First aid as a mandatory dCPC module?

Well I hate people who say "I told you so’’ so I won’t say it.

Oh ■■■■ it ! …‘‘I told you so’’

robroy:

Oh [zb] it ! …‘‘I told you so’’

That’s why I kept it quiet.

Just my inputs…
If you give First Aid, you are trying to help. Therefore you will not be sued for doing what you think is right.
Sure, if you give an injection without proper training/knowledge then you will be screwed.

But. And a VERY BIG but, consider the following:-

You come across an accident, person is not breathing and you suspect a back injury

1. Do you turn them over and save their life? Possibly causing further damage, paralysis…
  2. Or leave them until the paramedics arrive? (remember, 3 minutes without oxygen and you die)

Correct answer is 1) and you will not be sued for it.
2) if you can live with your conscience…

Get trained, do your best, do not be frightened. You WILL be a better person for taking the training and learn.

Paul
Ex St John first Aid trainer :slight_smile:

First aid isn’t open heart surgery… its just very basics to preserve life. - most first aid is common sense- No-one has ever been prosecuted for acting in good faith.
Most RTA first aid is not about anything medical, its about securing the scene so no-one else gets injured or those helping do not put themselves at risk making the situation worse, then evaluating the incident to provide the emergency services the best information - only after that would you get into the medical side.

Even as a trained first aider you are not a professional so a negligence claim would fail. Unlerss you did something stupid like spark up a ciggy alongside a fuel leak that then caught fire injuring someone… but that’s stupidity not first aid

It is worth noting that in the UK we don’t have a “Samaritan” law however if you were in other countries such as Germany,and came across an RTA and failed to give assistance then that itself would be a criminal act

Useful reading en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law

And to address the OP’s question when the DCPC was first proposed and it was apparent it was going to happen whatever, a mandatory First aid session within the 35 hours was proposed- I myself during the consultation period wrote to support the concept, unfortunately it was ignored. I still firmly believe that it should be a mandatory 7 hours out of the 5 year 35 hour total

Im a qualified first responder and as well as a comprehensive first aid kit carry defib. Also teach basic first aid when/if theres 5 plus volunteering for it at base. Subsidised first aid kits (a little more comprehensive than the factory supplied ones) are given out to all drivers whether employed or O/D. A module within DCPC would be one of the better ideas imho…

UKtramp:
Just a thought here, if anyone feels they could benefit from a first aid course, just because it isn’t part of the DQC, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do one anyway yourself. There are plenty around. I agree it could be a good course to do on the DQC but still a good one to do on your own. Every driver should know first aid and possess these important skills. I have had to use mine on quite a few occasions where I have been glad I took the time to learn it.

Prey tell of your heroic experience, many times, please tell us all and don’t leave any detail out, your fantasy mind will be in overdrive now thinking up imaginary posts
Go for it Dozy 2

I like to think I am as good as any paramedic out there, I would also like to think that the majority of drivers would know what to do in the event of an RTA. First aid knowledge should be tested before you gain a full HGV licence rather than that silly Mod 4. it is amazing to find such a lot of people lacking in first aid skills in general. HGV drivers should really have training along with bus drivers.

Answer NO
Reason
Some / a lot of people can’t handle the sight of blood, disfigured limbs etc. So by making it compulsory would mean less drivers.

Take it further.
EVERY driver, car, van, truck required to hold a first aid certificate,
That certificate needs to be updated how often ?
So 67 year old Mrs Smith who uses a Zimmer frame when out of her car looses her licence because she can no longer do first aid .
Daft ideal

UKtramp:
I like to think I am as good as any paramedic out there

Did your imaginary brother in law teach you?

nick2008:
Answer NO
Reason
Some / a lot of people can’t handle the sight of blood, disfigured limbs etc. So by making it compulsory would mean less drivers.

Take it further.
EVERY driver, car, van, truck required to hold a first aid certificate,
That certificate needs to be updated how often ?
So 67 year old Mrs Smith who uses a Zimmer frame when out of her car looses her licence because she can no longer do first aid .
Daft ideal

Well Mrs Smith on her Zimmer frame isn’t really going to be of much use regardless to be fair on her. I meant any professional driver should be trained in first aid as part of their driver training. The general public should know also but not compulsory, Mrs Smith can now keep her licence so long as she understands that she will not be able to hold an HGV one.

