First aid as a mandatory dCPC module?

Early hours of last Friday I was the first on the scene of a RTA, on an unlit A road about 8-10 miles from the nearest town. I stopped as did 4-5 others and went to see if I could help.

The only vehicle involved was on its side in the verge with steam/smoke billowing, and by the time I got to the vehicle the passenger door was being held open by 1 of the 2 occupants. They did get out under their own power with me holding the door open for them and had no major injuries. The police were called and having attended I was on my way after about 45 mins.

My last formal first aid course was 20ish years ago and the anxiety walking towards the vehicle, not knowing what I would find, thankfully quickly subsided once no serious injuries were involved. This is the 4th RTA I have come across witnessed in my driving career and never had any first aid training in that time.

So should first aid be a mandatory dCPC module at least once in the initial 5 and then every 10 years?

Not blooming likely. Given the number of bods who can’t even master basic drivers’ hours rules despite their yearly refresher I’d be wary of them being licensed to patch me up.

Hi,the company I work for have that as one of their 5 modules.
Would be a good compulsory course and a handy skill to have in private life.

I’ve done a St John first aid course in the past, not sure if I would do it today, as I see it, compo culture as it is now, chances are you’ll try to do someone a favour, get it wrong, find yourself up before the beak. Or is that just me being a cynic?
Bernard

albion1938:
I’ve done a St John first aid course in the past, not sure if I would do it today, as I see it, compo culture as it is now, chances are you’ll try to do someone a favour, get it wrong, find yourself up before the beak. Or is that just me being a cynic?
Bernard

No you’re not being a cynic whatsoever. It’s the same reason you can’t give someone incapacitated through a diabetic shock a shot of their insulin pen, or why you can’t hold an old lady’s arm across a road unless expressly asked just you happen to be a raging ■■■■■■.

It’s a fear of the compo culture that has penetrated every part of our lives - a fear that means even doing the decent thing may result in someone having a claim thrown at them.

toonsy:

albion1938:
Bernard

No you’re not being a cynic whatsoever. It’s the same reason you can’t give someone incapacitated through a diabetic shock a shot of their insulin pen, or why you can’t hold an old lady’s arm across a road unless expressly asked just you happen to be a raging ■■■■■■.

It’s a fear of the compo culture that has penetrated every part of our lives - a fear that means even doing the decent thing may result in someone having a claim thrown at them.

With first aid this is very unlikely. They would have to prove that your actions actually made the situation worse than it would have been than if you had done nothing. They would also have to show that you were negligent, ie performed at a level below your abilities. For example if, as a lay person, you gave someone CPR genuinely believing that they were having a cardiac arrest, then it transpires they weren’t, and you did damage to the chest you could not be sued as you acted to the best of your abilities. If a heart surgeon in a hospital did the same then they would correctly be sued because they had the knowledge and tools to know better.

And no, you are correct, don’t give a diabetic a shot of insulin because you may kill them quite quickly, that’s why we are told not to do it. Diabetics are most likely to go into a coma due to too much insulin (not enough glucose). If they are conscious give them a sweet drink or a boiled sweet and call an ambulance. If they are suffering from too little insulin (too much glucose) then you can help them self medicate but deterioration is slow so an ambulance would arrive in time and giving them more sugar would not make it worse.

Going on a proper first aid course gives you then confidence and knowledge on what you can and CANNOT do when the need arises.

I’ve been a first aider in a warehouse job before now and I did a CPC module in first aid. Not recognised as a qualification because it needs to be about 25 hours but interesting never the less.
Given the other drivel I’ve had to sit through this was genuinely interesting and more folk should do it.
As a first aider you have no come back if you act in good faith and you can’t be sued. That was made clear in the first 5 minutes of the course.
Do it, you never know.

mick.mh2racing:
I’ve been a first aider in a warehouse job before now and I did a CPC module in first aid. Not recognised as a qualification because it needs to be about 25 hours but interesting never the less.
Given the other drivel I’ve had to sit through this was genuinely interesting and more folk should do it.
As a first aider you have no come back if you act in good faith and you can’t be sued. That was made clear in the first 5 minutes of the course.
Do it, you never know.

Hi Mick, you can do the EFAW course in 6 hours, so it can be a work place qualification as well as DCPC. The longest widely available course is the First aid at Work course which is 18 hours. Mind you, unless you need the certificate for work then then the knowledge is more important than the extra certificate.

Well at least if you did do first aid the dcpc would actually be some use, which is more than what it is now.
However a better option would be to kick it into touch completely, standards of drivers and driving have hardly been revolutionised since it came out have they. :unamused:

Judging by the assault on my sight, sound, and smell in most drivers’ waiting rooms, the last living experience I’d want whilst dying on the road is a kiss of life from a Romanian tramper.

It is now 16 years since I did a first aid course with St John. I am very pleased in fact that the qualification only lasts for 2 years since I notice that the guidance for CPR has changed in the meantime.
I can recall that we were all advised to take out insurance against being sued by the benefactors of our efforts. IIRC St John had a scheme running.

I challenge anyone to find a case where the “beneficiary” of some botched first aid actually sued the well-meaning helper.

Just a thought here, if anyone feels they could benefit from a first aid course, just because it isn’t part of the DQC, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do one anyway yourself. There are plenty around. I agree it could be a good course to do on the DQC but still a good one to do on your own. Every driver should know first aid and possess these important skills. I have had to use mine on quite a few occasions where I have been glad I took the time to learn it.

As I see it if I have to do this training then I take courses of actual use. First aid is both useful and interesting and you might just save someone’s life!!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

P Stoff:
As I see it if I have to do this training then I take courses of actual use. First aid is both useful and interesting and you might just save someone’s life!!

Do one if you feel that way.

UKtramp:
. Every driver should know first aid and possess these important skills. I have had to use mine on quite a few occasions where I have been glad I took the time to learn it.

Mate,… you’re the (un) caped crusader of the Trucking world. :sunglasses:
Picture this…you come across somebody who has electrocuted himself on his fridge, not only could you save his life,… but you could also fix his fridge :open_mouth:
It’s a win win, and if you were wearing your Stobbie suit, think of the publicity and the street cred. :bulb:
:wink:

I did for my last and will be doing a refresher for the next one.

robroy:

UKtramp:
. Every driver should know first aid and possess these important skills. I have had to use mine on quite a few occasions where I have been glad I took the time to learn it.

Mate,… you’re the (un) caped crusader of the Trucking world. :sunglasses:
Picture this…you come across somebody who has electrocuted himself on his fridge, not only could you save his life,… but you could also fix his fridge :open_mouth:
It’s a win win, and if you were wearing your Stobbie suit, think of the publicity and the street cred. :bulb:
:wink:

I do think of myself as the bat man of drivers rob. I possess a very special set of skills granted, the stobbie suit is no more though.

UKtramp:
the stobbie suit is no more though.

What, have you jacked already?? :open_mouth:

robroy:

UKtramp:
the stobbie suit is no more though.

What, have you jacked already?? :open_mouth:

It wasn’t for me rob. I won’t knock them but I have a bit more about me to be honest, I tried it and it didn’t work out. Be ok for some and t may suit them, no problems with them as an employer. I have taken time out as I want animal feed work. I was happy doing my week of it and want more of it.