondo:

can’t figure that out myself. had 2 new batteries put on my truck 3 weeks ago, how are you supposed to do that without a power interruption? :unamused:

Wow thats some damage

Hammy747:

Roymondo:

can’t figure that out myself. had 2 new batteries put on my truck 3 weeks ago, how are you supposed to do that without a power interruption? :unamused:

Regardless of whether you can do anything about it, my point was that it’s not an infringement - It’s an “event” that gets recorded on your card if it happens to be in the head unit when it crops up.