Grumpy_old_trucker:

UKtramp:

Did your imaginary brother in law teach you?

I don’t have imaginary relatives, just friends

UKtramp:

robroy:

Another Avatar soon then… :smiley:

AndrewG:

UKtramp:

robroy:

Another Avatar soon then… :smiley:

Keep it under your hat Andrew, it will appear smoothly so people will not even notice, I am still officially a member of the club.

You might like to think it… but I doubt you are, you do know that most people on ambulances are not qualified paramedics? Most are technicians. to become a Paramedic is more than doing a couple evening training with ST Johns ambulance or the Red Cross.

Rikki-UK:

You might like to think it… but I doubt you are, you do know that most people on ambulances are not qualified paramedics? Most are technicians. to become a Paramedic is more than doing a couple evening training with ST Johns ambulance or the Red Cross.

Yes I am aware of that, I was also trained as a life support technician off shore when I worked in the diving industry, we spent 5 weeks with paramedics as part of our course, I am also a qualified rescue diver. So what makes you doubt my thinking this? I am just full of surprises aint I. I don’t lie about what my qualifications are, I see little point in that, believe me, don’t believe me, I care very little other than I can prove everything I say I am. I know I may appear a fool on here, but that is as far as it goes, on here I act the fool, in my career, well it is distinguished. Just to edit this as I forgot to mention an important aspect to my claim, I spent 6 months working in hyperbaric medicine with a hyperbaric doctor, I am also on the Hyperbaric chamber emergency response contact list stationed at BUPA in Anlaby when I ring them to notify that I am available. In the event of any serious diver pressure related issues, I assist the doctors. At times depending on who the doctor on call is, I can advise him! Hows that for blowing my own trumpet.

UKtramp:

Rikki-UK:

Yes I am aware of that, I was also trained as a life support technician off shore when I worked in the diving industry, we spent 5 weeks with paramedics as part of our course, I am also a qualified rescue diver. So what makes you doubt my thinking this? I am just full of surprises aint I. I don’t lie about what my qualifications are, I see little point in that, believe me, don’t believe me, I care very little other than I can prove everything I say I am. I know I may appear a fool on here, but that is as far as it goes, on here I act the fool, in my career, well it is distinguished. Just to edit this as I forgot to mention an important aspect to my claim, I spent 6 months working in hyperbaric medicine with a hyperbaric doctor, I am also on the Hyperbaric chamber emergency response contact list stationed at BUPA in Anlaby when I ring them to notify that I am available. In the event of any serious diver pressure related issues, I assist the doctors. At times depending on who the doctor on call is, I can advise him! Hows that for blowing my own trumpet.

between dinner parties and keeping all the qualifications up to date (even the imaginary ones) plus posting total pish on here with at least 3 users names,heres a quick question for you…how the ■■■■ do you have any time left in the week to do a shift ?

dieseldog999:

UKtramp:

Rikki-UK:

between dinner parties and keeping all the qualifications up to date (even the imaginary ones) plus posting total pish on here with at least 3 users names,heres a quick question for you…how the [zb] do you have any time left in the week to do a shift ?

Haven’t you heard of a TARDIS. It’s all wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

dieseldog999:
between dinner parties and keeping all the qualifications up to date (even the imaginary ones) plus posting total pish on here with at least 3 users names,heres a quick question for you…how the [zb] do you have any time left in the week to do a shift ?

I do not have 3 user names and surely the mods can confirm this? I have just the one, the diving bit is all in my past although I am still on the emergency list for the hyperbaric chamber. I still run my own business although my sons run it for me, I still work in it though, I only do one job at the moment, I just like driving. It is all true, I live in one the most affluent areas of Hull, how do you think I do this? from driving? I doubt that very much.

UKtramp:

dieseldog999:

I do not have 3 user names and surely the mods can confirm this? I have just the one, the diving bit is all in my past although I am still on the emergency list for the hyperbaric chamber. I still run my own business although my sons run it for me, I still work in it though, I only do one job at the moment, I just like driving. It is all true, I live in one the most affluent areas of Hull, how do you think I do this? from driving? I doubt that very much.

Affluent and Hull. Not two words I’ve heard in same sentence before

P Stoff:

UKtramp:

dieseldog999:

Affluent and Hull. Not two words I’ve heard in same sentence before

I live on the outskirts thank god. You are correct in your assumption. I am from Kirk Ella which is not really Hull other than the HU post code.